Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Little Help with slugs

I have a 20GA Mossberg 500 field/deer combo I use for hunting.

I took it out yesterday and put a few slugs through it. All were 2 3/4" Remington slugs (the cheaper ones) These are slugs through the smooth bore not sabots.

I'd put about 15 downrange. I had a nice group considering. All were within 4" of each other at 50 yards. Problem is the were all High about 7" and right about 4" ...

I do not have any "real" sights on the shotgun. I added those fiber optic ones that clip on the rail of the barrel. Could they be off? The look straight to me. I'm going to get new batteries for my bore sighter and see where that is compared to the sights...

Other than adjusting my shots low/left is there something else that I can do?
    Last edited by soup; July 12th, 2010 at 01:23 PM.

Default Re: Little Help with slugs

We put side saddle mounts and red dots on both of our slug guns. The cost was less tham $100.00 and made accurate shots a snap.
    Low light shots in the early morning and evening are a plus.
    CDNN had mounts at a fair price but do not know about the receiver size of the 20 ga.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    I'd put about 15 downrange. I had a nice group considering. All were within 4" of each other at 100 yards. Problem is the were all High about 7" and right about 4" ...
    How were you shooting? From a solid rest? If so, then the sights are probably off. Did you try shooting without the cliped on fiber optics?

I wouldn't bother with the bore sighter. They're not that accurate and won't tell you much more than you already know.

A 4" group at 100yrs with a smooth bore slug is pretty nice. Hope you can get the sights straightened out.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Did a quick search on Google and found several Aimtech saddle mounts for less than $40.00.

If you want to put them on or take them off it just takes a few minutes.

A friends 500 12 ga. shoots groups about like yours with Federal cheap slugs and a dot. Maybe a different sight would let you shoot brag groups with yours.

As you can tell being OLD there is no mention of irons, maybe some younger member can offer help in that direction.

(Allegheny County)

I assume your clip-on sights are not adjustable for elevation and windage? If not, get a set that are...

http://www.hivizsights.com/Shotgun-Sights-C1.aspx

You could also try different slugs to see if they like your SG better.
    Last edited by Hawk; July 12th, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    How were you shooting? From a solid rest? If so, then the sights are probably off. Did you try shooting without the cliped on fiber optics?

I wouldn't bother with the bore sighter. They're not that accurate and won't tell you much more than you already know.

A 4" group at 100yrs with a smooth bore slug is pretty nice. Hope you can get the sights straightened out.
    I was shooting from a sitting position using a bench. No solid rest. I was thinking I was flinching but ruled that out because when I flinch I'm usually Low Right. I also made a mistake. I was at 50yds not 100 yds. Sorry. Makes it less awesome I know...

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Did a quick search on Google and found several Aimtech saddle mounts for less than $40.00.

If you want to put them on or take them off it just takes a few minutes.

A friends 500 12 ga. shoots groups about like yours with Federal cheap slugs and a dot. Maybe a different sight would let you shoot brag groups with yours.

As you can tell being OLD there is no mention of irons, maybe some younger member can offer help in that direction.
    Thanks, I'll take a look. I really didn't want to put much money into this because I usually use the rifled barrel for deer but I ran into a situation last year while squirrel hunting in 5C where I could have gotten a doe if I had the ability to switch out to a slug.

I seem to be on target with shot and the patterning seems to be ok. I'll take it out a few more times with different ammo and see what happens.

Sorry loss of reading comprehension, over looked the smooth/rifled combo.
    At your age probably not a good investment when you can still see the rifle sights.
    Butting out
    Phill

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    I was shooting from a sitting position using a bench. No solid rest. I was thinking I was flinching but ruled that out because when I flinch I'm usually Low Right. I also made a mistake. I was at 50yds not 100 yds. Sorry. Makes it less awesome I know...
    First step, rule you out of the equation. Even though you think you're not flinching, you may be the problem. Shoot it from as solid a rest as you can and/or have someone else shoot it.

Try shooting it without the fiber optic sights. Rule out everything else before you look at the sights being the problem.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    First step, rule you out of the equation. Even though you think you're not flinching, you may be the problem. Shoot it from as solid a rest as you can and/or have someone else shoot it.

Try shooting it without the fiber optic sights. Rule out everything else before you look at the sights being the problem.
    Ok, will do. Thanks. Might be about 2 weeks before I can get out to the range again though...