Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Saw two black bear!

While I was turkey hunting today I saw two black bears. I had my 1911 OC and my 12 gauge Mossberg shottie with 7 1/2 shot chambered with a full choke. It was about 0830 hours the sun had just cracked and the spot I was sitting in since 0530 hadn't resulted in any turkeys. I did see a few deer, and what looked like an 8 point (I'll remember that for in 3 weeks). After that I decided to get up and head back up out of the woods to the tree stand in a lightly wooded field with some pines. I turned on the ATV and placed the shottie in my lap. As I was driving back up I spotted two black spots out of the corner of my eye. I looked up and sure enough it was two black bear about 100 yards out.

I backed up and went the other way to avoid them. I drove down and next thing I know one of them was 20 yards out on its hind legs looking at me. I figured it was more curious then anything. None the less I had my shottie ready just in case. The damn thing stood 8 feet tall at least and as soon as I reved up the ATV to take off, it jumped down and made haste in the other direction. Needless to say I was a little spooked, but it was pretty neat none the less.

And no I did not get any turkey... I took a few hail mary shots, but they were too far.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Saw two black bear!

Isn't that the most awesome thing?

Now you have another thing to add to your hunting paraphenalia...

A CAMERA!!! That would have been a great photo, not something that
    everybody gets to see, no matter how much time they spend in the woods.

It can be a little unnerving, but as you just experienced, that is the scenario
    95% of the time. The bear sensed you... heard you, then got up on it's hind
    legs to get a better wiff of you. Once it figured out you weren't an immediate
    threat it got out of dodge.

(Franklin County)

You unloaded the shotty and your sidearm before mounting the ATV, right?

From this year's Hunting Digest
    ATV USE POLICY

Those of you who have purchased hunting or furtaker licenses since 2000-2001 have become familiar with changes in the Pennsylvania
    Hunting & Trapping Digest. These changes have included the magazine size, the use of full color on many pages and paid
    advertising. The magazine-size format allows a better presentation and easier to read style for many of the new illustrations and tables.
    Color photographs and illustrations not only brighten the publication, but are the modern method of print communications. The move
    to accept paid advertising was made for sound economic reasons. The Game Commission’s share of advertising revenues have
    enabled the agency to save thousands of sportsmen’s dollars in publication and distribution costs.

Among the paid advertisements have been several ads for ATVs. Some of our license buyers and indeed, some of our agency
    employees, have voiced concerns that the appearance of ATV ads in the Digest sends the message that the Game Commission was
    endorsing the use of ATVs and condoning the illegal and unethical use of these machines. This is far from the case. The operation of
    ATVs on State Game Lands and other properties open to public hunting remains a violation of the law and continues to be aggressively
    enforced by our wildlife conservation officers and their deputy WCOs. We view this as no different than the illegal use of
    automobiles, trucks and SUVs on these properties.

It is unlawful to ride ATVs on State Game Lands, except on designated roads open for persons issued a Disabled Persons Permit,
    and who have a valid registration from the Department of Conservation & Natural Resources (DCNR). It is unlawful to ride ATVs on
    private land open to public hunting without the permission of the landowner. It is unlawful to have a loaded firearm on an ATV.
    Individuals issued a Disabled Persons Permit may hunt from a parked ATV. For ATV use regulations on state forests and parks, contact
    the DCNR. For information on using an ATV on the Allegheny National Forest, contact the ANF.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; November 7th, 2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: add cite
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    You unloaded the shotty and your sidearm before mounting the ATV, right?

Doubtful as he took "Hail Mary" shots at turkeys with 7 1/2 shot.....Just an educated guess on my part.
    Jules

(Franklin County)

Hind sight is 20/20. I had my cell phone I tried to get it out after the fact, but they were long gone.

And as for Gregs question I was on private property with my FIL's permission, so I am covered there. I was not shooting off the ATV though. The hail mary shots were from the tree stand later in the afternoon.
    Last edited by Pro2A; November 7th, 2009 at 08:51 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Doubtful as he took "Hail Mary" shots at turkeys with 7 1/2 shot.....Just an educated guess on my part.
    Jules
    I'm not a hunter so feel free to jump all over me. But isn't that a little small? I don't think I've shot trap that small.

As for the ATV, F them.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    And as for Gregs question I was on private property with my FIL's permission, so I am covered there.
    How so? Game regulations apply anywhere, not just on State Game Lands. You still had a hunting license, right? What if your FIL said you didn't need one to hunt on his land?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I'm not a hunter so feel free to jump all over me. But isn't that a little small? I don't think I've shot trap that small.

As for the ATV, F them.
    The regs for turkey hunting require anything smaller then #4 lead shot. I like 7 1/2 for turkey. Thats just me tho.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    How so? Game regulations apply anywhere, not just on State Game Lands. You still had a hunting license, right? What if your FIL said you didn't need one to hunt on his land?
    I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you Greg, I was simply sharing a story about a black bear I saw and you go derail it with some silly regulation that frankly doesn't matter when you are face to face with an 8 foot black bear. Regulations and rules are the least of my concern then.

(Franklin County)

I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you Greg, I was simply sharing a story about a black bear I saw and you go derail
    it with some silly regulation that frankly doesn't matter when you are face to face with an 8 foot black bear. Regulations and rules are the least of my concern then.
    Frankly, I don't care what you did or didn't do, but I can't let a statement like below go unchallenged, because someone else may come along and think it's legal based on your statement, and get jammed up as a result.

I was on private property with my FIL's permission, so I am covered there.
    Not to mention that endorsing illegal activity (even when done out of ignorance) is an infractable violation of forum rules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast