Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Open Carry with LTCF Illegal?

I just sent an email to Sheriff Welsh asking for her position on OC and how her deputies are trained to treat a person OCing. We'll see if she responds and what her response is.
    Obligatory IANAL!

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    (By the power of truth, I while living have conquered the universe)

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JonEMTP View Post
    For someone that likes to toot her own horn about how "pro gun" she is, Sheriff Welsh is, at best, a Fudd.

Won't issue non-resident LCTF's
    Won't do transfers
    Won't do instant LCTF's
    Won't do off-hours LCTF's
    Allows her deputies to be used to bar firearms from far more county property than legally permitted
    Insists on giving a brochure of mostly-incorrect legal advice with every LCTF her office mails out.
    The first one is the worst in my opinion (although the others are problems too). Sheriffs have an affirmative duty under state law to grant or deny (for good cause) an application for a license to carry firearms.

Anymore it's common for sheriffs to refuse to even consider out-of-state applications despite their duty to do so. Usual complaints are along the lines of "it's too much work" or "it's too hard to check their background". Such complaints are baseless. The legislature says sheriffs are required to approve or deny applicants, period. There's no exception to the effect that "the sheriff shall be permitted to be derelict in his or her duty if desired", nor is there any legal authority for a sheriff to "refuse to accept" an application as some sheriffs like to claim.

§6109

(g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application. …
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Chester County)

Flyingjunkie – Would love to see her response. I am planning on calling her directly and asking. However I like your idea because any response you get is in writing and not just word of mouth. I would still like to figure out who at a state level I can contact. I am going to send an email to my local rep and ask. Will let you know if I hear anything back.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Stopped in to Bunny's office last Monday to renew. Deputy asked me, "if I took any firearms courses recently and was I aware of the provisions of the Castle Doctrine?" I said, "no" and "yes" respectively. I wasn't expecting that, but figured whatever.
    I would have said yes to both. I took a self taught firearms course last time I went to the range. It was enlightening.

Deputy took my picture and said, "we're done, you're free to go".
    Free to go? Were you being detained?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I would have said yes to both. I took a self taught firearms course last time I went to the range. It was enlightening.

Free to go? Were you being detained?
    I know, right... if the deputy pressed me on the courses I would have replied that I was former military, current Director of my gun club and probably forgot more about gun safety than he knows.
    Last edited by JAKIII; April 29th, 2014 at 11:26 AM.

(Beaver County)

Just got a message back from Sheriff Welsh. Pretty Straightforward. I think I'm going to give her a call as she requested and speak to her directly. My original email first, followed by her response;

Sheriff Welsh,

Recently, a member of a group I belong to, the Pennsylvania Firearm Owner's Association, brought up a topic that concerns me. In our discussion, he stated that he was told by a friend that because he happened to be openly carrying his firearm, he could be arrested because "his LEO friend said so." After arguing this information at length with the friend, he states that he decided to contact your office for clarification on the legality of open carry. He was told by one of your deputies that, "a Conceal Carry Permit (which PA does not issue), requires that you conceal your firearm. If you are found to be open carrying, you will be arrested and your CCP will be revoked "for good cause."" So I am asking you directly if your deputies are truly aware of the legality of open carry and what they are trained to do if they spot a person open carrying.

I hope this message finds you well and I look forward to your response.

Thank you!

Thank you for your email.

That information is absolutely not correct. PA is an Open Carry state.

PA does issue concealed carry permits. They are issued by the Sheriff’s Office in each county. They are issued by the Philadelphia Police in the city and county of Philadelphia.

You need a permit when you carry concealed ( under your shirt or jacket, entering a vehicle, etc.)

I am sure that incorrect information did not come from a deputy at the Chester County Sheriff’s Office
    Please call me so we can talk, or have your friend call me directly also.

Thank you
    Sheriff Welsh

My office number is 610-344-6855
    Also I am copying this email to my office address.
    Last edited by flyingjunkie; April 29th, 2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Edited to fix her phone number as she had a typo in it.
    Obligatory IANAL!

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    (By the power of truth, I while living have conquered the universe)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjunkie View Post
    Just got a message back from Sheriff Welsh. Pretty Straightforward. I think I'm going to give her a call as she requested and speak to her directly. My original email first, followed by her response;
    Thanks for sharing, I had a feeling her response would be along those lines.

(Chester County)

Flyingjunkie – Thank you for posting the emails. I sent an email off to my local state rep asking him to shed light on the issue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjunkie View Post
    she is money
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Lancaster County)

Ya'll need to quit getting hung up on LTCF, CCP, CCW and what not. We are not drafting legislation in our conversations with people. My concern is that it makes us look less knowledgable than we are.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast