Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Default Re: Could Sunday hunting be on its' way? HB 1760

Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    And it would be all that much easier if you had two days a weekend to get the youngsters out.
    Guess I stand corrected.

Really, I'm all for hunting. So much in fact that I think people should be able to do it every day of the week, and even with those scary black rifles.
    If you want to talk about getting the kids interested in hunting, I'm sure a lot of you cut your teeth on small game. I would be all for Sunday hunting to get the youth out more if they would make it small game only. Had a lot of good times with my friends in the early years when I was chasing rabbits and listening to beagles sing ( for those who say you don't have beagles, my earliest experiences were just busting brush and missing a lot, but a lot of fun never the less). As for learning to move slow, and sitting quietly waiting for a clean shot, squirrel hunting is an excellent teacher.

(Erie County)

This is a good topic for discussion. I work 6 days a week and would love to have the opportunity to hunt on Sundays. This morning I was able to hunt from daylight until 9am because I have to go to work, no option not to go. Tomorrow, I'm going to be sitting around. I may actually go scout out a spot, but would love to be able to bring my bow with me. There's so much disagreement as to how this could work. Due to people using trails on sundays, people not wanting others on their land on Sundays, etc. Make certain Gamelands open to hunting on Sundays the ones that are not used by hikers and bird watchers etc. Any land owner who grants someone permission to hunt can stipulate wether the land can be hunted on Sundays. Today I was one of 3 cars on Gameland Road in Bloomfield Township GameLand #202. It is a 400+ acre parcel of land that rarely is over populated by hunters at any given time. Even first day of rifle season affords plenty of room for hunters. I have never seen a bird watcher nor a hiker anywhere on that gameland and I know that gameland from lincolnville road to its borderline by Rt8 and from gameland road to where it butts up to the other properties south of its border lines. Another gameland that I see very rarely used is 161 near Lake Pleasant Rd. That is roughly 250acres of some dense heavy are but another great spot of PGC owned land that could be designated as Sunday hunting. I know designate only certain game lands and to many people would be on it right? I seriously doubt it. First day of rifle almost anywhere packed up good, after that you got a whole lot of land all to yourself and maybe just a few other people at best.
    Muzzel Down Range, Eyes On Target...

(Allegheny County)

State Game Lands was bought and paid for by hunting license sales for many decades a portion of each hunting license to be used buy and set a side open land designated for hunting purposes.

Let the bird watchers and hikers go hike on the land that their special bird watching license and hiking license paid for were they can dictate how and who can use their land

~OR ~

Let them start wearing fluorescent orange hat and vest, IF they want to "share" the use of the State Game Lands during hunting season.

All PA State Game Lands should be open for sunday hunting, private property well that is the privilege of the owners (renters that pay the property taxes) to specify how its used and by who.
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Bucks County)

No hunting on Sundays enacted in 1873 sounds a lot like the Sunday Blue Laws (religion-based) we lived with until some businesses figured out ways around the language and the "Flea Markets" were born. The Blue Laws were finally either just not enforced or were rescinded...don't really know nor care.

The Pa Game Commission and Commonwealth in general seems to operate on the Olde Common Law principles brought over from merry olde England wherein deer are the property of the Commonwealth and the privilege of hunting them is at the property-owner's pleasure....except that if you hit a deer, the deer in that case is a wild animal and the Commonwealth has no interest in the matter with respect to compensation to the motorist or to a homeowner regarding damages to shrubbery, flowers and trees.

For years and years, I would be returning home on opening day by car, listening to the same message on the radio (news) specifying how many deer were taken that day...a truly absurd and impossible message. Along those lines, for years and years the game commission claimed a herd of 600,000. Suddenly one year it was declared to be over a million, IIRC.

The game commission is a political animal (pun intended). It is calculated to make the commonwealth money, and to assist chambers of commerce that rely on deer season. If we could hunt on Sunday, many would not have to take off from work during the week, rent motels and hotels, and spend money on other ripple-effects generated by no Sunday hunting.

On the theory the game commission is a political entity, I have no hope of semi-auto firearms ever being allowed for deer hunting in the shadow of so many incidents being labeled "assault rifle".

I used to think a person should be able to shoot a deer on their own property, but it is not possible as long as deer "belong" to the Commonwealth.

That I cannot coup d'grace a deer with a semi-auto pistol LTCF-carried while hunting is just chicken-shit application of law. You are not shooting a deer to bring it down with an illegal firearm. The deer is down and if not dead, what's the difference between a hammer to its head and a semi-auto shot to C-2.

(Allegheny County)

Currently in PA you can use an UN plugged semi-auto shotgun for deer hunting in the most densely populated part of PA.

In some counties with legal to use semi-auto shot gun for deer, its a single projectile, in others Counties. Its buck shot only, where with each shot sends more than a half dozen 32 cal projectiles down range spraying through the urban woods.

yet in 48 states they allow apparently more responsible hunters the freedom to use semi-auto rifles for hunting without all the claimed danger of pray and spray slob hunters in PA would suddenly become more totally irresponsible IF semi-auto rifles where legalized in PA.

currently IF you really want to hunt with semi-auto rifle there is an (No Permit Required) exemption

Semiautomatic Firearm for Big Game in PA
    the PGC allows qualified people with amputation or total loss of use of one or both hands to Use a semiautomatic shotgun, rifle, or pistol to take deer or bear.

I wouldn't suggest to anyone to give up your hand just to get the get the loop hole in the law.

The prohibition in PA not to allow the use of semi-auto rifles is a limitation by the state legislators, same as the no Sunday hunting, it is controlled by the state legislators NOT the PCG.

FYI

Recently speaking with Rep Saccone he will be reintroducing HB 2333 to legalize semi-auto rifles for hunting in PA in the 2015-2016 session
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

Move to one of these counties in wv

http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/sundayhunt.shtm

Hunt on Sundays with your ar, on your own land without a license...all legal
    Montani Semper Liberi

North of Jim Thorpe, Bear Creek Lakes, Pennsylvania
    (Carbon County)

I was in North Carolina hunting last week. I read in the local (Roanoke Rapids) newspaper that Sunday hunting would start in a week or two there, and that Pennsylvania was next. The article mentioned the Pennsylvania politician who was working with the Pa. Game Commission and the bill number. In North Carolina, Sunday hunting is permitted from a half hour before sun up until 09:30, and starts up again at 12:30. Apparently hunting is prohibited while church services are underway.
    I was at the Lily Pond Creek Hunting Lodge in Jackson, N.C. for muzzle loader season. There were four hunters Monday thru Saturday, a hunter Wednesday thru Friday and a very part-time hunter. We netted fourteen deer. My neighbor got two does and two bucks (one was an eight pointer), the two Philly guys each got an eight pointer and a doe and went home early, the guy from Mass. got two does and I got a doe and two four pointers. The part timer got a doe. If PA. is indeed next, that would be a good thing.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DMcC View Post
    I was in North Carolina hunting last week. I read in the local (Roanoke Rapids) newspaper that Sunday hunting would start in a week or two there, and that Pennsylvania was next. The article mentioned the Pennsylvania politician who was working with the Pa. Game Commission and the bill number. In North Carolina, Sunday hunting is permitted from a half hour before sun up until 09:30, and starts up again at 12:30. Apparently hunting is prohibited while church services are underway.
    I was at the Lily Pond Creek Hunting Lodge in Jackson, N.C. for muzzle loader season. There were four hunters Monday thru Saturday, a hunter Wednesday thru Friday and a very part-time hunter. We netted fourteen deer. My neighbor got two does and two bucks (one was an eight pointer), the two Philly guys each got an eight pointer and a doe and went home early, the guy from Mass. got two does and I got a doe and two four pointers. The part timer got a doe. If PA. is indeed next, that would be a good thing.

You would think a lot of rural employers would get behind Sunday hunting given how much work is missed trying to do it during workdays.

p.s. Deer? Savage 99 on .308 Win. Although I was lucky that in TX I enjoyed shooting deer with a Mini-14 Ranch. If you're trying to aim for the heart/lungs and you zip past the front of the animal, a very fast second shot that you can't really pull off with bolt and certainly not with lever action can often prevent ruining your whole day.

Shotgun + deer... why? Does PA have a lot of deaf deer that let you get closer than 30yds before they freak or does everyone sit at the top of a tree all day with their shotguns pointed down at the ground?

(Bucks County)

If I haven't said so in the last few minutes...
    -Fuck the fudds and the blue laws they rode in on.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Westmoreland County)

I shot my elk a week ago today. On a Sunday and guess what? Nothing bad happened and nobody got upset. Time to bring this state at least into the 20th century.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast