Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Time for new deer rifles :)

The wife and me hunt deer in Delaware and they passed a law allowing pistol caliber rifles in place of slug guns. I was hoping they would allow semi rifles then we could just get 450Bushmaster uppers but semi is a no go. Ruger makes the American bolt in 450 so I think we will go that direction. This is the state's cartridge guide line...
    Only straight-wall cartridges that are of .357 to 38 caliber with a case length no less than 1.25 inches and a maximum case length of 1.82 inches, or .41 caliber to maximum of .50 caliber and a maximum case length of 1.82 inches. Case length excludes the bullet portion of the cartridge.

So...
    my question is there a pistol cartridge (that falls inside the laws definition) that I'm missing that would out perform the 450Bushmaster and has commercially available ammo and made in a manually operated rifle ??

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Time for new deer rifles :)

450 is kinda king of the hill right now for straigtwall cartridges. Its taking Ohio by storm.

444 or 450 Marlin are also good choices for a bolt gun. I'm a big 450 Bushmaster fan. Its balisticly the same as a 460 S&W mag. Just a different case for an autoloader.

For the big 3 450, 458 Socom or 50 Beo the 450 is the only one that operates at rifle pressures. It by far has the velocity advantage.

I owned all 3 at one time. I also have 45/70, 460 mag, 500 mag, 445 super mag.

450 Bushmaster is only surpassed by 444 Marlin. And its only by 100fps or so.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Marlin carbine 9mm,took a doe years ago one shot 100 yards thru the heart scoped. Another deer 50 yards with a Beretta 92 9mm with Black Talons another dropped within 30 yards of being shot ! Many deer taken with my S&W 686 357 mag including several boars !

(Bucks County)

Marlin 1894 in .44 mag is likely the best pistol caliber you’ll find with ballistics approaching the .450 BM. Rifles in some of the other calibers mentioned are likely to be very expensive and ammo will be hard to find.

I bought a new Remlin last year and took a fat, tasty doe at about 85 yards with a Black Hills 240 grain JHP.

I was really impressed with the accuracy of that Black Hills load out of that rifle. YMMV.

(Beaver County)

Look for a good used Marlin in 45-70, think pre Remington.

Easy to find components, and if you shoot cast, many bullet choices available.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    Look for a good used Marlin in 45-70, think pre Remington.

Easy to find components, and if you shoot cast, many bullet choices available.
    Three years ago I would agree with the pre-Remington advice, but I’ve bought two new Remlins in the last two years and I’m very happy with them. My .44 mag is the most accuate lever action I own. As I said in my previous post, your mileage may vary (YMMV), and I would still recommend looking over any Remington produced Marlin extremely well, but I have no complaints with my latest rifles.

I think the JM stamped Marlins are this generation’s version of the pre-64 Winchester model 70.

(Lancaster County)

So the 450 Bushmaster is the best answer, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Considering it’s OAL it’s a impressive cartridge.

9mm, 444 and 45/70 are not allowed under their guidelines

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MEK1911 View Post
    So the 450 Bushmaster is the best answer, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Considering it’s OAL it’s a impressive cartridge.

9mm, 444 and 45/70 are not allowed under their guidelines
    Sounds about right. I think your only other option that comes close to that kind of power might be something in .460 S&W mag and those rifles are wicked expensive.