Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Bolt Action Rifle Bolt Lubrication

As I start many of my posts, please don’t laugh at this question. I was just cleaning up a new Remington 783 and cleaning the bolt. I’m curious, I sprayed the entire outside of it With some remoil. I then just wiped down. Thin coat. Do I need to put any lubrication on the docking notch or anything like that like anything? I have read in some places where people put grease on the back of the lugs and in the notch. Like I said, I just sprayed it all down and wiped it off.

Also it would seem that I would need to have some sort of lubricant on this side of the bolt where it contacts the receiver because that seems like a frictionpoint?
    Last edited by Gunowner99; November 30th, 2018 at 05:12 PM.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Warren County)

Default Re: Bolt Action Rifle Bolt Lubrication

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    As I start many of my posts, please don’t laugh at this question. I was just cleaning up a new Remington 783 and cleaning the bolt. I’m curious, I sprayed the entire outside of it With some remoil. I then just wiped down. Thin coat. Do I need to put any lubrication on any of the locking lug or anything like that like the Notch? I have read in some places where people put grease on the back of the locking lugs and in the notch. Like I said, I just sprayed it all down and wiped it off.

Also it would seem that I would need to have some sort of lubricant on this side of the bolt where it contacts the receiver because that seems like a frictionpoint?
    Remoil is OK

Any synthetic motor oil is better and a bunch cheaper. Just save a few ounces in a remoil or other little dispenser container.

Get it all wet and then wipe most of it off. Don't burn a lot of brain cells worrying about it.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Berks County)

I get you, but it seems where the notch is in all of that stuff there that moves around would need some sort of grease? Excuse my lack of correct terms at the moment

Like where It cocks and uncorks there is a lot of movement there so that’s my concern

(Berks County)

Also, how often do you disassemble the entire bolt and clean it and the firing pin and all that?

(Bucks County)

Grease is usually not a good thing for firearms. It slows the action down when it gets cold, dries out over time and generally is shitty to deal with.
    I just spent 3 hours removing the Fudd applied grease on a Jap Arisaka- It was probably slathered up in the 50's, the gun wouldn't fire when it came into the shop.
    Some guns call for grease- bolt lugs on M1 and M14 rifles come to mind.
    Your Remington does not need it.

Depending on how much you fire or hunt with it, once a year to disassemble the bolt should be fine.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Berks County)

I get you. Spray down the bolt/assembly. Wipe off excess. Good to go? Same in receiver, spray inside and wipe off? That’s enough oil? Seems I like things to slip and slide but doesn’t seem that way when I do that but always learning from you pros!

By the way, uncocked on accident when cleaning. Learning point as that was a bitch to fix but googled and saw all I had to do was use edge of my workbench and pull down on it and then rotate back. Tried by hand but that did not work. What’s inside of there some sort of spring?
    Last edited by Gunowner99; November 30th, 2018 at 05:44 PM.

(Bucks County)

Spraying it down is too wet.
    Excess oil will run between the wood and metal, soaking the wood.

Excess oil will also run into places like scope screws, reducing their ability to stay tight.
    Too much lube will also attract and hold dirt, dust, Etc.

Most of the gun should just be clean and dry.
    I often use a q-tip with a little CLP on it to leave a thin film on parts that need it.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Berks County)

Sorry, I meNt bolt. The barrel I wipe with a lightly oiled cloth or a remoil wipe.

(Bucks County)

Lubing the bolt body does not do anything but prevent rust (which is good) but it is not going to make the action slicker. Most of the bolt doesn't touch anything when cycled.

I put a small amount of grease (any will do) behind each locking lug on the bolt. And I do mean a small amount, just a dab on your finger and you shouldn't see it after you rub it on. Grease is superior to oil for parts under pressure.

(Lancaster County)

I missed out on a doe one year because the temps dropped dramatically. I pulled the trigger and......nothing. The firing pin was frozen. I ended up soaking the bolt in solvent and went light on oil ever since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast