Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: How often should a pistol be checked by a gunsmith to verify it's in working order?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than every 1000 rounds

1 11.11%
  • Every 1000-5000 rounds

2 22.22%
  • Every 5000-10000 rounds

3 33.33%
  • More than every 10000 rounds

3 33.33%
    (Berks County)

Default Regular checkups for a pistol?

We spend so much time selecting the right gun, especially when it's for carry. But once it's bought, how often should we check that it's in good working order, safe, and goes BANG when you want it to?
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; December 2nd, 2006 at 10:39 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Regular checkups for a pistol?

Im gonna go on a limb here and say somethign I've heard several times from several people.

Guns should be checked by a gunsmith when they stop going bang every time, and a good cleaning and fresh springs dont solve the problem.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

How about a poll reply for those if us who are versed enough in our guns operating systems to perform all checks ourselves? The only time I bring my guns to the 'smith is for jobs requiring fine fitting (45 auto trigger job and such).

John C

You don't need a gunsmith to perform most inspections. You can do it yourself with a good eye, a dental pick, and a decent flashlight.

I am not a gunsmith, but I am an ex Armorer. (there is a difference).
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

I'm not a gunsmith either, but I slept in a Holiday Inn once (sorry, I couldn't help it).

John C

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    How about a poll reply for those if us who are versed enough in our guns operating systems to perform all checks ourselves? The only time I bring my guns to the 'smith is for jobs requiring fine fitting (45 auto trigger job and such).

John C
    I can't find a way to edit poll options once the poll is posted, so I don't think it can be changed. If you feel that you would rarely require a smith to check your gun(s), then select "More than 10,000 rounds". Further clarification can be provided in a post if necessary.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Union County)

I completely inspect and function check all my revolvers and pistols when I clean them.

I send them to the factory or a gunsmith when I want to have something done that takes machining.

grizz

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLYBEAR View Post
    I completely inspect and function check all my revolvers and pistols when I clean them.

I send them to the factory or a gunsmith when I want to have something done that takes machining.

grizz

That's why i got a Taurus. If I want a good deep cleaning, they will do it for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

The way I learnt it, you should inspect every time you clean it, and again every time you intend to use it. The fact that you put your gun away in working order, does not mean it was not touched or some thing changed before you put it back in a carrying case or holster.

Im not a smith either, just a "plumber" only older mil. types will recognise that. Some one who cleans the lead out of guns.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Delaware County)

I detail clean pistols every 500 rounds if I can. At this point, I give everything a good visual inspection, and check that the safety devices are working properly. I purposely don't buy guns that are too complicated for me to take care of.