Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Legal Implications if you Draw Your Pistol?

I can deal with the bad guy, it's the police, DA and the judge that I fear.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by the deer hunter View Post
    I quit flipping people off once I started carrying a gun. No point instigating.
    That's my attitude. I've always erred on the side of non-confrontation, but once I started carrying regularly that went up by a factor of 10. I don't want it ever to be said (Truthfully, anyway) by witnesses that I was being anything other than level-headed and reasonable during whatever altercation that comes up. I want there to be no mistake that if things turn violent it's the result of the other party's actions, not mine.

Edited to Add: I need to spend more time thinking about what I would do while in a vehicle and dealing with a road-rager. If someone was crazy enough to run me off the road in the first place, he'd probably be crazy enough to chase me if I fled. I'm not sure how I feel about engaging in a 100+ MPH chase along a busy interstate while trying to call the police and keep an eye on my (potential) pursuer. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, far from it. It's one that should be considered. But, it's possible more lives would be endangered that way.
    Last edited by Lexington; June 30th, 2016 at 09:31 AM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlackDelta View Post
    I'm not waiting for some psycho to smash my window with a baseball bat before I react. I may get hit in the process, may get glass in my eyes, both of which could render me defenseless. Waiting that long is a bad idea IMO.
    I agree. A baseball bat, particularly if brandished in an aggressive fashion, is a deadly weapon. You pull your deadly weapon on me, I'm pulling my deadly weapon on you. I don't need to wait for you to smash my window.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    That is how I feel. The legal fees and court costs are astronomical even in a "good" shoot. Also, the legal system may put you in jail for no good reason. Our judicial system is largely about extorting money out of people. The only thing worse is getting killed, and that is the decision, isn't it?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    That is how I feel. The legal fees and court costs are astronomical even in a "good" shoot. Also, the legal system may put you in jail for no good reason. Our judicial system is largely about extorting money out of people. The only thing worse is getting killed, and that is the decision, isn't it?
    You're dead-to-nutz right! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    - bamboomaster

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I agree, you have to weigh the decision of pulling a gun (then most likely having to use it) against a 50-50 shot you'll go to jail for life. Depending on the political winds at the time. God forbid race or other factors such as this play into it. These days it really has to go further than "I felt threatened" it needs to go into the range of this person was definitely trying to kill me and all possible routes of Escape were blocked excetera excetera even then good luck.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by the deer hunter View Post
    I agree, you have to weigh the decision of pulling a gun (then most likely having to use it) against a 50-50 shot you'll go to jail for life. Depending on the political winds at the time. God forbid race or other factors such as this play into it. These days it really has to go further than "I felt threatened" it needs to go into the range of this person was definitely trying to kill me and all possible routes of Escape were blocked excetera excetera even then good luck.
    The ironic truth is I'm even less likely to draw / fire on a person of color than a "white"... Because in the back of my head I know I'm more likely to 'get in trouble' when race is involved (in case it's unclear, I myself am "pale"). Do I like that? No. Do I think that's racist? Well... maybe in reverse! But it remains the simple truth. Some white crackhead moron gets out of his car and heads at me with a baseball bat, I'm probably pulling. Same situation, but darker skin tone? Might be a different call... 'cuz the truth is I'd rather live than die - but I'd rather live NOT in prison, if possible.

Oh boy... I guess I'm a "deplorable" racist for even thinking such things. I should probably, it seems, assume that darker-than-pink gent with the baseball bat just wants to have an open-minded discussion about 2nd amendment rights, right?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    Exactly.

I hope none of us ever have to drop the hammer on someone and be put in that situation. I don’t know about anyone else but the first phone call I make won’t be to the police it will be to my attorney! If it happen outside of the house I’m not even sticking around at the scene to deal with the police. I would get in my car and drive away, there’s no law stating you have to stick around. Everyone needs to realize you’re going to be at the epicenter of a murder investigation regardless. You can turn yourself in the next day after you’ve been fully prepped by your legal team. If that option is not available it will be in your best interest to keep your mouth SHUT and seek legal counsel before speaking a word to the police.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by K31 View Post
    Exactly.

I hope none of us ever have to drop the hammer on someone and be put in that situation. I don’t know about anyone else but the first phone call I make won’t be to the police it will be to my attorney! If it happen outside of the house I’m not even sticking around at the scene to deal with the police. I would get in my car and drive away, there’s no law stating you have to stick around. Everyone needs to realize you’re going to be at the epicenter of a murder investigation regardless. You can turn yourself in the next day after you’ve been fully prepped by your legal team. If that option is not available it will be in your best interest to keep your mouth SHUT and seek legal counsel before speaking a word to the police.
    I would suggest you speak to your attorney now and get some professional advice on the topic before you really need it.

(Delaware County)

What for?

My first priority after a defensive shoot would be ensuring my continued safety. I’m not obligated to stick around in a situation that could be hazardous to me. If I shoot a guy and his buddies are still on the scene I’m not sticking around. I have every right to get myself to a safe location and call the police from there. The cops/jury will understand your flight in that instance as long as you call them as soon as it is feasible for you to do so.
    Last edited by K31; September 28th, 2016 at 11:20 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast