Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northumberland County)

Default Disassembly of Taurus 709 Slim

I followed the instructions very carefully ( Many times ) and i still cant get the slide to come off, any Ideas would be appreciated.

Default Re: Disassembly of Taurus 709 Slim

Rack the slide just a tad, move the switch, forward the slide, pull the trigger.

All with an unloaded gun of course!

Yup, gotta pull the trigger (as was mentioned earlier, on an unloaded gun!). Also, on mine, you have to pull pretty hard on the grip while pushing pretty hard on the slide for it to pop off.

It seems similar to Glocks design.

(Northumberland County)

Thanks guys pulling the triggger worked, the manuel does not mention pulling the trigger.

(Berks County)

Yeah, takes down like the Glocks.

I have a taurus 709 slim. And the magazine would fall out while shooting. I didn’t realy want to mess with sending it back to taurus and go through the shiping and all that. (((FIXED)) I just looked in the gun at the bottom to see what side of the Magazine the pin catches in the magazine. Bent the magazine out just enough for the pin to catch. I think when the magazine is punched out it is bent in a little to much.((WORKS GOOD))!!! now

Like you after I fired my new 709 I started trying to break it down for cleaning. Followed the instruction manual precisely. I finally gave up on it and went back to the gun shop where I purchased it. The guy behind the counter could not removed the barrel slide either. Told me it must be a manufacturing defect and I should send it back to Taurus. He then proceeded to pull a new 709 out of the case and tried to break it down. Same results....and then he said...are you ready for this..."better send it back to the factory. I think something's wrong with it"! I'm standing there thinking...well if you couldn't open yours don't you think maybe it should go back to the manufacturer also? He then proceeded to do his best to get me to trade it back in for something else. Oh yeah...they offered me $250 bucks for it! But, after all, it was a defective gun.

Anyway, I thought why not just google "how to disassemble a 709 slim" and it led me to this website/blog. I learned the manual was missing a simple but important step, like "PULL THE TRIGGER". Did that - gun is clean - I'm happy and the gun shop just lost a customer. Thanks for the tips.

(Delaware County)

I spent over an hour trying to get mine apart when I bought it. One of the guys at the club walked up and said, "pull the trigger stupid"........lol.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johny12 View Post
    I have a taurus 709 slim. And the magazine would fall out while shooting. I didn’t realy want to mess with sending it back to taurus and go through the shiping and all that. (((FIXED)) I just looked in the gun at the bottom to see what side of the Magazine the pin catches in the magazine. Bent the magazine out just enough for the pin to catch. I think when the magazine is punched out it is bent in a little to much.((WORKS GOOD))!!! now
    Notorious mag issues with Taurus. A little bending or filing usually does the trick. Shouldn't be this way, though.