Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Carrying through small stretch Of Maryland on I81

If you are really nervous, there are alternatives. At Winchester VA you can take US 522 N to PA and your exposure to MD is about two miles, but watch the reduced speed limit as you go thru MD. Or the Western alternatives. At Wytheville VA take I-77 to I-79 to I-70 in PA then East on I-76 (tolls) with a shortcut on US 19 in W VA if you wish. Alternately at Nashville TN, take I-65 North to I-64 to I-79 then as above. DO NOT take I-68 East out of W VA as that hits MD big time! On this route there is a KY Parkway (Bluegrass Pkwy) that cuts over at Elizabeth and goes thru Bourbon country so that could cause delays depending on your preferences (or not)
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

I would follow the law (FOPA) and not stress out over it. Could you get pulled over and have things go bad in some way?...... yes. Is it likely? Probably not, and the chances are probably slim enough not to warrant to much stress. Just make sure you have the laws on your side.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    If you are really nervous, there are alternatives. At Winchester VA you can take US 522 N to PA and your exposure to MD is about two miles, but watch the reduced speed limit as you go thru MD. Or the Western alternatives. At Wytheville VA take I-77 to I-79 to I-70 in PA then East on I-76 (tolls) with a shortcut on US 19 in W VA if you wish. Alternately at Nashville TN, take I-65 North to I-64 to I-79 then as above. DO NOT take I-68 East out of W VA as that hits MD big time! On this route there is a KY Parkway (Bluegrass Pkwy) that cuts over at Elizabeth and goes thru Bourbon country so that could cause delays depending on your preferences (or not)
    For me, I'd definitely cut over at Elizabeth and experience delays...
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I would follow the law (FOPA) and not stress out over it. Could you get pulled over and have things go bad in some way?...... yes. Is it likely? Probably not, and the chances are probably slim enough not to warrant to much stress. Just make sure you have the laws on your side.
    In the end, for me it would be about just that. Peace of mind.

If you're the calm sort, then you can follow FOPA, go the short way through MD, not worry and probably no issue.

For me, I'm the sort who gets to the airport 2 hours early just so I don't have to worry about what if there's traffic, what if the security line is huge, etc. I wouldn't say "nervous nellie" exactly, but I prefer to trade time for lack of worry. So I'd take the WV route.

It's personal choice, which I think (hope) is something that ALL of us here can agree is a good thing.
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

If you don't have a trunk pay attention to the locked compartment part.

Go to the dollar store and buy a 3 for a dollar "lock" set. Even putting one on a gun case zipper should comply with the law.

(Delaware County)

I was stopped 2 times within 72 hrs by MD police. One was a sherrif one was a state trooper. Both stopped me for a headlight out. Neither mentioned my Pa carry permit. Both advised me of my faulty headlight while taking a whiff inside my vehicle, assumingly sniffing for alcohol on my breath.

Both chatted with me breifly and sent me on my way. Both told me to get it fixed at earliest possible.

Neither looked in my vehicle that I could tell. No sweeping the cabin with the flashlight or anything like that.

Make sure all your lights are working, obey the speed limit, dont give them any reason to stop you.

Yeah I don’t have a trunk, I’ll be in a 4 door pickup. Not even sure I can get them all in the truck. I guess I could send most of them with the movers, but that doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling either, and I need to stop by my Mom’s in Knoxville for a couple of days. My wife will already be there, so I guess she could inventory guns when the shipping company gets there. I would rather be there personally though! Oh, and I can’t ship live ammo with the shipping company, that alone would probably take up all the room in the truck!
    Last edited by John R.; December 3rd, 2017 at 12:56 PM.

(Chester County)

Why not rent a car.

(Berks County)

What's the wife's car like?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Have to get my truck up there, may have to rent a trailer.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast