Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bushmaster Ar-15 Questions

First off, I hope you all will excuse my ignorance. I know very little about assault rifles, but I am very interested in owning one in the future. In particular, I like the Bushmaster M4 style rifle. Personally, I like my guns with lots of attachments (holographic sight, flashlight, laser sight, foregrip, etc.) Unfortunately I doubt I will have the money for the gun and all of these attachments any time soon. Consequently, I would like to get one without all the bells and whistles, and slowly add to it. How easy is it to add things to your gun? For example, I would want picatinny rails to hold all these attachments. Can you add these if you start with smooth handguards? Any information you can provide would be much appreciated, I want to learn as much as possible about the gun and about my options. Thanks very much!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Bushmaster Ar-15 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Hoootie View Post
    First off, I hope you all will excuse my ignorance. I know very little about assault rifles, but I am very interested in owning one in the future. In particular, I like the Bushmaster M4 style rifle. Personally, I like my guns with lots of attachments (holographic sight, flashlight, laser sight, foregrip, etc.) Unfortunately I doubt I will have the money for the gun and all of these attachments any time soon. Consequently, I would like to get one without all the bells and whistles, and slowly add to it. How easy is it to add things to your gun? For example, I would want picatinny rails to hold all these attachments. Can you add these if you start with smooth handguards? Any information you can provide would be much appreciated, I want to learn as much as possible about the gun and about my options. Thanks very much!
    First of all, let me just correct you on the term "assault rifle". that's a term the media, and anti-gunners gave them to make them sound more scary to the sheep population. By definition, an assault rifle must have select fire, meaning that you must be able to switch between semi, burst, full auto.

Personally, I would suggest going with RRA (Rock River Arms) Entry Tactical model. That's what I started with for my first AR, and I absolutely love it.

It fairly easy to install new toys onto your rifle(s). The hand guards just pop off, and you can replace them with a new set of hand guards that have picatinny rails. Or, you can do what I did, and order a set of Tapco rails that mount right onto the stock hand guards.

Proud member of:

(Westmoreland County)

The AR15 platform is extremely east to adapt to your needs (or wants!) You can always buy a base rifle and change each feature as you have money for it. I have a Bushmaster M4A1 and I love it!

(Centre County)

Again, to reiterate, an AR15 IS NOT an assault rifle!!.

It is a semi automatic sporting rifle that looks very similar to a very popular military rifle (which is an assault weapon).

You can outfit these just about any way you care to and them some. With what you were talking about you will want to start with a flat top model (receiver already has the Picatinny rails on it).

First thing to do is get the catalogs or go online to Armalite, Rock River Arms, Bushmaster, DPMS, Colt, Stag Arms, etc. and look at the different rifles in the catalogs. This will show you many different configurations and the options that you can add.

Me personally, I like RRA and Stag (although I also own an Armalite in the standard configuration).

Also, you can build your own from the ground up. Start by buying one of the PaFOA marked lower receivers from Anvil Arms (see the thread in Group Buys). After that you buy what you need to build the rifle of your dreams.

Building your own is not hard if you have a little mechanical ability and you get the satisfaction of saying you built it yourself. If you don't have the funds to buy one already complete this way you can put the pieces on when you can afford it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Listen to Xring. He can help you build "semi automatic sporting rifle that looks very similar to a very popular military rifle" anyway you want.

LOL thats funny
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Centre County)

In fact, I have one for sale.

PM me if interested. I am going to put it in the for sale also.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; December 21st, 2007 at 08:48 AM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Hoootie,

The rifle Xring is selling seems like a fair price.

Good luck with your purchase, I'm starting my journey into the world of "Evil Black Rifles" myself.

Heh. Heh. Speaking of "evil", I was showing my wife pics of different ARs and I showed her that I could get the stock/grips in green, brown or black... she said, and I sh!t you not... "I like the BLACK... it looks more EVIL!"

If you decide to build, or just want to learn a lot, check out this thread:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/rifles-42...-ar-build.html
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

How easy is it to add things to your gun? Its like playing with MR Potato head... Take this off put that on.... very easy... fully customizable....

I would want picatinny rails to hold all these attachments. Can you add these if you start with smooth handguards?

YOu can add them later but if you buy a tactical AR15 that has the rails and flip up sites already you will end saving money in the long run... For Stag and S&W AR15's its actually worth the money to upgrade the rifle to get the floating rail and flip up sites...

Unfortunately Xring that is out of my current price range. It is right up my alley though, I wish I could just dip into my savings...I am hoping to spend 700-800 initially. I've seen the bare essentials on gunbroker for this much. I should probably save a little longer though, because I think I should really start out with decent picatinny rails and flip-up sights. Also, can you mount a acog scope/red dot on top of a carry handle?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoootie View Post
    Also, can you mount a acog scope/red dot on top of a carry handle?

yes... Acog have a built in mount for carry handle and there is a rail mount for carry handles... But if you get a removable carry handle it mounts a little lower and you can still rest your cheek on th estock...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast