Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default long range shooting aint easy!

Well, not long range for many of you, but I just recently shot at targets 100 yards away for the first time. I was shooting an old Western Field 22 Mag bolt action rifle with an equally old Western Field scope on it. I was shooting from a sitting position with only the front of the rifle in a rest. I first shot at 50 yards and had no problem shooting groups well under an inch, so I moved the target out to 100 yards. I'm pretty sure the scope was the weak link here since it was very blurry at any setting other than 3X. Groups opened up to a good 4-5 inches.

I hate to take this scope off since it has such a nostalgic look to it, but I don't think the rifle will ever shoot to it's potential with it on there. I know I should have the rifle stock in some type of rest to see what the rifle is capable of too, but don't see what the point would be using this scope.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent scope for this rifle? I'd like to be able to get decent groups out to 150 yards or so. Also, could there be something else to explain why the groups opened up so much from 50 to 100 yards? Thanks.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: long range shooting aint easy!

If im reading his right, you're using a 22 for precision shooting at long range? If your using cheap bulk ammo, it is just part of the deal, and Im sure a cheap scope doesnt help your situation any. If your set on sticking with that caliber, match grade ammo is a must for any consistancy, or better yet step up to a caliber thats better for long range targets such as .308

(Chester County)

A .22mag should be reasonable precise at 100 yards. Certainly better than 4-5 inches. Try a new scope.

As for decent accuracy at 150 yards..? That's asking alot of a .22 round. Even a .22mag. I stick to 50 yards and under usually for my .22lr. My buddy has a .22mag that I've done well with at 100 yards.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

It's a 22mag, so accuracy at 150 can be had, but not like a high power. 100 yards, that gun should be close to a one hole gun. I would look at a Simmons 22 mag rifle scope, they're cheap and decent. If not, any 3-9 scope would work for you, no need to spend hundreds of dollars on a 22 mag scope. Just my opinion, that's all.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    A .22mag should be reasonable precise at 100 yards. Certainly better than 4-5 inches. Try a new scope.

As for decent accuracy at 150 yards..? That's asking alot of a .22 round. Even a .22mag. I stick to 50 yards and under usually for my .22lr. My buddy has a .22mag that I've done well with at 100 yards.

(Montgomery County)

If im reading his right, you're using a 22 for precision shooting at long range? If your using cheap bulk ammo, it is just part of the deal, and Im sure a cheap scope doesnt help your situation any. If your set on sticking with that caliber, match grade ammo is a must for any consistancy, or better yet step up to a caliber thats better for long range targets such as .308
    Well, I don't really think 100 yards is "long range" for some. I guess it is for me, but I would expect a 22 Mag to be able to get some decent groups at that range. This rifle is just fun to shoot a lot of rounds from. Don't get me wrong, I'm not recoil sensitive, but I shot this rifle an easy 70 or so times. Shooting that many .308 rounds in one session would probably not be very fun.

Ok, so .22 Mag should do well at 100 yards, but not 150. No problem with that since I don't really have access to a range where I can shoot that far anyway. I was using Federal ammo 40 gr FMJ "Champion Target" and Federal 30 gr HP. The 40 gr ammo was much more accurate from this rifle.

Thanks for all the help.

(Allegheny County)

Depending on the ammo you're using, 100yds shouldn't be hard to get into an inch. I suggest checking the scope, and seeing how tight the screws are, how level it all it, etc. After that, clean the rifle good, and then, don't use cheap bulk ammo.

You will not hit 1inch groups at 100yds using Remington Golden Bullets.

Your gun may like certain types of ammo as well. My 10/22 does well with the Remington Target stuff as well as CCI Standard Velocity being a close 2nd. I have to aim a little differently for each round at 100yds, but I can get close to 1inch groups that far out. Then again, that's with a new scope too. The old one wouldn't hold zero for anything.

(Chester County)

If you get one inch groups at 50 yds I would expect 2 inch groups at double that distance EVERYTHING ELSE BEING THE SAME.

Some thoughts:

.22 accuracy - outdoor smallbore rifle matches are typically fired at 50 and 100 yds with .22LR so that distance is well with a .22 Mags ability. Most accurate ammo is subsonic but Hi Vel would not explain a 4-5 inch 'group'.

When you say you had the front of the rifle on the rest I assume you mean the wooden forearm and not the metal of the barrel itself. Resting on the forearm allows the bedding/barrel interface to remain the same, resting on the metal barrel can cause significant POI differences shot to shot.

Could you sufficiently discern the target/crosshair alignment at 100 yds? If so and since the scope can hold 1in at 50 yds I wouldn't immediatelty suspect it except if you change any of the setting between 50 and 100 yds. I would shoot the same settings/magnification at both distances (ie no scope changes) and observe the precision (dispersion) irrespective of POI to target center. If the dispersion is within the 2 inch expected results then make the normal changes to the scope and repeat - if the dispersion increases significantly then the problem could well be the scope.

Atmospheric differences to consider:
    The bullet is travelling further and will be more susceptable to wind effects that change shot to shot.
    If you shot on a hot day you are looking at potentially more mirage effects due to the longer range and more heat waves - in other words the target you see is not necessarily where the target is and with wind changes this mirage effect also changes.

I would attempt to eliminate the scope first and keep all other variables to a minimum.

I'd just keep the rifle the way it is and buy a new rimfire.

(Montgomery County)

When you say you had the front of the rifle on the rest I assume you mean the wooden forearm and not the metal of the barrel itself. Resting on the forearm allows the bedding/barrel interface to remain the same, resting on the metal barrel can cause significant POI differences shot to shot.
    I did have the barrel on the rest, doh! I freely admit to neophite status as far as shooting rifles is concerned. Even then, I have read enough to probably know better.

Could you sufficiently discern the target/crosshair alignment at 100 yds? If so and since the scope can hold 1in at 50 yds I wouldn't immediatelty suspect it except if you change any of the setting between 50 and 100 yds. I would shoot the same settings/magnification at both distances (ie no scope changes) and observe the precision (dispersion) irrespective of POI to target center. If the dispersion is within the 2 inch expected results then make the normal changes to the scope and repeat - if the dispersion increases significantly then the problem could well be the scope.
    You're a little beyond me here. I didn't make any changes at first, but even after I changed windage, elevation, and magnification, the group sizes stayed about the same. I noticed it was very difficult to hold steady on target at 100 yards.

I didn't notice any heat waves to speak of, but it was very hot that day. It was slightly breezy.

(Allegheny County)

Lead Sled it and report back. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=152664

You need to take out as much "human factor" as you can to determine if it's the rifle, ammo, or scope. Most of the guys at our range use a good rifle rest to test ammo or to set their scopes. If it's not the equipment, or wind/mirage factor, then its you. Another test would be to have someone else (experienced) shoot your rifle and see what results they get.
    Last edited by Hawk; July 24th, 2008 at 03:11 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast