Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Does PA require the FFL to give a copy of completed transfer form of a rifle

Recently I purchased a rifle online and had a FFL complete the transfer into my name. After transfer I left the store and realized at home that I did not get a copy of the transfer form from the FFL.

When I asked him him for a copy he told me that I don't need it.

Did not seem right to me. Does PA require a copy to be given to buyer/transferee?
    Gun Owners of America lifetime member! Same sex marriage is an oxymoron!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Does PA require the FFL to give a copy of completed transfer form of a rifle

State and fed law does not req it. But it also does not req the FFL to keep it* we have our own copies and no point for them to make them other wise.

*a copy for you
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; January 7th, 2019 at 09:46 PM.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Does PA require the FFL to give a copy of completed transfer form of a rifle

No. There is NO carbon copy for the federal 4473 form. If you want a copy, and if the FFL has a copier, you may see if he'll make you one.

However, that is pointless because only the FFL keeps copies of the 4473 and it is by no means proof of ownership because long guns can be subsequently transferred between private parties of the same state. And then, the FFL can destroy the 4473 forms that are over 20 years old if he chooses to.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    No. There is NO carbon copy for the federal 4473 form. If you want a copy, and if the FFL has a copier, you may see if he'll make you one.

However, that is pointless because only the FFL keeps copies of the 4473 and it is by no means proof of ownership because long guns can be subsequently transferred between private parties of the same state. And then, the FFL can destroy the 4473 forms that are over 20 years old if he chooses to.
    None of which stops the ATF from going through and making a copy of every single 4473 an FFL has on record.

(Montgomery County)

You typically only get a copy of the PSP handgun form.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    None of which stops the ATF from going through and making a copy of every single 4473 an FFL has on record.
    And which they don't do unless they suspect some fishy shit going on.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    You typically only get a copy of the PSP handgun form.
    Correct. Because it's not the same thing as when you purchase a long gun.
    No copy of anything when you purchase a long gun other than your receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Yeah, that’s not how that works.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    And which they don't do unless they suspect some fishy shit going on.
    Or the FFL shuts down and sends his bound book to ATF

(Monroe County)

ALSO keep in mind there is no law that says the FFL CAN'T make a copy for the buyer on request.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast