Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Cheap Russian Ammo Review

What about all that inexpensive Russian Ammo? By Adam Celaya

This is a great review of the cheap russian ammo available on the market today.

http://www.geocities.com/gunversatio...ssian_ammo.htm

To anyone who owns Russian rifles, the glut of inexpensive Russian ammo has been a real windfall. Think about it; at less than $3 per box of rifle ammo there is no American made ammo that even comes close economically speaking. And we are not talking about bad ammo here. Most of the imports feature hollow point bullets, water-sealed primers and bullets, all loaded to Soviet military specs. Granted, the steel Berdan primed cases cannot be reloaded, but at $2.34 a box, who in their right mind would want waste their time reloading the stuff?
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Cheap Russian Ammo Review

I've used a fair amount of .223 Wolf and Silver Bear in my Mini 14 without any problems that I can see.

Where I did run into problems was with the .45 ACP and extractors in the Thompson SMG. The cost of parts and down time wasn't worth the savings on the ammo.
    With my Colt Defender and Kimber Gold Match the steel cased ammo worked as well as brass.

When conversing with a gunsmith however I was told that the steel casings are very unforgiving on the gun.
    Jack

(York County)

why did he say?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by gunhealer65 View Post
    why did he say?
    I'm guessing it's because of brass being more malleable than the material of the extractor which would reduce wear and tear.
    I own guns!

(York County)

that wasn't really a question i just wanted to see what the smith had said being one myself.however i have fired thousands of rounds of wolf ammo over the years in pistols and rifles and have found no evidence of accelerated wear due to steel cases.the only thing i have found it is not clean burning but is reasonably accurate.

(York County)

sorry if i seem somewhat skeptical of what other smiths say but i have met alot of wannabe's and have heard alot of misinformation givin to people who where new to shooting.i worked in technical design and manufacturing /engineering for 8 years and now do gunsmithing full time.

(Lycoming County)

LOL, sorry actually the smith is one of the United States best Thompson Wizards.

The steel cases tend to over work the extractors and cause them to break. Also because the 45 head spaces on the case rim it can cause ware in the chamber. Granted we are talking many thousands of rounds, but with FA it doesn't take long.
    Jack

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1927A1 View Post
    Where I did run into problems was with the .45 ACP and extractors in the Thompson SMG.
    This is the part I don't get. Wasn't most pistol ammo in WW2 steel cased?

(Bucks County)

After .45 v 9 mm, Russian Ammo is the oldest argument on the web. I like most here have been using Wolf for years without any negative issues and will continue to do so. I would believe Global Warming before I fall in with the anti Wolf crowd.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    After .45 v 9 mm, Russian Ammo is the oldest argument on the web. I like most here have been using Wolf for years without any negative issues and will continue to do so. I would believe Global Warming before I fall in with the anti Wolf crowd.
    I shoot wolf in my AR's but until recently blazer was cheap enough that I didn't bother with wolf pistol ammo. AFAIK, allot of pistol ammo of WW2 vintage was steel cased which is why I asked re: the TSMG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast