Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ricketts Glen State Park

So I found these two threads from 2010 about how the park seems to try and suggest that patrons in the park not carry firearms

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=99675

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=108709

From the second thread it seems their signs have been updated in accordance of state law.

Has anyone been here recently especially camped? Are they still asking about firearms? If you answer yes, does that get you an extra attention from the rangers?

I assumed it would be no issue as I understand the law for PA state parks. I figured id search it here just in case as I am leaving tomorrow morning.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Ricketts Glen State Park

According to the parks website, as long as you have your PA LTCF and have your firearm concealed, your good to go.

"Use extreme caution with firearms at all times. Other visitors use the park during hunting seasons. Firearms and archery equipment used for hunting may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment shall be kept in the owner’s vehicle or enclosed trailer. Exceptions include: law enforcement officers and individuals with a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms are authorized to carry a firearm concealed on their person while they are within a state park."

Standard Disclaimer: IANAL.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    So I found these two threads from 2010 about how the park seems to try and suggest that patrons in the park not carry firearms

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=99675

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=108709

From the second thread it seems their signs have been updated in accordance of state law.

Has anyone been here recently especially camped? Are they still asking about firearms? If you answer yes, does that get you an extra attention from the rangers?

I assumed it would be no issue as I understand the law for PA state parks. I figured id search it here just in case as I am leaving tomorrow morning.
    I was there over the summer. No questions and no problems.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilvish View Post
    According to the parks website, as long as you have your PA LTCF and have your firearm concealed, your good to go.

"Use extreme caution with firearms at all times. Other visitors use the park during hunting seasons. Firearms and archery equipment used for hunting may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment shall be kept in the owner’s vehicle or enclosed trailer. Exceptions include: law enforcement officers and individuals with a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms are authorized to carry a firearm concealed on their person while they are within a state park."

Standard Disclaimer: IANAL.
    First off welcome to PAFOA.

I did not state it in the original post. But I was aware that I was good to go based off their written policy and the law. However that does not stop some government agency's from still harassing you about it *cough* Philly *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I was there over the summer. No questions and no problems.
    Thanks. Glad to hear I will probably not have to prove I can carry there.
    Last edited by QuackXP; September 22nd, 2016 at 09:45 PM.

(York County)

I can't speak to Ricketts Glenn, but I camp exclusively at PA state parks and have not had anyone question my activities. Each park in the system is run mostly in the way a particular park manager deems necessary, but the law is what it is. Keep it concealed and go about your business. Ive found most rangers to be pretty decent people. Like anything else, there will be those who let their personal opinions get in the way of good conduct, but in general, I think the law being on your side will carry the day.

(Allegheny County)

Forgot about this to report back what actually happened.

I noticed that the rangers where asking people in front of me if they had any alcohol, firewood, or firearms. However by time they got to me a line started forming and the couple in front of me had an issue insisting that they booked a cabin when there reservation was for a campsite. They just checked me in without asking any questions.

So I really don't know how far they where going to push it had I said "yes, I have a firearm".
    Last edited by QuackXP; November 8th, 2016 at 11:08 AM.

(York County)

Don't see how they have anything to push. They'd probably just reiterate what the law is and move on. I've not been to a state park yet that asked whether I have a firearm. Plenty of them concerned about ash borers and alcohol, though.