Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default semi-auto cleaning tips? i go through SO MANY patches!

Am i doing something wrong? it literally takes me forty five minutes to get my barrel patches coming out clean. i've used hoppes and weapon shield.. and will try something else if it will make a profound difference, though not looking for some do it yourself recipes... i don't need 10 gallons of the stuff. it doesn't matter which gun it is, from a 92FS to a M&P9c to my TCP... i'll leave revolves out of it for the moment.

are there any tips to speed up getting clean patches through my barrel, or am i just being too anal?

apologize if this should have gone in a different forum. (??)

edit: to be clear, i don't use hoppes and weapon shield at the same time, or same cleaning. i meant i've tried both.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: semi-auto cleaning tips? i go through SO MANY patches!

Try cleaning the breech area thoroughly before putting patches into the barrel. I have found that patches pick up a lot of grime as they enter the bore. Also, try slowing down a bit. Solvents don't work instantly.

(Lawrence County)

Are you using lead rounds?

...If not, I think you're cleaning too much. A barrel will foul a bit, but then stop for the most part. If you aren't losing accuracy, you don't need to clean that hard.

I have over 45K on onb of my pistols and it may have seen a brush a couple times. Usually just a wipe through with a boresnake and Weapon Shield. I don't need perfectly clean patches.

Rifles are a different beast and need more cleaning.

LycanjustthewayIdoitthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Cumberland County)

I have a solution. Don't clean it...

It depends of the gun I suppose. If I'm not carrying my XD I rarely give it a deep cleaning. It doesn't affect it until the 1500 round point or so, when it starts to extract weakly. I haven't ever given my Ruger MKIII a good cleaning. Just scrub the chamber out, snake the barrel, clean the mags, and .22 is duuuurrty.

It is a matter of personal preference. If it's not a gun you carry or use for defense I see nothing wrong with leaving it a little dirty. My only caveat is keeping finishes in good condition. Keep blued steel oiled lightly or wipe it down with a silicone rag. You want to avoid rust. Gotta keep an eye on stainless too. It's not called stainproof steel.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Also, try slowing down a bit. Solvents don't work instantly.
    An excellent point. If you're like me you are looking for a quick fix. I buy Hoppe's by the 55 gallon drum...

Soak your barrel in Hoppe's for a little while. Then run a brush and some patches through it. It will work 100 times better and faster than using Hoppe's soaked patches. But remember to never soak anything nickle in Hoppe's, if you have any firearms of the persuation.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

Use a copper bore brush first, scrub the hell out of it. Then use a bore mop or boresnake. after that use a patch to clean up any left over residue, which there shouldn't be.

(Monroe County)

It doesnt have anything to do with your gun, it has to do with the ammunition, so ammo is extremely dirty , while others you hardly noticed any soiling.

Cheap bargain ammo is the dirtiest, also the bulkpacks that walmart sells is very dirty in in 9mm and .45 (remingtons)

Blazer is always dirty.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Are you using lead rounds?

...If not, I think you're cleaning too much. A barrel will foul a bit, but then stop for the most part. If you aren't losing accuracy, you don't need to clean that hard.

I have over 45K on onb of my pistols and it may have seen a brush a couple times. Usually just a wipe through with a boresnake and Weapon Shield. I don't need perfectly clean patches.

Rifles are a different beast and need more cleaning.

LycanjustthewayIdoitthrope
    I think I was cleaning too much, too. Probably still am. Used to clean after every range trip; now I like to clean around every 200 rounds.

Instead of the pesky patches, I think I'm going to try some cloth instead.

Also, has anyone tried CRC Industries 05007 Power Lube? The stuff smells strikingly similar to the Hoppes solvent, and I have a bunch sitting around.

I'll also probably use some general oil I have sitting around to oil it up...I have a feeling these "firearm specific" cleaning supplies are a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    I'll also probably use some general oil I have sitting around to oil it up...I have a feeling these "firearm specific" cleaning supplies are a waste of money.
    I still use Hoppe's for bore cleaning, but for oil- Mobil 1, or any synthetic motor oil (@ $20/gal) performs just as good as the el dorado, molecular bonding, super deluxe, $20/4oz gun specific stuff. Synthetic or lithium grease is good for rails on semi's.

I'm an ex-Marine & it took a very long time, but I'm now convinced that a firearm does not always have to be white glove rifle inspection clean, after every range session. I shoot alot & depending on the weapon, I usually only give my carry pistols, AR's & AK, a very thorough cleaning 2-4 times a year. They DO get field stripped, wiped down & properly lubed after use, though.

If it rotates, it needs oil. If it slides, it needs grease.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

thanks all for the good feedback.

a big part of the issue may be that i often shoot at an indoor place that requires that i purchase their (crap) ammo. i think it's time i got off my ass and joined an outdoor range, saved myself the money, and shot better ammo.

ranges that require you to shoot their ammo should offer an option to pay a "tax" on each box of outside ammo you bring in. tired of shooting crap, and want to be able to try various JHPs without essentially sneaking them in. i suppose i only have myself to blame.

anyway, i treat all my guns as though they may be for self-defense, so i do clean very well. that said, glad to hear that maybe i'm a bit too overzealous.

finally, think i'm going to abandon weaponshield and go back to hoppes, followed by oil. i got some rust on one of my springs, and that never happened using oil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast