Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Best ideas for security......

Get an alarm and get a dog. Cut lengths of wood to secure your window frames so they can't be pried open (window locks are easy broken). Maybe they sell something. Bars on the ground floor windows are awesome but might look out of place in the burbs.

Make sure your doors and frames are solid. Put your alarm company sticker on your front door.

Outdoor sensor lights are great.

All of this should secure you against all but the most determined burglars. First it's a bitch to get in (breaking a window or picking/drilling a lock), then there's an alarm to worry about, then there's a damn dog inside.

Not impenetrable but good enough with getting into Home Alone bear trap territory.

(Philadelphia County)

Forgot one of the most important things:

Make sure your locks are bump-proof.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrody View Post
    OP were your guns taken from a safe in the burglary? Just curious because I live in an area where I wouldn't expect a fast police response to a burglar alarm. I am also concerned that while a cctv system might help catch or deter criminals it is not a physical barrier.

I would like to conceal and secure my guns while keeping them accessable, i am thinking within walls and furniture primarily. Most of that would be custom, but I love to see what others have done.
    If we showed you they wouldn't be very secret, now would they?

Quote Originally Posted by ragequit View Post
    Forgot one of the most important things:

Make sure your locks are bump-proof.

Another piece I forget to mention. Picking is easy and bumping is even easier sometimes. Again, if you grab it off the shelf in Home Depot you can expect that it is easily defeated. Talk to a local professional locksmith about what types of locks to buy.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    Given that criminals troll threads like this, try to keep any specific information that could help them from being posted; speak in generalities if possible.

All that being said, in 2011 we had a burglary and I had guns stolen. After that incident, security became a year long project I undertook. We now have multiple cameras recording 24/7 in and around the house. We have outside lights which are motion activated. Walk into the beam, set off the lights, and be recorded. Also in the house are motion sensors on every floor. The system also has redundancies....if the phone line is cut (a favorite trend of criminals now) we have cell phone backup which will call the police. We have a backup generator which kicks on automatically if the power goes out to keep the system running. We have other things too which I will not mention here.

All that being said, I am always looking for good ideas from others and what they are doing in regards to their security. So as much as you can share, I would be curious of any innovative ideas you might be employing.
    You forget/overlooked the most important one- the big bad German sheperd Dog, he could have saved you a ton of money- oh well at least you dont have to walk the cctv system.

Also about 90% of home theft/gun theft are inside jobs so dont get over complacent on your security system, still keep an eye out on the "little guy on your little league team"

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    Pepper spray is used every day in the street; why couldn't I employ it in my house?

Amazed to see so many concerned about the welfare of the criminals.
    Anybody whose had the pleasure of going to law school I'm sure has had to read Katko v. Briney in their tort class. I posted the wiki, but basically a farmer had an unoccupied house on his farm that was the target of repeat burglaries. The farmer having enough set up a shotgun to be fired when the door opened. Sure enough a burglar came and got shot (non-fatal the shotgun was aimed at the legs). The burglar sued and was successful in his tort claim for battery. In the courts words "the law has always placed a higher value upon human safety than upon mere rights in property."

Nobody here is trying to justify this type of rationale or care about the welfare of criminals, but rather save you from a legal nightmare if something were to happen. Not to mention the unintended risk to first responders. There's plenty of ways to secure your home legally without worrying about losing everything in a judgment from the bastard who tried to rob you.

Wiki of Katko v. Briney
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katko_v._Briney

Also got to love Briney, when asked if he'd do anything differently he said "There's one thing I'd do different, though, I'd have aimed that gun a few feet higher."

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by SkullBone View Post
    Totally understood. I was just pointing out how a liberal / aclu / shifty lawyer might try and attack that "trap" and defend a dirtbags "rights". Hell, if I could afford a troop of attack baboons I'd do it.
    The problem is the traps would trigger indiscriminately. I don't think you would want to your trap to go off at the front door spraying the local girl scouts just trying to sell you cookies.

Its dangerous, and to be honest. Not that necessary. I don't think the protection it could in theory provide out weighs the risk that it brings to causing harm to innocent people.

(Montgomery County)

I find it interesting that the guy that mentions using an automated OC/pepper spray system gets jumped on, meanwhile multiple folks keep mentioning "big and bad" dogs seemingly as an acceptable alternative. Think there wouldn't be a law suit if your dog bit ("attacked") a BG?? <shrug>

(Mercer County)

If a criminal can beat my security system, then get by my two hungery Danes, go unseen by the "old ball and chain", and find where the gun safes and valuables are hidden and open the safes without alerting the dogs or Grammy their welcome to what ever they find and can get out the door with.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by SL Dan View Post
    I find it interesting that the guy that mentions using an automated OC/pepper spray system gets jumped on, meanwhile multiple folks keep mentioning "big and bad" dogs seemingly as an acceptable alternative. Think there wouldn't be a law suit if your dog bit ("attacked") a BG?? <shrug>
    That is a terrible idea too. Dog bite cases are one of the easiest cases to get sued on since they fall under strict liability. You can always argue that the person shouldn't of been in your house stealing everything at 3 in the morning though.

(York County)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast