Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: What is the best 7.62x39 ammo for hunting deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Right, and the op should limit his shots to the effective range of his rifle, him and the weather.
    Providing he does that, you're just proving my point.

You are suggesting facts not in evidence. Typical SKS, with irons, is more accurate than 6moa.
    And if it wasn't, it is still more accurate than most bow/bowhunter combos. The larger point is it matters not which one is more accurate. It onlymatters that it is used within it's capability.
    A 6moa rifle is a perfectly legitimate tool for shorter ranges. Ranges where 6moa is within acceptable limits. Just like a handgun or a bow.

Every hunting tool and every hunter has an effective range given the conditions of the hunt. So again, as long as the hunter exercises control and judgment, to limit shots to within those limits. Where is the problem?

So by this logic, anyone bow hunting with traditional equipment "owes it to the deer" to immediately go out and buy the most modern top end compound, with whatever wiz-bang sights are cool now, a release, etc, etc.
    Anyone who hunts with a handgun "owes it to the deer" to go by a scoped 30-06..

It's nonsense.

The OP wants to hunt with a rifle. Just like a handgun hunter, he *could* use a scoped 30-06 bolt gun. Not relevant. Provided the hunter learns the limitations and hunts within those limitations there is no problem. Hunt ethically and the tool is 100% irrelevant. Not to mention that the inverse is true, in that an unethical hunter will be no more ethical with a scoped 30-06 than they would be with any other tool.
    You can try to twist whatever you want... my stance is:

You should use the most accurate / effective tool available for the job when somethings life is on the line.

If you want to shoot traditional thats fine, but make sure you can use it effectively and know your limits. If you are shooting a 6" group with your traditional and a 1" group with your compound then you should be using your compound.

there is no reason to use an inferior tool when you have a more effective option available to you.

the 6" moa was supplied by the OP, its not irrelevant and I've already spoken to him in PM about it and we are perfectly fine... I still disagree with his choice but its his choice.

I agree with the unethical hunter comment 100%.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

I guess I'm going to chime in here, and throw in my .02, which may or may not be worth much. I'm an avid hunter, and what I would consider an ethical hunter; I have never wounded a deer (shot one where it wasn't at the very least a heart shot), never had a deer escape.

I personally wouldn't use an SKS to hunt deer, but that's merely because of my accuracy requirements. IF I shot the rifle and ammunition and found that it had acceptable accuracy, then I might use it in limited distances. I personally do NOT consider 6 MOA ethical to kill at deer at 100 yards, although I do find it accurate enough to kill a deer at 50 yards or less. I personally also do NOT believe that most people should be shooting at deer offhand at 100 yards. I know some people that can get VERY accurate hits on deer vitals at 300 yards offhand, but this is with rifles that are inherently more accurate than an SKS. Shooting offhand is a skill that takes a lot of experience and practice to do well and reliably. I think that 6 MOA at 100 yards is unacceptable, that's my personal opinion. I'm not saying that it won't kill animals, or that people don't do it with pistols, muzzle loaders, etc. I just personally hold myself to a higher accuracy standard.

I believe that the cartridge is more than taking deer. I think that the SKS can even do it at 100 yards, IF you had a good rest and were well versed in that particular rifle. I do NOT think that you should be shooting at deer offhand, lean it up against a tree, it makes a world of difference. I think that if you make WISE decisions about the distance, and position that you shoot from, you can ethically take an animal with this combination. I'm having faith that you (the OP) will make a wise decision that is considerate of the animal.

Now about rifle selection, I do want to say a few things. Are you SERIOUSLY really concerned about the difference between .50 rounds and $1.50 rounds for your 7mm-08? Keep in mind that we're talking about hunting, not practice shooting. I doubt it would take you a box of shells to zero your rifle, especially if it's already even sort of sighted in with cheaper ammunition. So let's say it costs you $30 at most to zero your rifle for that load. Then you are going hunting, you wouldn't get much more than MAYBE 2 shots per animal. So at most, let's say you take 6 shots throughout the season to get however many deer you're gonna get. So you spend another $8. Now $38 is a fair bit of money, but in the grand scheme of what it will cost you to process the deer, or wear and tear on your machinery and sleeves to do it yourself, it's not that much money. If you buy 2 boxes of the same lot, and leave your rifle zero'ed, you'll have the same lot of ammunition and be able to just confirm your zero each year with just a couple of shots, and hunt with the rest. It's not unheard of to have that second box of ammunition last people 5 years or more. Just remember that you're talking about LIVES, you are taking about pain and suffering, and what an animal is giving you. Please do all that you can to make sure it suffers as little as possible, and that may include spending the extra $1 per round to do it. Save up on your practice ammo by doing plenty of dry firing so that when you do shoot, they count. Hunting these days is never cheap, you throw in license, gas, equipment, ammunition, etc; it can get quite expensive. $38-40 is a fair bit, but if it's too much, maybe you need to reconsider some things or hunting. It might be better to save what you spent on your license, ammo, etc, and go buy that much beef or chicken. Be wise my friend.

As others have said, as long as you're using a ballistic tip, hollow point (non match grade), or soft nose bullet; you'll reliably drop deer IF your shot placement is right. Remember that not all polymer tipped bullets are created equal, some polymer tipped bullets are varmint bullets. They also have different jacket thicknesses, so some will expand faster or slower than others. Make SURE that you shoot your rifle with the ammunition you intend on hunting with, confirm your zero and KNOW where the bullets will hit.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; November 26th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.

(Clinton County)

Well, went out and got some soft point Winchesters this evening. They were only $9.99! These are noticably older than the grey boxed winchesters that are going for around $22 at another gun shop. Don't think it makes a difference though. They said they got these in a long time ago and they have just been sitting around and they have plenty more so i think i will be getting a few more boxes in the near future to shoot at the range.

Here they are...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    Well, went out and got some soft point Winchesters this evening. They were only $9.99! These are noticably older than the grey boxed winchesters that are going for around $22 at another gun shop. Don't think it makes a difference though. They said they got these in a long time ago and they have just been sitting around and they have plenty more so i think i will be getting a few more boxes in the near future to shoot at the range.

Here they are...
    I think I saw those at Miller's.

(Clinton County)

Yep! Your exactly right. Millers gun shop is where i got them. They are pretty pricey with some of their stuff but sometimes you get lucky. I wouldn't get AR's there, nationals has them for about 200 bucks cheaper. I like millers though, thats where i got my 7mm08. Nationals is just down the street from me so i use them most of the time. Plus i like the gunsmith that works there, he's a good guy.
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Yep! Your exactly right. Millers gun shop is where i got them. They are pretty pricey with some of their stuff but sometimes you get lucky. I wouldn't get AR's there, nationals has them for about 200 bucks cheaper. I like millers though, thats where i got my 7mm08. Nationals is just down the street from me so i use them most of the time. Plus i like the gunsmith that works there, he's a good guy.
    I buy almost exclusively from National. Is Dave the gunsmith as well as the owner? For some reason I can't see Drew gunsmithing.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by LowCapacity View Post
    I buy almost exclusively from National. Is Dave the gunsmith as well as the owner? For some reason I can't see Drew gunsmithing.
    I don't know them on a first name basis yet but the guy who uses the cane is the gunsmith i thought. He has been very helpful with me.
    μολ ν λαβέ

I don't know them on a first name basis yet but the guy who uses the cane is the gunsmith i thought. He has been very helpful with me.
    Ah, I believe his name is Rod. I usually go in Saturdays and he's usually not working, especially during hunting season.

(Clinton County)

Yea he doesn't work weekends. They have good deals there but the younger guy with glasses isnt up to date on the PGC regulations lol.
    μολ ν λαβέ

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456