Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Home Defense Tactics by Jeff Anderson

Our team got your ticket Dave and the package will be on its way. Thanks for contacting us!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by cqctraining View Post
    Our team got your ticket Dave and the package will be on its way. Thanks for contacting us!
    Just his??
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    So, you registered on a forum to debate people who don't approve of your marketing...only to say that you don't need their approval?
    This isn't a debate for me. Just thought that if there was going to be a conversation about my credibility and reputation based solely upon what you read on my own website (and not the actual material covered in the program), then I should probably be able to speak up and answer some of your questions, right? I realize that there are some of you who would go through the program and love it...others who may be more knowledgeable and
    just find some great new tips to add to your own expertise... and others who wouldn't admit they liked it even if they thought it was groundbreaking. All I'm saying is that it doesn't make much sense trying to get approval from some who wouldn't approve if their life depended on it. Life's too short, eh?

So, you said you served in 10th Mountain. So, were you an instructor at SERE school or something? I've known more than a few guys who were stationed at Ft. Drum...none came away "survival experts". I do know a few guys who taught for Tom Brown, others who were instructors for SERE School, and others who provided specialized aftermarket training to a variety of .gov and .mil entities in topics that could easily fit under the banner of "survival". None put "fitness instructor" or "served in an infantry unit" on their resume as the most note-worthy bullet point.

So, who is your organization providing contractual training to?

Who are these "top instructors" in the world in CQC, and firearms training?

Who did you learn from and train under in CQC?
    Again, I've never put myself out there as the ultimate warrior. I'm a student and learn from anyone and everyone I can in all areas of survival. My specialty is hand-to-hand combat and my weakest areas are urban survival and technical firearms proficiency as I don't get as much opportunity to shoot and don't live in a CC state. However, my publishing company put a lot of effort into interviewing and conducting research in the tactical area of home invasion survival to create the program that everyone is so curious (or negative) about. I learned a lot through the process and feel it is a great resource even for the more experienced tactical enthusiast.

As for my military record, I was one of the founding soldiers in the newly resurrected 10th Mountain Division from 1986-1989 (Forward Observer for 1-22 Infantry and LRRPS). There was no SERE school when I was there. My combat duties took place during Operation Just Cause while I was stationed in Panama. After that, I was a desert warfare instructor during Operation Desert Storm to train our soldiers going over to Gulf. Blah, blah, blah.

As for the ISCQC, we're not a contractual training organization. We're comprised of instructors from all areas of survival and combatives including unarmed and armed combat, wilderness and urban survival tactics, and firearms training. Here's a list of our associated instructors: http://iscqc.org/authors/

How does reading you book (and any other book for that matter) "transform someone into a complete warrior"?
    What I find is that the most prepared survivalists are gun owners. What I also find is that the most UNprepared survivalists are gun owners. Meaning that too many think that having a 1" shot group is what makes them a warrior an they have a false sense of confidence. I don't care if you have a concealed carry permit and are a super fast draw at the range. The harsh realities are this (open to debate of course):

1. Chances are, you're going to be jumped by surprise and never even have a chance to get to your gun to use it.

2. Shooting in your home is NOT the same thing as shooting at the range or even on a tactical range.

3. Your gun is out and your hand is trembling like crazy. The guy in your house is holding a knife to your kid's throat. What do you do? Did they train you for that down at Dick's Pea Shooter range? Did they duct tape you and show you how to get out of it? Your Desert Eagle isn't going to help you here.

4. So you can shoot. Are those extra 50 lbs you're carrying around holding you back from fighting your way to your gun as you wrestle around for position from the two guys who just jumped you? Or slowing you down as you try to escape when you DON'T have access to your gun?

I think you get my point. Having a gun is one thing. Being able to shoot accurately is another. But to be a complete "warrior", you must know how to get to your gun...when to use your gun...how to use your gun...how to NOT use your gun... and what to do in the real world when all odds are against you. Train for reality and THAT'S when you can truly feel "ready". (BTW...even then, there's no way to be ready when the shit really hits the fan. Anyone who's been in combat or a firefight will tell you that it's NOTHING like the range or the movies.)

(Chester County)

Again, I've never put myself out there as the ultimate warrior. I'm a student and learn from anyone and everyone I can in all areas of survival. My specialty is hand-to-hand combat and my weakest areas are urban survival and technical firearms proficiency as I don't get as much opportunity to shoot and don't live in a CC state. However, my publishing company put a lot of effort into interviewing and conducting research in the tactical area of home invasion survival to create the program that everyone is so curious (or negative) about. I learned a lot through the process and feel it is a great resource even for the more experienced tactical enthusiast.
    So....we're going to be "complete warriors" because your publishing company ran some stats?

From your website:
    Jeff Anderson is also a Master Close Combat Instructor
    That kinda reads to me like you are trying to put yourself out there as an expert on things.

As for my military record, I was one of the founding soldiers in the newly resurrected 10th Mountain Division from 1986-1989 (Forward Observer for 1-22 Infantry and LRRPS). There was no SERE school when I was there.
    The US .mil has been running SERE School since 1950. I have friends who went through it in the late 60's. It most certainly existed during your years of service.
    My combat duties took place during Operation Just Cause while I was stationed in Panama. After that, I was a desert warfare instructor during Operation Desert Storm to train our soldiers going over to Gulf. Blah, blah, blah.

As for the ISCQC, we're not a contractual training organization. We're comprised of instructors from all areas of survival and combatives including unarmed and armed combat, wilderness and urban survival tactics, and firearms training. Here's a list of our associated instructors: http://iscqc.org/authors/
    I didn't see anyone on there who jumped out as a world renowned expert on CQB, room clearing, and tactical shooting. Most of the websites linked to on that list had the same scare-tactics marketing, and pop-ups for awesome deals on books guaranteed to save your life.

This is just silly. There is no point in even trying to point out all the red flags here.

I'm sure some people out there will find your book helpful.

So, you registered on a forum to debate people who don't approve of your marketing...only to say that you don't need their approval?

This is some of the slimiest marketing I've read since some of the Front Sight emails that I had people forward me.

I didn't know reading a book "transformed you into a complete warrior". That's fascinating. To think I've been paying so much to learn to shoot from all of these really experienced guys, when I could have just read your book.

So, you said you served in 10th Mountain. So, were you an instructor at SERE school or something? I've known more than a few guys who were stationed at Ft. Drum...none came away "survival experts". I do know a few guys who taught for Tom Brown, others who were instructors for SERE School, and others who provided specialized aftermarket training to a variety of .gov and .mil entities in topics that could easily fit under the banner of "survival". None put "fitness instructor" or "served in an infantry unit" on their resume as the most note-worthy bullet point.

So, who is your organization providing contractual training to?

Who are these "top instructors" in the world in CQC, and firearms training?

Who did you learn from and train under in CQC?

How does reading you book (and any other book for that matter) "transform someone into a complete warrior"?
    Quote Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
    Just his??
    Nope...got yours too fragmag. Headed out ASAP. Thanks!

So....we're going to be "complete warriors" because your publishing company ran some stats?

From your website:

That kinda reads to me like you are trying to put yourself out there as an expert on things.

The US .mil has been running SERE School since 1950. I have friends who went through it in the late 60's. It most certainly existed during your years of service.

I didn't see anyone on there who jumped out as a world renowned expert on CQB, room clearing, and tactical shooting. Most of the websites linked to on that list had the same scare-tactics marketing, and pop-ups for awesome deals on books guaranteed to save your life.

This is just silly. There is no point in even trying to point out all the red flags here.

I'm sure some people out there will find your book helpful.
    You're entitled to your opinions synergy and obviously you and I won't be trading brewskis any time soon. Happy to politely agree to disagree and there are those who will find our company's training helpful and those who won't. I'll take it that you fall into the latter though I still think that anyone should reserve judgment (on anything) until they actually experience something.

Before I end, just a clarification that I wasn't saying that there was no SERE school during my time at Drum. I just took your previous post to ask me about a Ft. Drum based SERE school and there wasn't one at DRUM when I was there. I'm not sure if there is one there now or after I left in '89 but many in my unit deployed for SERE training while I was stationed there. I wasn't one of them though.

I wish you the best with your training and thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    Post snipped for brevity.

The best instructors I've learned from could easily point to other great teachers they learned lessons from and were taught by. In that respect, I have an interesting question for you. Who is the person (or top few people) you would say taught you the most about home defense tactics, and why?
    Great question! There are several people who I've learned the most from in my own search for home defense tactics. Louis Awerbuck who did a DVD for Paladin Press and was one person I interviewed for our release of the HDT program; second would be Avi Nardia who is a good friend of mine and former Israeli operative; Tim Schmidt, President of the United States Concealed Carry Course (and his staff); and Michael J. DeBethencourt who's a "snubbie guy" and used to be an instructor at the Sig Institute.

In addition to that, we hold a monthly live call-in show for our ISCQC organization where members can call to give their tips on tactical training and home and personal defense and I'm always blown away by some of the great stuff people call in with. For the release of the Home Defense Tactics program we had over 600 callers on the line and did 2 hours of call-ins. I was scribbling notes furiously with the great tips brought up.

That's why I love forums and groups that are filled with people who are truly focused on sharing (rather than just ripping). For me, networking with like-minded men and women who are willing to build up rather than tear down is the key to learning from one another.

Question comes back to you...who do YOU follow and believe can offer some great advice on home defense? I'd love to bring a few more tactical instructors into our network and I'm open to any suggestions you may have.

(Washington County)

I follow and plan to train with in 2011, some local training in my area at http://www.fireinstitute.org/. They are members here and offer some really good training from all I have heard.

I plan to travel also to train with Rob Pincus from ICE, James Yeager from Tactical Response, and Tony Blauer SPEAR System to name a few.

Others that $$$ will determine my time with are guys like John Chapman from LMS Defense, Bill Rogers from Rogers Shooting School, and Larry Vickers from Vickers Tactical.

It will take years for me to actually train with everyone on my list, but that is the beauty of being a training junkie. I have the time, just need to save the $$$.

Once I have the time to read through Jeff's material, I will be able to offer a critique of it.

Dave

Question comes back to you...who do YOU follow and believe can offer some great advice on home defense? I'd love to bring a few more tactical instructors into our network and I'm open to any suggestions you may have.
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

the much anticipated review is out !
    http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...ml#post1452958

hurry now! while suppllies last !

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    the much anticipated review is out !
    http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...ml#post1452958

hurry now! while suppllies last !