Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default my 642 questions

I just bought a S & W 642 for summer carry. When I brought it to the range, my finger got tired and my hand was hurting I think because of the massively heavy trigger pull. In fact a few times I couldnt pull the trigger and had to put the gun down and rest my fingers (I shot a total of about 60 rounds). I have relatively weak hands if you havent figured. In any event my questions:

1. Is there a way to decrease the trigger pull weight or do I just need to practice and get used to it? Would it have to go to a gunsmith and would it be costly?

2. It has crimson laser sights, should I still use my cross hairs (like on my Glock) or should I simply hold the gun at chest height , and practice getting the laser on target by eye (with both eyes open)?

Default Re: my 642 questions

Quote Originally Posted by wewo View Post
    I just bought a S & W 642 for summer carry. When I brought it to the range, my finger got tired and my hand was hurting I think because of the massively heavy trigger pull. In fact a few times I couldnt pull the trigger and had to put the gun down and rest my fingers (I shot a total of about 60 rounds). I have relatively weak hands if you havent figured. In any event my questions:

1. Is there a way to decrease the trigger pull weight or do I just need to practice and get used to it? Would it have to go to a gunsmith and would it be costly?

2. It has crimson laser sights, should I still use my cross hairs (like on my Glock) or should I simply hold the gun at chest height , and practice getting the laser on target by eye (with both eyes open)?
    I shot these at a range once. Imho, it is the last ditch weapon to be used in dire need. I shot 50 rounds and it did become a little uncomfortable but it is still fun. It seems to make you feel like you in a Godfather movie, wearing this piece in your waistband and walking around and stuff, he he he,.....

1FingrCHan

(Westmoreland County)

This is opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

Practice. Practice often. Practice a lot. The best practice would be dry fire practice. Pick up some snap caps like A Zoom http://www.lymanproducts.com/azoom/index.htm
    load them in your revolver and practice rolling the trigger. You will also build up strength rapidly. It will get easier for you as you come to learn the trigger.

A gunsmith can lighten the trigger pull by performing what is known as a "trigger job". But if this pistol is to be carried or used a self defense weapon, lightening the trigger could have some serious repercussions in a court of law. IANAL, but after a defensive use you could be painted as a trigger happy person who had their gun converted to a "hair trigger". Juries aren't going to like the sound of that.

We tend to seek mechanical solutions to physical problems. Seek a physical solution to this mechanical problem.

As far as open sights are concerned, they rule. The batteries never go dead and they're always available. Learn to use them. Learn to love them.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Northumberland County)

It would have to go to a good gunsmith to work on the trigger. However it isn't really going to get much lighter, rather it will be smoother.

I have one of these too, and mine doesn't have the lasergrips (yet). As long as you have a good grip on the gun you don't need to look at the sights with the laser. Also using the laser is a good way to work on your trigger control.

Point the unloaded gun in a safe direction, and watch the laser while you pull the trigger. try to keep the laser on target and eventually your finger will just seem to do it when you pull the trigger.

The 642 isn't really a good gun to shoot a lot. Start with the dry fire practice, this will strengthen your finger and get good trigger control, and then spend some time on the range. 60 rounds out of that little gun in a range session is a LOT!

(Westmoreland County)

I've been carrying a 642 as an at-work ankle piece for about 10 years. I have to hand it to you for making it through 60 rounds. I shoot mine about 4 times a year, just to keep up the familiarity. The trigger pull is not bad to get used to, but the light weight of the pistol will always hurt your hand after an extended range session.

Get yourself a Smith model 10 (about $200 used) and you can shoot it all day at the range. Shooting double action will help get you used to the trigger on your 642. Dry firing is a great idea if you can't get to the range, but it can be quite boring. Always more fun to kill some targets!

Good luck.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Monroe County)

As suggested already, dry-firing a few hundred times will wear the trigger a bit and smooth things out. While you don't necessarily need snap caps, I do suggest them just for piece of mind (and you can use them for loading practice).

What kind of ammo are you using? Start out using standard .38 special loads. Save the +P's for once you are used to the gun.

If this is your first revolver, try to see if you can rent/borrow a standard heavier model to shoot .38 special out of. It's a much different feel compared to a semi-auto, and it might take some getting used to.

I would suggest try getting used to the sight picture without the laser on first, and once you are familiar with that then zero-in the laser and use it in conjunction with the basic sights. After a few hundred rounds of this, then you can look at doing some 'point shooting' by using only the laser and the gun not always exactly in front of you).

It takes time and effort to learn to use these properly, but once you know how, it's a great defensive weapon.

(Allegheny County)

these guns are to be carrird often and shot seldom . it is difficult to qualify with them but shoot them often. leo must quailfy but we need to just learn to shoot them.

(Philadelphia County)

It really isn't a range gun at all. I shoot mine 50 rounds at a time at 7-10 yards about 4-6 times a year just to keep my skills in order. Other than that, it's just along for the ride everywhere I go.

I really wouldn't worry about the trigger pull. If you need to use your 642 in self defense, you won't notice the heavy trigger pull.

(Monroe County)

thanks for the advice