Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Sent away for Florida CCW...

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Not going to steal the thread as it has been discussed many times in other threads. How do you transport from NJ to PA. What covers you if stopped in NJ on your way to PA?
    I have a fire arms ID in NJ and can carry it unloaded with ammo in another place. If my gun is in my range bag and my ammo is in my glove box I am fine. Once in PA or DE I can pull over and load it and put it on my person.
    SECONDS matter when the Police are MINUTES away!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDrini-NJ View Post
    I have a fire arms ID in NJ and can carry it unloaded with ammo in another place. If my gun is in my range bag and my ammo is in my glove box I am fine. Once in PA or DE I can pull over and load it and put it on my person.

I suggest that you read:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ly-report.html

and some of the threads linked therein that related specifically to the issue.
    IANAL

Question Re: Sent away for Florida CCW...

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    I suggest that you read:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ly-report.html

and some of the threads linked therein that related specifically to the issue.
    When I go shooting with LEO friends of mine that is how they tell me to carry it. I can't put it in a trunk because I have a truck. As long as the ammo and firearm are separate and not easily accessed, it's legal to transport to range or anywhere else provided the firearm is registered, the magazines are not loaded and under the max capacity allowed by state law (in NJ it's 15 rd. magazines), and the ammo you possess is legal (no hollow points). You can purchase FMJ hollow points for home self defense however when in transport the rounds the gun shouldn't be with you, just to be on the safe side of LEO's that don't know the laws as well as the civilian. I have the laws printed out for transporting a firearm in my home state of NJ and carrying into another state you possess a CCW in does not need to be notified of you bringing it there. I asked all these questions and the NRA website sells many books on these issues. If any of what I said here is incorrect please point it out to me so I know if I was informed of everything correctly...

When I go shooting with LEO friends of mine that is how they tell me to carry it. I can't put it in a trunk because I have a truck. As long as the ammo and firearm are separate and not easily accessed, it's legal to transport to range or anywhere else provided the firearm is registered, the magazines are not loaded and under the max capacity allowed by state law (in NJ it's 15 rd. magazines), and the ammo you possess is legal (no hollow points). You can purchase FMJ hollow points for home self defense however when in transport the rounds the gun shouldn't be with you, just to be on the safe side of LEO's that don't know the laws as well as the civilian. I have the laws printed out for transporting a firearm in my home state of NJ and carrying into another state you possess a CCW in does not need to be notified of you bringing it there. I asked all these questions and the NRA website sells many books on these issues. If any of what I said here is incorrect please point it out to me so I know if I was informed of everything correctly...
    Maybe you should take your own advice and NOT listen to what your LEO friends have to say about the subject. If you have the NJ transport law handy you should be able to find the exception which allows you to transport to another state for the sole purpose of carrying. (Hint: That's sarcasm and you won't find it).

I HIGHLY suggest researching the laws for yourself and not relying on LEOs to interpret the law for you. It's my opinion, as well as others on this board that what you intend to do is illegal. You may come to a different conclusion, but when you're dealing with a charge that would prohibit you from owning firearms for the rest of your life (not to mention royally screwing up your life) it's not something to take lightly.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Erie County)

Received in about three weeks.

Question Re: Sent away for Florida CCW...

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Maybe you should take your own advice and NOT listen to what your LEO friends have to say about the subject. If you have the NJ transport law handy you should be able to find the exception which allows you to transport to another state for the sole purpose of carrying. (Hint: That's sarcasm and you won't find it).

I HIGHLY suggest researching the laws for yourself and not relying on LEOs to interpret the law for you. It's my opinion, as well as others on this board that what you intend to do is illegal. You may come to a different conclusion, but when you're dealing with a charge that would prohibit you from owning firearms for the rest of your life (not to mention royally screwing up your life) it's not something to take lightly.

What is illegal about it? How else would you transport the firearm to use it for protection in a state? If I have a CCW license in for FL and the PA laws state it recognizes the CCW license and I have the proper ID for transporting the firearm in my state, within the confines of the law, what is the problem? I don't want to have my right taken from on a technicality, but why have a license if I can't use it in any state because I can't get the firearm there?

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

So the glove box is out, but a locked gun case is fine...it doesn't say whether your destination matters or not.
    Last edited by JDrini-NJ; August 28th, 2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: add a link

(Chester County)

When I go shooting with LEO friends of mine that is how they tell me to carry it. I can't put it in a trunk because I have a truck. As long as the ammo and firearm are separate and not easily accessed, it's legal to transport to range

YES if -
    NJSA 29-6g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
    Also there is no transport methodology for ammo at all other than that which would deem the weapon 'loaded'.

or anywhere else

NO - only as specified in 2C:39-6

provided the firearm is registered,

NJ does not have mandatory registration - only a 'sales' database for handguns and FFL transfers.

the magazines are not loaded and under the max capacity allowed by state law (in NJ it's 15 rd. magazines), and the ammo you possess is legal (no hollow points).

NO - HPs are legal to possess and transport if you are engaged in a 2C:39-6 activity (ref 2C:39-3f) which includes range.

You can purchase FMJ hollow points for home self defense

YES along with the other 39-6 activities, including range. BTW there isn't a FMJ hollow-point.

however when in transport the rounds the gun shouldn't be with you, just to be on the safe side of LEO's that don't know the laws as well as the civilian.

Can't help if some LEOs are un-knowledgable. There's nothing that would prevent any LEO from jackiong someone up due to their ignorance of the law.

I have the laws printed out for transporting a firearm in my home state of NJ

There's only one - 2C:39-6g and here's a link to better explain it to you:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ml#post1222978

and carrying into another state you possess a CCW in does not need to be notified of you bringing it there.

Never heard of civilian CCW notification. There use to be a notification requirement for out-of-state on-duty LEOs but don't know what, if any states, still require it.

I asked all these questions

Who did you ask and what did they say; was it written or verbal? Did they give you any type of statutory, regulatory, or case law corroboration for what they said?

and the NRA website sells many books on these issues. If any of what I said here is incorrect please point it out to me so I know if I was informed of everything correctly...
    From your comments you don't seem to have read or fail to understand the issues in the previoulsy posted link.

As zackattack784 already asked: since you already have the statutes, specifically what exemption are you asserting when transporting your handgun while in NJ to/from an out-of-state location for the purposes of OC/CC?

Red inserts mine.
    Last edited by tl_3237; August 28th, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
    IANAL

(Chester County)

What is illegal about it? How else would you transport the firearm to use it for protection in a state? If I have a CCW license in for FL and the PA laws state it recognizes the CCW license and I have the proper ID for transporting the firearm in my state, within the confines of the law, what is the problem? I don't want to have my right taken from on a technicality, but why have a license if I can't use it in any state because I can't get the firearm there?
    For handgun transport NJ only recognizes a limited number of exemptions:
    1. NJCCW - no other state's;
    2. professional exemptions (such as Feds, military, etc);
    3. certain activities - range, repair, moving, etc (see 2C:39-6).

Other than those, you are liable to a charge of violating 2C:39-5b (5 years) while possessing off your property and in NJ.

BTW your NJFID - DOES NOT ALLOW FOR THE POSSESSION OF HANDGUNS.

It only allows transport of LONGARMS, purchase of longarms, and ammo purchase.

As to your last question - you would have to take that issue up with your legislative representatives but, in the meantime, your stuck with the current laws unless you want to make case law.

ETA:

You added later:
    "http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

There is the link for transporting firearms through NJ "

That NJSP website has several instances that do not comport with state statutes. The link in the previous post I gave explaining 39-6g will point out the fallacy for what you are relying on from the NJSP. Also bear in mind that you are not transporting 'THROUGH' NJ because NJ is your origin or destination.
    Last edited by tl_3237; August 28th, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    For handgun transport NJ only recognizes a limited number of exemptions:
    1. NJCCW - no other state's;
    2. professional exemptions (such as Feds, military, etc);
    3. certain activities - range, repair, moving, etc (see 2C:39-6).

Other than those, you are liable to a charge of violating 2C:39-5b (5 years) while possessing off your property and in NJ.

BTW your NJFID - DOES NOT ALLOW FOR THE POSSESSION OF HANDGUNS.

It only allows transport of LONGARMS, purchase of longarms, and ammo purchase.

As to your last question - you would have to take that issue up with your legislative representatives but, in the meantime, your stuck with the current laws unless you want to make case law.

ETA:

You added later:
    "http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

There is the link for transporting firearms through NJ "

That NJSP website has several instances that do not comport with state statutes. The link in the previous post I gave explaining 39-6g will point out the fallacy for what you are relying on from the NJSP. Also bear in mind that you are not transporting 'THROUGH' NJ because NJ is your origin or destination.
    I have the required paperwork for my handgun as well. Had to register it and get a separate permit as well.

(Chester County)

I have the required paperwork for my handgun as well. Had to register it and get a separate permit as well.
    You have a pistol purchase permit which allows you to -- well, acquire a pistol and buy ammo - nothing more. Since it is a handgun, a copy is sent by the transferor to NJSP for database entry.

With it you comport with:

NJS 2C:58-3. a. Permit to purchase a handgun. No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, nor receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire a handgun unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a dealer under this chapter or has first secured a permit to purchase a handgun as provided by this section.
    Last edited by tl_3237; August 28th, 2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added statute
    IANAL

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast