Mulder

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Carry Permit With You

"Clever girl."

-Robert Muldoon

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    Maybe if you only have a picture of your gun with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    His location is Philly.

He'd best have the LTCF on him considering they make their own rules there.

Might not hurt to have a note from his mom too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    And it will just take a night or two in jail and court appearance to solve it. I'll carry my little card that is much smaller than the rest of my wallet or my gun.

(Lackawanna County)

Does showing a copy of your LTCF on your phone give permission to the officer to search your phone?

Could you give partial consent to police to search the back seat of your car but not the trunk?

I don’t want to be the guinea pig fighting this question's answer out in court. I carry my LTCF.

(Delaware County)

Partial consent hahahahah you're funny.

For the record, I carry a high-quality, laminated copy of my LTCF, front and back. I have utilized it on multiple occasions (one including at Philadelphia International Airport, that was interesting) but never tried to pass it of as anything other than it is. When asked (demanded) for my license, I present this, and it works.

I am very secure about my phone - it has a pin and times out after several failed unlock attempts. I would never use my phone to display anything other than the lock screen to a police officer, that's like giving my firearms serial number when I don't have to, I don't want it documented.
    Junior

(Beaver County)

So people can carry a gun with no problem but to carry a small card is a burden? I think some people are just looking for a argument.

(Lancaster County)

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Since I work in Philly and get to make my own rules, here are mine:

Make a good color copy and laminate it. Carry that one.

A photo on your phone will work. I have a photo of all my important documents saved on my phone. For travel I have photo copies of DL and Passport in hidden compartments in my luggage.

Just make sure your phone doesn't die when you need your document photo. We are allowed to view Car Insurance documents on a phone now and a law was passed protecting liability if the phone is damaged. (I just saved my vehicle registration renewal to the phone since it is no longer mailed.)

Your info is going to be run through the system to be verified anyway.

If your mom writes a note, (preferably in English, but Spanish is ok also) make sure it doesn't start off "BTTC2ndA's Mom states...." and make sure she signs it legibly.

This advice is worth what you paid for it. IANAL. YMMV. No express warranty is inferred or implied. When all else fails, invoke the MFing Constitution.
    Good advice. Even if it is from a cop :-)
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'm not quite following your reply here.
    I imagine it's possible someone could have their LTCF revoked and still have the card on them for a period of time.
    Photo or card, I would think that it's current status is still going to be "checked out".

And I never understood why it can't be "just like a driver's license" - where you have X amount of time to produce it if found without it. Hell, I don't even know if THAT is true any more. Everything is so "connected" electronically, that info should be readily available to an officer at the scene.

All that said, I have left the house without my driver's license and not worried about it.
    If I get in the car and realize I forgot my LTCF when I'm carrying, I make the effort to go back in to get it - just in case.
    (I keep my DL and LTCF rubber banded together in my front pocket)
    Actually, it is less restrictive then a DL. A DL must be produced immediately upon request.

A LTCF does not.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Actually, it is less restrictive then a DL. A DL must be produced immediately upon request.

A LTCF does not.
    Seems that failure to produce on demand either the DL or LTCF engender similar rebuttable presumptions of non-licensure. Post production of both licenses exculpate one from that presumption although in the case of the DL the likely law enforcement action was a mere citation while that of the LTCF was potentially an arrest.

75 Pa CS§ 1511. Carrying and exhibiting driver's license on demand.

(a) General rule.--Every licensee shall possess a driver's license issued to the licensee at all times when driving a motor vehicle and shall exhibit the license upon demand by a police officer, and when requested by the police officer the licensee shall write the licensee's name in the presence of the officer in order to provide identity.

(b) Production to avoid penalty.--No person shall be convicted of violating this section or section 1501(a) (relating to drivers required to be licensed) if the person:

(1) produces at the headquarters of the police officer who demanded to see the person's license, within 15 days of the demand, a driver's license valid in this Commonwealth at the time of the demand; or

(2) if a citation has been filed, produces at the office of the issuing authority, within 15 days of the filing of the citation, a driver's license valid in this Commonwealth on the date of the citation.

18 PA CS §6122. Proof of license and exception.

(a) General rule.--When carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle, an individual licensed to carry a firearm shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer, produce the license for inspection. Failure to produce such license either at the time of arrest or at the preliminary hearing shall create a rebuttable presumption of nonlicensure.

(b) Exception.--An individual carrying a firearm on or about his person or in a vehicle and claiming an exception under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer, produce satisfactory evidence of qualification for exception.
    IANAL

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast