Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Jill Porter: Help keep the economy going by buying more guns

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    I just noticed something:
    http://www.philly.com/dailynews/colu...we_all_do.html

Funny, huh?
    Indeed. I didn't realize that we're supposed to pick and choose which parts of the Constitution count and which don't.

"I was going to buy a dining-room rug, but that won't boost the economy nearly as much as having more guns in circulation.

And I'm not just talking about the billions of dollars in profits made by gun manufacturers.

The health-care industry will continue to boom, thanks to the victims of gun violence."

Seems she feels that she is so extremely mentally unbalanced that she is admitting that if she bought a gun, she'd be liable to injure or kill someone!!

Maybe she's jealous that other people have the ability to own guns without going insane or becoming a criminal.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Just another knee-jerk reactionary who's instantly assumes that if guns are taken from the law-abiding, that violent crime will simply cease. Only we're not the ones causing the problem in the first place.

Are people like this ever gonna get it?
    They get it, but such talk is good for scaring sheeple to lazy or stupid to inform themselves.

Gun control, after all, is about power, not crime.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Berks County)

My letter to Ms. Porter

Ms. Porter,

I was greatly offended by your article on "A gun stimulated economy." I am appalled that you show so little comapssion for human life, that you would write a tounge in cheek article and belittle the sufferage that these people have experienced. Is this what journalism has come too? Exploiting the sick and injured for your career? Don't you care about all of the families and children of those people?

I'm not going to bother to point out the blatent lies in your article because I feel you are smarter than that. I am confident you can tell the difference between imaginary and reality. You know the statistics you used are ridiculous, you must know that cars kill far more people a year than guns, and that most guns used in crimes are purchased illegally, I don't have to tell you any of this.

Then again, I don't know that I can reason with you enough to retract the article or apologize to the families you exploited for your own gain. So perhaps I need to plead my case before Washington and have these grotesque articles banned from printing so that the victoms of crime will not be used in such a terrible way. There must be a penalty for falsifying information in a news article and exploiting victoms.

I hope that in the later years of your career you will think more about a topic before you go an exploit children and victoms ever again.

-Josh DePietro.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you to all that sent emails to AG Jill Porter.

Here is a letter to the editor that got published

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/opin...-FIGHTING.html

Letters: GUN RULING MEANS TRYING ACTUAL CRIME-FIGHTING
    Philadelphia Daily News

THE SUPREME Court has finally put to rest the anti-gun folks' assertions that firearms are only for police and the military.
    Interestingly, those who tried to misinterpret the Second Amendment before this decision are now both claiming victory and simultaneously wailing and gnashing their teeth.

Columnist Jill Porter actually referred to America as "a country being destroyed by the lunatic fringe of an ideologically-driven U.S. Supreme Court." Sounds like she's ready to pack up her Birkenstocks and move to Canada. I'll miss her, but the republic will survive.

Historically, the first major test this oft-assailed amendment weathered was when it helped newly emancipated slaves defend themselves. Some local authorities sought to disarm African-Americans with gun control by day to make them easier prey by night. Thankfully, that didn't work any better than City Council's unconstitutional attempts at gun control.

If Philadelphians want to reduce crime, we need a better-funded, better-supported police force with more patrol officers, a criminal-justice system that ends the revolving-door of recidivism and more aggressive prosecution. Unfortunately, this would require actual work by our politicians, while grandstanding is easier and more fun.

Tom McCourt, Philadelphia

(York County)

seriously these anti-gun people are pissing me off. What will it take for them to understand that people who buy guns legally are not the problem. Of course there are a few exceptions, but those should not be the rule. If i used their logic, we shouldn't allow people to buy cars because people use them to kill people (whether by accident or on purpose).

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    seriously these anti-gun people are pissing me off. What will it take for them to understand that people who buy guns legally are not the problem. Of course there are a few exceptions, but those should not be the rule. If i used their logic, we shouldn't allow people to buy cars because people use them to kill people (whether by accident or on purpose).
    Educated Gun owners to directly engage AG people like her on the political battlefield with facts and figures to blow holes in their emotional biased AG feelings.

They have been wining the propaganda war because of OUR silence, she should be getting hundreds of emails from angry gun owners to this kind BS article instead of only one letter published in paper.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Thank you to all that sent emails to AG Jill Porter.

Here is a letter to the editor that got published

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/opin...-FIGHTING.html
    Noticed that the picture of the Statue of Liberty is blowing her brains our with a revolver on the same page.

The paper probably got many responses but chose to only print one. Media bias to the max. But what else would you expect from the media?

E-Mail sent

Ms Porter,
    As a family member of a violent crime victim I must say how hurt and angry I am that you have the audacity to make light of this very serious issue. To insinuate that my Brother-In-Law, Carl Tomberlain's death is good for the economy is beyond reproach. You have taken the pain and suffering of the thousands of people who have lost loved ones due to the violence in this city in just the last year and and dismiss it with a few casual key strokes in order to push your own left-wing agenda. A gun was the tool that was used to kill Carl but the killer was the person who pulled the trigger. Who, By the way, Has still not been caught almost 9 months later.
    What this country needs in general and this city in particular is criminal control. Not gun control. Please use your influence and ability to reach thousands of people to bring about a real change that will work. Tougher and longer sentences for criminals and repeat offenders. Three strikes and your out. Life in prison with no parole. Prison should be the punishment it was intended to be. 24/7 in a cell only to leave the cell in restraints to shower and excercise. No concurrent sentences and no early parole. Criminals should be afraid to go to jail and not see it as a rite of passage as they do now.

I'm sure some of my views on the criminal justice system will not be very popular but that is how I feel and do not apologise for it.

Wow, I got an immediate response.

I was hardly making light of gun violence, only pointing out the horrendous cost to our society.Sorry for your loss and for your misreading of my column.

She's sorry I misread her colum.
    Am I missing something here?
    Last edited by Pennywise; July 2nd, 2008 at 09:18 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast