Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Buying a firearm out of state, shipping it home.

Hey guys, I’m going out to Arizona, Utah, and Nevada for a 5 day trip with the wife. We will be Sight seeing/ exploring, checking out the Grand Canyon, Zion, Hoover dam etc... we leave on Saturday. My wife asked me last night if I was bringing a gun. I hadn’t planned on it honestly because a few family members have had some issues checking firearms in the past. So I had an idea to buy a gun out in Arizona and just ship it back before we leave. Has anyone done something similar? When I ship it to my local ffl will I have to fill out more paper work? Not sure how it would work, shipping a gun I already own.

Anybody have any input?

Ps I know I can’t cc in Nevada or any national park.

Default Re: Buying a firearm out of state, shipping it home.

You would need to have it shipped to a PA FFL. You may ship to a PA FFL if he will accept from a non-FFL , or have an FFL in that state ship it (probably cheaper) , he is required to log it into his A&D , and then out to you , and yes , you would need to fill out all PA paperwork and a PICS check.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

Do guns purchased in Arizona shoot better?

As far as I know you cannot buy a hand gun out of state and walk out of the store with it, it will need to be shipped directly back to your PA ffl to complete the transfer. Your only option to legally have a handgun on your person in AZ is to bring it from PA and check it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I’d assume they shoot the same pal, if you would have read the post youd see I was looking for other options to have a gun out of state with out flying with it. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    As far as I know you cannot buy a hand gun out of state and walk out of the store with it, it will need to be shipped directly back to your PA ffl to complete the transfer. Your only option to legally have a handgun on your person in AZ is to bring it from PA and check it.
    That seems to be the general consensus, I was getting a few conflicting reports on a few other forums... bummer

Thanks!

(Dauphin County)

I've never had problems traveling with my carry gun. Check your airline's rules and regs, pack your gun per TSA rules, and you should be fine.

(Washington County)

Out of state FFL's can not transfer a handgun to you, so while you can purchase a handgun out of state, that out-of-state FFL will not allow you to leave with the handgun. They will ship it back to a PA FFL who will do the 4473 background check and PA Handgun form.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300zx_tt View Post
    Hey guys, I’m going out to Arizona, Utah, and Nevada for a 5 day trip with the wife. We will be Sight seeing/ exploring, checking out the Grand Canyon, Zion, Hoover dam etc... we leave on Saturday. My wife asked me last night if I was bringing a gun. I hadn’t planned on it honestly because a few family members have had some issues checking firearms in the past. So I had an idea to buy a gun out in Arizona and just ship it back before we leave. Has anyone done something similar? When I ship it to my local ffl will I have to fill out more paper work? Not sure how it would work, shipping a gun I already own.

Anybody have any input?

Ps I know I can’t cc in Nevada or any national park.
    Only problem is: You can't buy a handgun out of state. I asked about this at Cabela's in Wheeling as they had some good sale prices a few years ago. That's the closest Cabela's to Erie.

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yes, the humidity factor is much lower in Arizona

And apparently the sense of humor factor is MUCH, MUCH lower for those planning a trip to Arizona

(Montgomery County)

Get a good case and bring your preferred gun with you. Read up on the TSA procedures - they really aren't bad and you most likely won't have any issues. As others have said, you can't buy a hand gun + take possession of it out of state.

Also national parks are dictated by state carry laws, so if you're legal in the state the park resides in, you can carry in national parks - just not buildings where federal employees work.

Good to go in AZ and UT, just print out the state info sheets and read up from handgunlaw.us. Nevada you'll probably have to transport unloaded and locked in your case, but I'm not sure of their possession laws. Or get a non-resident license from another state that gives you Nevada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast