Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default Any indoor ranges in the West Shore area?

Besides going to the State Game Lands on 34/944, I'd like to find a place which has an indoor range. Does anyone know of any in the Cumberland County area?

Dave G.

(York County)

Default Re: Any indoor ranges in the West Shore area?

i posted a link to WSSA in this thread
    they have an indoor range, you can only shoot pistol with non jacketed ammo, .22 rifles and bows.the range closes at dusk but the indoor range is open till 11pm. it costs $55 a year and you can come and go as you please. when i go i seem to have the whole place to myself.
    Last edited by Lee-online; October 10th, 2006 at 06:18 PM.

(York County)

Talking Re: Any indoor ranges in the West Shore area?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
    i posted a link to WSSA in this thread
    they have an indoor range, you can only shoot pistol with non jacketed ammo, .22 rifles and bows.the range closes at dusk but the indoor range is open till 11pm. it costs $55 a year and you can come and go as you please. when i go i seem to have the whole place to myself.
    Hey Lee - the indoor range is now approved for jacketed ammo, after much hullabaloo and votes on changing the Constitution of the Association.

There are some restrictions, though - maximum feet per second per bullet weight, no rifle rounds, etc. Read the range rules here.

Section 5. Rules Pertaining to firearms, and ammunition loads are as follows:

A. No center-fire rifles are allowed on the indoor range.

B. No shotguns are allowed on the indoor range.

C. Handguns are controlled by the following ammunition constraints:

1. Projectiles of less than 180 grains must not exceed a maximum velocity of 1250 fps.

2. Projectiles of 180 grains to 250 grains must not exceed a maximum velocity of 1000 fps.

3. Projectile size must not exceed a maximum of .45 caliber.

4. Maximum projectile weight allowable is 250 grains.

D. No hardened or armor piercing rounds are allowed.

E. No hollow point projectiles are allowed.

I'll second the motion that it's a good place to shoot at. The range has various shooting groups - cowboy action shooting, IDPA, Bullseye .22, etc. All the responsible members ask is that you not to be an idiot and shoot up the place like a few have done lately.

Applications are available online, you need a sponsoring member, and the meetings are the last Tuesday of the month.
    Last edited by NoHackrLtd; May 3rd, 2007 at 10:55 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Carlisle gun club has an indoor pistol range, I am not a member, I just know that its there. If its not nice enough to shoot outside, its nice enough to reload inside

(York County)

I drove onto the shooting club located in Enola one afternoon. I know it has a clubhouse, but I can't comment on whether it has an indoor range. It seemed more like a club that guys go hang out to eat, and "oh by the way, you can also shoot here if you want to". I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got from the place.

WSSA in Lewisberry has an indoor range.
    http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/

Mechanicsburg Sportsmen's Association has an Indoor Range, too.
    http://www.msa-pa.org/
    West Shore Sportsmen's Association WSSA Home page

(Cumberland County)

We are lucky to have some great facilities in our area. I have shot at alot of the ranges in the area having shot IPSC in the 90's and some IDPA and alot of cowboy action shooting. The range at Mechanicsburg is a 22 only range. No centerfire. Several years ago there were no active groups shooting indoors (firearms...Mechanicsburg's archery group is very active) I believe the range at the Enola Sportmen's Association is a 22 only range too. I will not join Enola because it is a bar combined with a sportsmen's club. I had gone there once years ago to shoot trap....watching someone walk around with a 12 gauge over one arm and a bottle of beer in the other is wrong on so many level. Don't get me wrong....I like to have a beer or two....but I like to keep shooting and drinking separate.

On to Carlisle. It is a great range. Not the fanciest but it is indoors. I go there with my one buddy quite often to practice cowboy shooting. If you want to learn more about the range...they are holding an indoor cowboy match there this saturday (Feb 7). There'll be a mess of guys there from 8am on to probably about 4pm.

The indoor range at West Shore is a bit more structured in the ways that you can use the range. This has happened over the years because there are irresposible individuals who have damaged the ranges. It's a nice facility and a good bunch of guys. The West Shore posse (cowboy group at west shore) are some of the nicest bunch of guys you'll meet anywhere. Just read the range rules and follow them and you'll be fine.