Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Live ammo VS. blanks and the law.

Hey I just came for the blanks discussion...
    But I can heat up the popcorn if this is where it's going
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Bucks County)

The link leads to a lawyer’s comments about the law in question.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2014/02/1...ian-trunk-gun/

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 105gunner View Post
    The link leads to a lawyer’s comments about the law in question.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2014/02/1...ian-trunk-gun/
    Please try to stay on topic.....😁

(Clinton County)

6102 doesn't define "ammunition" only "loaded" so even though nobody is going to lock up a bunch of Honor Guard for having M1s loaded with blanks on their way to a cemetery I doubt anyone else would get away with it.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Washington County)

For the record, I believe we are talking about a summary offense. I also believe this is a fine example of another stupid gun law that should not exist.

(Montgomery County)

I don't see anything in the above link specific to blanks.
    It looks like it would come down to the legal definition of ammunition (I see I was late to post this).

Regardless, my balls are tingling which tells me I need a shower or the OP doesn't pass the smell test.
    The OP is either wanting to scare potential attackers with a rifle loaded with blanks (like the Liberals carrying fake guns nonsense), or he wants to joyride and scare people.

There is what is legal and what is advisable, and we have a responsibility to provide sensible advice in the open forum.

Anyone asking this question needs to be told that assaulting someone by pointing a fake or real weapon and firing blanks is a crime.
    They also need to be told that keeping a rifle loaded with blanks for self defense is suicidal.

(Allegheny County)

There was a thread on here YEARS ago by someone asking about carrying a handgun with a blank chambered as the first shot - to be used as a "warning" and hopefully avoid actually shooting someone.

That's where I thought THIS thread could be headed and had the above info been disclosed in the OP, I bet some of the "nonsense" posted never would have been mentioned.

I never would have considered this in regards to honor guards. Probably because I assume they would know better than to keep live ammo in a firearm like that - blanks or not - legal or not.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Oh look a legit adult type response.
    Very rare at times here ..... as one can see.
    But THANK YOU for your reply and I'll address your thoughtful and informational response.
    Most everyone else can safely return to their bag of Cheetos and cartoons.
    Nothing to see here.
    In my dealings with a few Veterans groups I have found for some reason many like to keep their M1's loaded including one in the chamber. Both while in the safe and traveling.
    Call it laziness or complacency I am not sure , maybe a bit of both.
    A lot of Honor Guard members are often older gentlemen and fumbling with trying to load the rifle is something they like to avoid , is what I am told.
    I've mentioned they could have one man loading and unloading the rifles at the cemetery but I try not to preach as that isn't what I was there for.
    A lot of their safes are usually jammed full as you may know and the potential for a trigger hanging up while being pulled out of the safe and someone catching a blank in the face is something I wouldn't like to see.
    I have mentioned that I was not even sure that traveling with them loaded with blanks would even be legal.
    In future conversations I would like to be able to pass on any legal aspects of traveling with them loaded with blanks ....should that apply to them.
    I have test fired many rifles in areas outside of a VFW where the local police would not be ok with someone firing live ammo obviously but have been ok with the use of blanks ..... although that hardly means it's legal or otherwise.
    And it's been a question in the back of my mind so trying to ask some of the more intelligent individuals here came to mind.
    And I appreciate your response.
    Could have saved a lot of trouble by mentioning this in the OP.
    A nonspecific question in the open forum demanded a warning to the many uninitiated and uninformed that will read these threads with random Google searches.

Always good to keep in mind that we are both asking and answering for many that only know what they read here, members or otherwise.
    Best to keep the open forum information clear and specific so some kid doesn't misinterpret it and end up dead or arrested.

I would also add that we still don't have a legal determination if the loaded rifle blanks are legal in a vehicle or not.

Yeah that works well,Just Imagine needing your firearm in the event of a life or death struggle ? Not to mention a blank still has explosive capabilities so I am inclined to believe its still a loaded firearm unless disproved with a law citing and stating its not.

(Allegheny County)

Good deal. Always good to try to prevent people from breaking laws unknowingly, and/or hurting themselves unintentionally.

I don't know what kind of blanks are used, but the 5.56 and 7.62x39 blanks I have don't have a projectile - just powder in a crimped off casing.
    I know that I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the gas coming out of the barrel though - it's enough to propel a grenade several hundred feet, so I wouldn't consider it much safer than handling a rifle with a live round.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast