Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default [PAFOA Blog] Gubernatorial Candidates Go on the Record

Gubernatorial Candidates Go on the Record

Several of the gubernatorial candidates are political unknowns on the issue of gun control because they have not served in a capacity to be tested through votes or policy matters which are typically only handled at the state level. Last night, four candidates went on the record.

Most voters don’t spend Friday night tuned into PCN – Pennsylvania’s version of C-SPAN – to watch coverage of small political events. Perhaps that’s what the Democratic gubernatorial candidates were counting on when they debated at the Pennsylvania Progressive Summit. Hoping gun owners, especially those registered with their party, wouldn’t find out, each of the candidates pledged to support various gun control policies.

Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato launched his slate of new gun control policies with a statewide lost and stolen law, followed by ending preemption (particularly if he can’t get the lost and stolen legislation passed), and mandatory “child safety locks.” Onorato did not specify whether his mandatory lock policy would apply to only sales of firearms or whether it would also apply to gun storage.

Auditor General Jack Wagner dodged most state policy issues on gun rights, describing his agenda as keeping guns out of the hands of “bad people.” The one specific policy Wagner highlighted was his support of a ban on semi-automatic rifles.

Scranton Mayor Chris Doherty made ending preemption the priority gun control agenda item in his response at the debate. The second policy he would push if elected governor is to institute one gun-a-month restrictions for all gun sales in Pennsylvania. He did not expand on whether this included a formal registry of gun owners and their purchasers, so we’re left with little information on how such sales would be tracked and restricted.

Montgomery County Commissioner Joe Hoeffel ended the round of answers with little more than a political version of “all of the above.” Specifically, he named these priorities: gun sales limits, lost and stolen legislation, mandatory locks, and the end of state preemption. In addition to the previously discussed issues, Hoeffel also supports a ban on private sales of firearms in Pennsylvania.

No Republican candidates took part in the debate, though organizers indicated that invitations were extended.

This article, Gubernatorial Candidates Go on the Record, is from the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Blog & Online Magazine.

Read the full article...

(Centre County)

Default Re: [PAFOA Blog] Gubernatorial Candidates Go on the Record

OH MY GOODNESS!

Not surprising I guess but HOLY CRAP!!!

Thanks for posting this.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the headsup about these clowns.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Bradford County)

Thanks for posting this. My wife and I vote for the candidate, not the party, but this rules out the Democrats for us. I'll be sure to tell everyone at work because I work in a UAW shop, and a lot of the guys normally vote for Dems unless they hear about something like this.

Good work on this post RSS. Im wondering if I should switch to republican. Seems like a lose-lose situation doesnt it. But Republicans seem to be more pro 2nd I think.
    [SIGPIC]

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by das View Post
    Good work on this post RSS. Im wondering if I should switch to republican. Seems like a lose-lose situation doesnt it. But Republicans seem to be more pro 2nd I think.
    I think you are more likely to make a positive difference voting in the Republican primary this time around since all of the Democrats have taken positions that make them unsuitable for governor. You can still vote for whomever you want in the general election, and you can always switch parties again if there is a good Democrat in a primary in a few years. Regardless of how you identify yourself, the only thing your registered party determines is which primary you get to vote in. I have switched parties twice to vote for someone I liked. Just a thought.

Some Democrats, like Brian Schweitzer (Governor of Montana) are pretty solid on guns, but overall Republicans are better. If Schweitzer ran for president I would make sure I was registered as a Democrat so I could vote for him in the primary, and it would not change my choices later on during the general election. If he lost the primary to say, Nancy Pelosi, I could just vote for the Republican running against her.
    Last edited by daniel.ryan; January 31st, 2010 at 08:50 PM.

Well, based on this, unless other Dems show up, you can absolutely guarantee I'll vote Republican.

I'm glad I'm registered Republican because NONE of the Democratic candidates listed here are worth anything.

I'll be interested in seeing who the Republican candidates are.

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Gubernatorial Candidates Go on the Record

Several of the gubernatorial candidates are political unknowns on the issue of gun control because they have not served in a capacity to be tested through votes or policy matters which are typically only handled at the state level. Last night, four candidates went on the record.

Most voters don’t spend Friday night tuned into PCN – Pennsylvania’s version of C-SPAN – to watch coverage of small political events. Perhaps that’s what the Democratic gubernatorial candidates were counting on when they debated at the Pennsylvania Progressive Summit. Hoping gun owners, especially those registered with their party, wouldn’t find out, each of the candidates pledged to support various gun control policies.

Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato launched his slate of new gun control policies with a statewide lost and stolen law, followed by ending preemption (particularly if he can’t get the lost and stolen legislation passed), and mandatory “child safety locks.” Onorato did not specify whether his mandatory lock policy would apply to only sales of firearms or whether it would also apply to gun storage.

Auditor General Jack Wagner dodged most state policy issues on gun rights, describing his agenda as keeping guns out of the hands of “bad people.” The one specific policy Wagner highlighted was his support of a ban on semi-automatic rifles.

Scranton Mayor Chris Doherty made ending preemption the priority gun control agenda item in his response at the debate. The second policy he would push if elected governor is to institute one gun-a-month restrictions for all gun sales in Pennsylvania. He did not expand on whether this included a formal registry of gun owners and their purchasers, so we’re left with little information on how such sales would be tracked and restricted.

Montgomery County Commissioner Joe Hoeffel ended the round of answers with little more than a political version of “all of the above.” Specifically, he named these priorities: gun sales limits, lost and stolen legislation, mandatory locks, and the end of state preemption. In addition to the previously discussed issues, Hoeffel also supports a ban on private sales of firearms in Pennsylvania.

No Republican candidates took part in the debate, though organizers indicated that invitations were extended.

This article, Gubernatorial Candidates Go on the Record, is from the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Blog & Online Magazine.

Read the full article...

I've been keepin' my fingers crossed that Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, would soon have a new title ... Governor Lou Barletta

.... seems I won't get my wish, as he's making a run for the Congressional Seat ... but he gets my vote, no matter what he runs for !
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    Well, based on this, unless other Dems show up, you can absolutely guarantee I'll vote Republican.

I'm glad I'm registered Republican because NONE of the Democratic candidates listed here are worth anything.

I'll be interested in seeing who the Republican candidates are.
    you have Tom Corbett, current attorney general for PA

and (my Choice) Rep Sam Rohrer
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Roher doesn't have a chance.

This is unfortunately another case of having to pick the candidate that has the clout to beat the Democrats rather than picking the candidate I like best.

So I'll probably vote for Corbett. He has solid footing in the polls for all PA citizens, and not just Republicans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast