Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ftf transfer

(Philadelphia County)

Default ftf transfer

What does somebody need to do to sell a rifle to someone ftf?... I know a ffl transfer isn't needed but what is the lawful way to do it?

Thanks to all

(Franklin County)

Default Re: ftf transfer

One party brings the agreed upon amount of money. The other party brings the firearm. They exchange the money for the firearm and go on their way.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

If you want to use a bill of sale, try one of these:

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/32...-free-use.html

ftp://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf (click on "Bill of Sale")

I'll let someone else handle the "lawful" part...
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Here in PA - and anywhere for that matter - it is good sense to verify the buyer is at least 18yrs old.

As for a criminal background check; Unless your a pyschic, it'd be hard for you to know if the 18yr+ in front of you has a record that would otherwise disallow their purchase and/or posesson of same rifle... You are taking them at their word.

Which is why the anti's are fighting to ban private/casual gun sales at funshows between civvies; people can no longer be trusted to do the right thing.

And why more than a few gunowners in the classifieds here on this board seem to only want to sell thru an FFL - peace of mind from covering their own asses.

(Northampton County)

I will never purchase a rifle from someone that wants to use an FFL unnecessarily.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I will never purchase a rifle from someone that wants to use an FFL unnecessarily.
    +1

10characters
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Indiana County)

A FTF sale that involves another PA resident whom you have no reason to believe is prohibited from possessing a firearm is all that is required by law IMO, and is the standard I have always used. The "law" would have to prove that you knowingly sold the gun to someone that is prohibited.

The bill of sale is fine if it makes you feel better about the whole deal.

I recently sold an Arisaka to a guy in the parking lot of a closed down supermarket at 8:30 pm. I needed to sell, he wanted to buy, and our work schedules only permitted us to meet when and where we did. If I had insisted on a FFL transfer, I would still have the rifle.

I have passed up more than one firearm on the trader because of peoples paranoia and need to induce weird thought processes into what should be a simple process.

My uncle always put it this way:
    "Every gun I ever sold was to a dealer at a show, he paid cash, and I didn't get his name since no law requires that I do, what he did with it afterward is none of my concern, legally or morally."

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Here in PA - and anywhere for that matter - it is good sense to verify the buyer is at least 18yrs old.

As for a criminal background check; Unless your a pyschic, it'd be hard for you to know if the 18yr+ in front of you has a record that would otherwise disallow their purchase and/or posesson of same rifle... You are taking them at their word.
    You are not taking them at anything. The only requirement in law is that you not know or have reason to suspect they are prohibited.

Which is why the anti's are fighting to ban private/casual gun sales at funshows between civvies; people can no longer be trusted to do the right thing.
    do the right thing? You mean like not BUY guns if one is prohibited? Dude, that's what criminals do and always have. Nothing new.

And why more than a few gunowners in the classifieds here on this board seem to only want to sell thru an FFL - peace of mind from covering their own asses.
    They are covering nothing. What someone does with the gun later is not your concern unless they tell you or there is reason to believe they are prohibited at time of sale.
    There is nothing the authorities can charge you with if you had no knowledge the person was prohibited or was intending to use te firearms illegally.

Very slim chance of getting jammed up legally for selling FTF.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    +1

10characters
    +2.

Another 10.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    You are not taking them at anything. The only requirement in law is that you not know or have reason to suspect they are prohibited.

Yeah - what I said - you are assuming they are over 18 and not a criminal.

do the right thing? You mean like not BUY guns if one is prohibited? Dude, that's what criminals do and always have. Nothing new.

For example, people that do the right thing don't do straw purchases. But since a minority of folks have ruined it for the majority with these kinds of antics, we now have stoopid laws popping up all around us making it a crime to not report a stolen gun.

If some skanker approached me to buy a gun for him or for me to sell him one of my guns - I'd have to say no thanks to the greenbacks.

They are covering nothing. What someone does with the gun later is not your concern unless they tell you or there is reason to believe they are prohibited at time of sale.
    There is nothing the authorities can charge you with if you had no knowledge the person was prohibited or was intending to use te firearms illegally.

Very slim chance of getting jammed up legally for selling FTF.
    Well... If they are not "covering anything" - then why are they asking to "transfer their rifle" at an FFL??

Makes no sense to me. I guess they are covering themselves by making sure the official paper trail for their ownership of said gun ends.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast