Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Limited Edition and Commemorative Rifles

I could see it selling to another shale miner as a retirement gift. And you could probably get your money back. If you ever wanted to sell it, advertising it for sale to that very limited targeted community would be the hard part.

(York County)

I have seen quite a few rifles like this, and very few ever increase in value. The nice thing, in my opinion, is that since the rifle is basically just a marlin guide gun, and the enhancements are all in the furniture, you can by some cheap replacement wood and shoot it without damaging the originals. When your ready, clean it up and put em back on and hang it up. Personally, I think of hanging a fine functioning weapon on a wall is like putting a fine musclecar in permanent storage, a waste of something that was meant to be fired or driven. To each his own, but if your buying it with no real long term value increase, then shoot it and enjoy yourself.

A friend won a Winchester 94 Chief Crazy Horse Commerative in the excellent 38-55 cartridge in a raffle many years ago. He pulled those tacky chrome thumbtacks out of the stock and has used it as a hunting rifle ever since , taking a lot of whitetail and a few black bear with it. It's become his favorite hunting rifle.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Indiana County)

Damn, I didn't look at the ad til now, I'm sooo getting one of those engraving machines out of the back of a magazine, it will pay for itself on the first "Super Duper Limited Edition" I put out X10.

The OP paid an $1100 premium for machine engraving on wood!!!

Damn, I'm serious, take a $485 rifle, cut in some "tribute" and watch the cash roll in.

If they sell all 100, that's a profit of $110,000!!!!!!
    Capitalism at it's finest via the PT Barnum business plan.

Sorry to pile it on OP, but IMO, you got had.
    Last edited by 39flathead; July 7th, 2012 at 11:33 AM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimura View Post
    there's a sucker born every minute. the minute you bought this, you were the chosen one.
    Nah, I don't consider myself a sucker at all. I bought it more for the Marcellus thing than a Marlin thing. I have been fortunate to get a new gun every month for the last three years on average. This has been possible due to my job in the Marcellus shale industry. Oil and Gas field workers are proud people. You never hear anyone complaining about their jobs. Hard working good men doing their thing.

I will keep the rifle for a few years then probably donate it to a charity (something Autism related since mt son is Autistic) then we can raffle it off at an oil and gas event and get them some coin.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
    Nah, I don't consider myself a sucker at all. I bought it more for the Marcellus thing than a Marlin thing. I have been fortunate to get a new gun every month for the last three years on average. This has been possible due to my job in the Marcellus shale industry. Oil and Gas field workers are proud people. You never hear anyone complaining about their jobs. Hard working good men doing their thing.

I will keep the rifle for a few years then probably donate it to a charity (something Autism related since mt son is Autistic) then we can raffle it off at an oil and gas event and get them some coin.
    Seriously?
    No gas patch worker ever complains?
    Hah!
    Every weekend at any bar you will hear guys bitching about their jobs in the patches.

Oh, and what happens when the gas patch boom busts?
    I sincerely hope you are planning for that eventuality, it is already starting to happen.
    Because selling off rifles like the one you bought there at a huge loss is not a good financial plan IMO.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Seriously?
    No gas patch worker ever complains?
    Hah!
    Every weekend at any bar you will hear guys bitching about their jobs in the patches.

Oh, and what happens when the gas patch boom busts?
    I sincerely hope you are planning for that eventuality, it is already starting to happen.
    Because selling off rifles like the one you bought there at a huge loss is not a good financial plan IMO.
    Flathead, you won't get it and never will. You don't contribute at all to the topic at hand, you call me a sucker and I'm not, you say oil and gas workers bitch about their jobs all the time in bars, you say I don't plan on a retirement and selling an over priced gun for less than what I paid is not good planning. You don't know me at all yet you feel the need to attack and make fun of me. Bottom line is this, I don't work with anyone as that wines, bitches, and complains anywhere near as much as you have in this post. I don't know if it's jealousy or what man but relax. I said I would probably donate the gun to charity and get them some money. Whats your deal? Get it together dude.

(York County)

I believe its actually laser engraved. I have some laser engraved wood items, and I think that's the only way to get that kind of small complex detail, and laser engraving is a hell of a lot cheaper to subcontract for this type of work.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
    Flathead, you won't get it and never will. You don't contribute at all to the topic at hand, you call me a sucker and I'm not, you say oil and gas workers bitch about their jobs all the time in bars, you say I don't plan on a retirement and selling an over priced gun for less than what I paid is not good planning. You don't know me at all yet you feel the need to attack and make fun of me. Bottom line is this, I don't work with anyone as that wines, bitches, and complains anywhere near as much as you have in this post. I don't know if it's jealousy or what man but relax. I said I would probably donate the gun to charity and get them some money. Whats your deal? Get it together dude.
    the only thing i'll bitch about is how fracking is polluting the hell out of our water.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimura View Post
    the only thing i'll bitch about is how fracking is polluting the hell out of our water.
    Kimura, Do a little research and I don't think you will feel that way. Many people who have no knowledge in the industry or process see a movie like gasland and believe it. Do you know fracking has been around since the 40's? Do you know how the process even works and the multiple layers of prevention? Here is somewhere to start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTJaaeiuzSU

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast