Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default PA state trooper

This happend to me on my way to the guns across America rally saturday. I live in Williamsport and worked till 10 am. I didnt wanna be late so I was driving 65mph on 15 south 10 mph over and I passed a car in the turning lane. Got pulled over by a state trooper. Handed him my insurance and registration card, when I handed him my licences I also handed him my LTCF and told him I had my pistol. Conversation went like this: trooper:where is your gun, me: under my coat on the passendger seat. trooper: thats good, everyone should carry. me: absolutely. Trooper: would you mind unloading it? me: no problem. trooper: I think everyone should be issued a LTCF when they are born. Me: absolutely. It just so happens that the reason im in a hurry is because im on my way to a pro 2A rally at the capitol. trooper: Well....normally you would be getting 2 tickets, one for reckless driving and one for speeding but im gonna let you go, enjoy the rally and put a word in for me.
    I shook his hand and said " thank you very much"
    Made me feel good not only because I didint get 2 fines but The troopers position on concealed carry and the 2nd ammendment.

(Chester County)

Default Re: PA state trooper

Doesn't sound too bad... except where he asked you to unload it. That was kind of odd. It's much safer to leave a gun be rather than handling it unnecessarily if it was asked to be unloaded for "officer safety."

(Pike County)

Chalk it up as a GOOD encounter. Yeah some folks are going to say why unload it. I kinda feel the same, Why unload it as it is the lesser of the evils. But he did not ask for you to step out, then detain weapon . All while you are cuffed and serial numbers ran in the registry..

(Lehigh County)

If the officer was worried about the gun at all (which I assume he was since he asked you to unload it) why would he ask you to handle the gun to unload it??? I think it would be "safer" for him if you kept your mitts off the gun altogether.
    "These Romans are crazy!"

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Billpfirman View Post
    This happend to me on my way to the guns across America rally saturday. I live in Williamsport and worked till 10 am. I didnt wanna be late so I was driving 65mph on 15 south 10 mph over and I passed a car in the turning lane. Got pulled over by a state trooper. Handed him my insurance and registration card, when I handed him my licences I also handed him my LTCF and told him I had my pistol. Conversation went like this: trooper:where is your gun, me: under my coat on the passendger seat. trooper: thats good, everyone should carry. me: absolutely. Trooper: would you mind unloading it? me: no problem. trooper: I think everyone should be issued a LTCF when they are born. Me: absolutely. It just so happens that the reason im in a hurry is because im on my way to a pro 2A rally at the capitol. trooper: Well....normally you would be getting 2 tickets, one for reckless driving and one for speeding but im gonna let you go, enjoy the rally and put a word in for me.
    I shook his hand and said " thank you very much"
    Made me feel good not only because I didint get 2 fines but The troopers position on concealed carry and the 2nd ammendment.
    Now its your turn to pay-it-forward.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Why did you feel the need to let him know you had a weapon on you? Just curious because I have not had this happen to me yet. My stand will probably be to not say a word unless he asks me if I have a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Now its your turn to pay-it-forward.
    Yeah, thats about a 400.00 pif

(Northampton County)

He wanted you to handle your loaded firearm? That's extremely bizarre. I probably would have said no.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Papman29 View Post
    Why did you feel the need to let him know you had a weapon on you? Just curious because I have not had this happen to me yet. My stand will probably be to not say a word unless he asks me if I have a weapon.
    In this case, it saved him $300.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    In this case, it saved him $300.
    I would expect such a request to cost me my life. I don't think I'm going to roll the dice on that one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast