Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: GLOCK 23! Possibly the perfect pistol!

My friend Keith, is one of the guys I always run stuff by regarding guns.. he is former military, as well as a shooting instructor and gunsmith, he has owned various different glocks over the years, he has owned the 21, 23, 17, 22, 32, etc, and I know that ineach of the ones I have, the Glock 21, and the 23, he has told me that he has shot literally thousands of rounds through each of these pistols, and has never had a failed ejection, much less a KB, I think its a matter of thousands of Glocks out there, and the only ones you hear of are the ones that kb..

Just liek anything else, and any other pistol, you only hear the bad stuff, I would be willing to bet that for every kb you hear of, there are at least hundreds of the same model that never experience a problem..

Personally, in the next year or so, I plan on owning at least one of each of the following, XD, HK, Sig, and at least one 1911 style pistol more than likely in either .45, or .40.. I also liek the Walther P99 in either .40 or 9mm, and I might even get the Steyr or the Beretta PX4 Storm..

Dave
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(York County)

Wink Re: GLOCK 23! Possibly the perfect pistol!

Quote Originally Posted by fultonCoShooter View Post
    As for home defense........and im sure people will agree with me NOTHING beats a 12ga shotgun.
    Absolutely disagree. In fact, I'd say that it can be one of the worst home defense weapons. And here's why...

People like to make that quote in generality. And while I will agree that a 12 gauge shotgun is a good defense. It is not the best choice for every home environment. (Unless you make it illegal and saw off the end.)

For example, my mom's house is small, cramped and has several turns. The end result is that it can be very easy to disarm a rifle or shotgun holder in cramped quarters. Where you can get closer than the length of the barrel.

I'll stick with my .357 revolver...

(Philadelphia County)

Hello everyone, it me again Crazy-c the person who started this trend. I wanna say thanks to all of those who had responded to my message, I have seen this has grown into a heated debate. Being a Infantry officer in the US.Army I would have to STILL say the despite what many people have said, when I go to Iraq this summer, I could only wish that I could take my Glock 23. I would take a glock over an M92FS any day of the week! I have trained and practice with this weapon a lot (GLOCK 23) and would trust my life with this piece of equipment! I am that confident in the design and functionality of the weapon. Anyways, I hope everyone will continue to voice their opinion and see the light of the Glock 23! Glocks are the AK-47s of pistols and remember ViVA La GLOCK!!!!!

-Chris A. FLuellen
    2LT, IN
    U.S.Army

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by theSaj View Post
    Absolutely disagree. In fact, I'd say that it can be one of the worst home defense weapons. And here's why...

People like to make that quote in generality. And while I will agree that a 12 gauge shotgun is a good defense. It is not the best choice for every home environment. (Unless you make it illegal and saw off the end.)

For example, my mom's house is small, cramped and has several turns. The end result is that it can be very easy to disarm a rifle or shotgun holder in cramped quarters. Where you can get closer than the length of the barrel.

I'll stick with my .357 revolver...
    "Worst home defense weapons"? pahleeeze. You speak out from where you sit. I have a Remington 870 12ga with 18.5" barrel next to my bed, I would seriously like to see you "very easily disarm" me. What a joke.

The instant you try to grab it from me, you could expect a serious frontal thrust of the stock to the jaw..lights out. I have cleared my house after coming home to find the door ajar(luckily[for them] with no intruders). Just because it's a shotgun, doesn't mean barrel has to be 30" long, or worse yet an illegal saw-off. Plus, good luck after shooting that 357mag in the house, especially Moms' lil shack. Can you say 'disorienting'? The muzzle flash and deafening boom will most likely cause you some definite haze. Hopefully, you will regain your senses in time. I have many weapons I could choose to defend my family with. 38spl snub, 357mag, 45acp 1911, 44mag carbine rifle, etc. Although I have one of those for backup, my goto is the shotgun. King. End of story.

(York County)

Cool Re: GLOCK 23! Possibly the perfect pistol!

And I will call you a fool. Not for your techniques for yourself. They're quite good policy. But for assuming they're the best for everyone.

My mom is not going to be able to use the butt as a weapon. She's a small short 50 yr old Italian. And some parts of her house are too cramped. Sure, if she happened to be in her bed in her bedroom she could probably sit there and wait for the criminal to come to her. But she might not have been in that part of the house. Many others areas of the house have limited movement.

She is a good shot with a handgun. And it handles better in the more confined areas.

That is not to say a shotgun isn't a good home defense weapon. But one's environment makes a difference and should be taken into account. To dismiss such and to apply a universal policy to everyone and say that they shouldn't use handguns for home defense and only shotguns is foolish.

Sorry if you feel insulted. Frankly, I am of the opinion the best home defense would be me with a .357, my wife with a shotgun and my child when she grow up a bit with the Ruger MK III.

It's always nice when the criminals meet an entire armed family. ;-)

(Bucks County)

I'm a fool? I believe you need to stop speaking out the wrong hole, jack. You contradict youself from post to post. First, I never said it was best for everyone, try reading more before dishing out insults. You saying shotgun can be worst might fit in your moms' situation, but I wouldn't put that situation at the top of any list, least of all induce it into this one. My mother didn't raise a fool, can't say that about yours. I've made my point, whether it gets through to you and your lacking of comprehension, doesn't matter in the least to me. I won't continue fighting a battle of wits with an unarmed man(term put out loosely..very loosely). End.

(York County)

QuakerTownRich,

Let me apologize...as I do think I responded inappropriately. I just get tired of the "shotgun" clause. This was a pistol thread, in a pistol forum. About pistols....

And everytime, it seems like someone comes in putting down handguns for home defense and blaring shot gun, shot gun, shot gun.

I probably took things more wrong and responded more harshly than I should. I am a firm believer in people being different and needing different things to fit their different situations.

So I apologize for over-reacting and being insulting. That was wrong of me. But at the same time, it gets REALLY tiring every time there is a discussion of home defense and handguns to have the "shotgun" shoved in one's face.

*shrugs*

Sorry...

(Delaware County)

I write to this string not to take a position, but simply add my own experience for others who may have an interest in the G23. As others have said, this experience is specific to me and obviously won't represent all.

The Glock 23 was my first purchase after a 15+ year period without firing a single weapon. On the range, first round fired from the weapon, and first fired by me in a long time, Round 1 entered the cardboard 2 inches from the head of the silouhette. Round 2 through the middle of the forehead. Round 3 was about 3-4 inches off the center of the target. This was at very close range, 5 yards. At 7 and 10 yards (mags 2 & 3 respectively), still on my first box of ammo, I had a slightly better than 65% hit rate on the target. At 5"7 and 158 lbs, I found the recoil very manageable, as I emptied the mags in pretty rapid succession. I acknowldge that this is close range, without practice and with limited orientation type coaching to the weapon. Since I can't take credit for any real skill on that day, I think this speaks to the importance of a gun fitting its owner and vice-versa.

With proper practice, training, and care (as with all firearms), I expect my G23 will serve very well.

Best of luck with whatever your choice of sidearm.
    Last edited by Iron Steed; April 30th, 2008 at 07:56 AM.
    Cheers,
    -JB

"Love of God, love of country, love of learning, and those in that order." - Me

(Perry County)

I fondled the G23c at Gander Mtn last night, and I must say I was pleasantly suprised to find how well it fit my hand. I must say, however, that I felt the XD40 I looked at was more comfortable, and was a tad bit heavier (which I like) As far as the weight and fit go, I liked the XD more than the Glock. Not a ton more, but more. I haven't fired either of them (or any semi-automatic pistol for that matter) but I'll fix that soon after I get my stimulus check :-)

And a side note. A+ for the guys last night at Gander Mtn (Harrisburg) A fella named Tyler helped me out and showed me how to disassemble the glock, XD, and P229 (which was impressive, but pricey) and showed me some things to look for when looking to buy a used glock. Really helpful knowledgable guys. That might not be impressive to you semi veterans.. but it's useful stuff when you're a pistol newb like I am.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Snap! You didn't just use the words GLOCK and PERFECT in the same sentence, did you?
    yeah... he hasn't shot an HK usp 40 (better) or a SW M & P 40 (best) yet... i'd put glock 23 in the good category... not the perfect... I shot all three and glock is def just ok out of that bunch.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast