Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Question Ruger GP-100 rosewood grips - discontinued?

I am thinking about getting a GP-100. Recently I noticed that the Ruger online store has stopped selling the classic rosewood insert grips, even as an accessory. Does anyone know of another manufacturer that sells them? What do GP-100 owners think of the Hogue grips in comparison?

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Ruger GP-100 rosewood grips - discontinued?

The Hogue grips are much softer and make the gun easier to shoot. The older type guns with the rosewood panels are still out there in many shops, and are not in any way hard to come by as of yet. The choice is yours.

I will say that the GP100 is one of the greatest 4" .357 magnums on the market in my opinion. There is no shortage of grip options or sight options for that matter.

Buy 2 of them. Great guns.

FUGLY!!!!

I generally place function before form, but the GP100 with those grips on it is just too ugly for me to seriously contemplate a purchase. I'd hoped that maybe the pictures were making them look worse than they are, but in person they are even uglier. Too make matters worse, the grips don't fit me, and are uncomfortable. What the heck was wrong with the original grips? They felt perfect to me.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

I just bought one on Thursday, in celebration, of course. With the new grips...

(Berks County)

You can find replacement rosewood inserts on fleabay or GunBroker pretty regularly. Few grip makers make different material inserts to fit them as well. However, personally owning a GP with original rosewoods, Id opt for something else if your looking to change grips. Hogues are cushy and grippy, but irritating for daily carry (the 'sticky' grip material sucks up lint and badly chafes skin). Pachmayrs are ugly, but thinner and point better for me personally. Midway USA stocks a pretty comprehensive inventory of grips for the GP100s, including dressy wood ones.

Edit; Heres their listing for GP100 grips.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    The Hogue grips are much softer and make the gun easier to shoot. The older type guns with the rosewood panels are still out there in many shops, and are not in any way hard to come by as of yet. The choice is yours.

I will say that the GP100 is one of the greatest 4" .357 magnums on the market in my opinion. There is no shortage of grip options or sight options for that matter.

Buy 2 of them. Great guns.
    Yeah, what he said. I just got a used GP100, 6" SS, and in one day it became my favorite. What a great gun! Mine came with Hogue grips as well. I like 'em, but I'd like to have the original ones too.

Keith
    PAFOA PROUD!
    USMV M/C

I think the story is that the supplier of the rosewood grip inserts for the GP100 retired, so there is no supplier. Ruger has gone away from the rosewood grips for it's single action revolvers and is using black plastic. They don't look nearly as good, so if(when) I buy another blackhawk, I'll have new grips in the budget.

I like Hogue grips and have them on three pistols. I thought about replacing the grips on the GP100 with Hogues, but the originals (rosewood inserts) feel pretty good and the pistol holds well with them.

(Allegheny County)

I, personaly, like the looks of the rosewood grips. They are one of the things that first attracted me to the gp100.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Montgomery County)

Here is a pic of my wife's GP-100.........pretty gun, and easy to shoot.......sorry to hear they are changing the looks of the grips.........
    Μολών λαβέ

(Philadelphia County)

I know i'm late to this, but i just bought a gp100 (first gun) and immediately bought the rosewood grips from ruger and took the hogue grips off. Much more classic looking. I'm old fashioned i guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast