Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The stimulus "pork list".. WOW

Well the pork in this one is as bad as the last one, if not worse .... our tax dollars hard at work (again)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/...ies/index.html

• $2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.

• A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.

• $650 million for the digital television converter box coupon program.

• $88 million for the Coast Guard to design a new polar icebreaker (arctic ship).

• $448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.

• $248 million for furniture at the new Homeland Security headquarters.

• $600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees.

• $400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD's.

• $1.4 billion for rural waste disposal programs.

• $125 million for the Washington sewer system.

• $150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities.

• $1 billion for the 2010 Census, which has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion.

• $75 million for "smoking cessation activities."

• $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges.

• $75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI.

• $25 million for tribal alcohol and substance abuse reduction.

• $500 million for flood reduction projects on the Mississippi River.

• $10 million to inspect canals in urban areas.

• $6 billion to turn federal buildings into "green" buildings.

• $500 million for state and local fire stations.

• $650 million for wildland fire management on forest service lands.

• $1.2 billion for "youth activities," including youth summer job programs.

• $88 million for renovating the headquarters of the Public Health Service.

• $412 million for CDC buildings and property.

• $500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland.

• $160 million for "paid volunteers" at the Corporation for National and Community Service.

• $5.5 million for "energy efficiency initiatives" at the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration.

• $850 million for Amtrak.

• $100 million for reducing the hazard of lead-based paint.

• $75 million to construct a "security training" facility for State Department Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.

• $110 million to the Farm Service Agency to upgrade computer systems.

• $200 million in funding for the lease of alternative energy vehicles for use on military installations.

If my math is right that's $17,090,500, 000 in pork ... 17 BILLION

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Re: The stimulus "pork list".. WOW

I didn't see the 4.8 billion for Acorn, the 2.1 billion for the national parks service, among several others. That's just the tip of the porkberg.

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    I didn't see the 4.8 billion for Acorn, the 2.1 billion for the national parks service, among several others. That's just the tip of the porkberg.
    Has anyone actually seen this supposed 4.8 billion for Acorn? I'm starting to think it's an urban legend because I sure can't see Republicans not bitching about it.

(Allegheny County)

I am watching the Senate debate this now, and Tom Coburn proposed an amendment to strip this one:

• A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
    Coburn has also been a good friend of gun rights.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Has anyone actually seen this supposed 4.8 billion for Acorn? I'm starting to think it's an urban legend because I sure can't see Republicans not bitching about it.
    Republican lawmakers are raising concerns that ACORN, the low-income advocacy group under investigation for voter registration fraud, could be eligible for billions in aid from the economic stimulus proposal working its way through the House.

House Republican Leader John Boehner issued a statement over the weekend noting that the stimulus bill wending its way through Congress provides $4.19 billion for "neighborhood stabilization activities."

He said the money was previously limited to state and local governments, but that Democrats now want part of it to be available to non-profit entities. That means groups like ACORN would be eligible for a portion of the funds.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/firs...mulus-dollars/

(Lehigh County)

90% of that is total BS, I totally agree.. 2.2 Billion for clean coal?! Cripes..

However (and you knew that was comin) lol
    4.8 is NOT for Acorn.. Arg. It's for community organization.. Granted Acorn is apparently one of those types of organizations.. But It's not the same..
    National Parks service handles a LOT of things.. Every national monument, every park, every road, everything.

For more info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Park_Service

Also, I really can never fault anything that is done for American Indians.. I mean, there's no way to fully describe how hard we screwed them.. lol They're a dying race.. When was the last time (or ever) that you saw a family of Indians out?
    Last edited by Morel42; February 3rd, 2009 at 04:51 PM.

(Monroe County)

Keep in mind that the source is VERY Liberal... the amount of pork is MUCH more extensive then what is listed there.

http://www.rules.house.gov/amendment...px?NewsID=4133
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Morel42 View Post
    90% of that is total BS, I totally agree..

However (and you knew that was comin) lol
    4.8 is NOT for Acorn.. Arg. It's for community organization.. Granted Acorn is apparently one of those types of organizations.. But It's not the same..
    National Parks service handles a LOT of things.. Every national monument, every park, every road, everything.

For more info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Park_Service

Also, I really can never fault anything that is done for American Indians.. I mean, there's no way to fully describe how hard we screwed them.. lol They're a dying race.. When was the last time (or ever) that you saw a family of Indians out?
    ACORN would be getting a portion of the 4.19 billion (sorry it's .81 billion less than I thought). In any event it is not the Federal Government's job to organize communities. I would think it is up to the communities in question to fund their own organizations and private donations.

The National Parks Service has an anual budget of around $2 billion per year. With this package they are doubling down. That is absurd. Justify why they need the additional 100% of their budget.

I see Indians all the time. There is a family of them that runs the local 7-11.

Actually I agree with you on the American Indian thing.

(Delaware County)

Many of those in the OP are inserted in to the budget baseline (recurring costs)...
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

Quote Originally Posted by 5711-Marine View Post
    Many of those in the OP are inserted in to the budget baseline (recurring costs)...
    OK, so why are they not in the regular budget and in this supposed stimulus plan?

ACORN would be getting a portion of the 4.19 billion (sorry it's .81 billion less than I thought). In any event it is not the Federal Government's job to organize communities. I would think it is up to the communities in question to fund their own organizations and private donations.
    While I agree the government has no freaking business doling out money to community organizations like this you do realize you WERE taking an ultra right wing talking point when you said "acorn gets 4.8 billion" ... this is what I mean about both the far left and the far right, they twist words and numbers to try and shock people and it is unadulterated BULLSHIT.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast