Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Hunting

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Coyote Hunting

I think the big one at Mosquito Creek Sportsman came about as a way to help the neighbor who was losing his sheep to coyotes. It used to be hunting was limited to 5 (?) counties in the immediate area, it's only been the last few years that it has gone statewide. Plus they get membership money since I believe you have to join the club.

But I'm not in that area any more, I could be wrong.

Dale

Thumbs up Re: Coyote Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I think the big one at Mosquito Creek Sportsman came about as a way to help the neighbor who was losing his sheep to coyotes. It used to be hunting was limited to 5 (?) counties in the immediate area, it's only been the last few years that it has gone statewide. Plus they get membership money since I believe you have to join the club.

But I'm not in that area any more, I could be wrong.

Dale
    Hello Dale,

I'll take any of their ' Top 3 ' prizes at Mosquito Creek ... that's serious cash ... gettin' paid for something we like to do ... not a bad idea.

I'm under the impression that it's open to anyone ... at least I can't recall anything mentioning membership requirement and I mention the hunt in a Game/Guns Report I do for a local gun club and so far none of our members have sad anything regarding required membership.

I think it's a good idea .. brings cash to the club + town .. sells licenses, guns, ammo, calls, dogs, fuel and at the top of most hunters lists, it helps the deer herd ... that's a pretty good impact !

Take Care Dale
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BanginBonnie2 View Post
    Hello Sandcut,

I can understand your outlook on ' contests ', but to my knowledge, these contests came about ' to save our deer, snowshoes, cottontails and turks , etc '.

... flip side of the coin ... how many Sportin' Goods Stores do you know of That Don't have a Big Buck or a Big Turk or a Big Trout contest ... it's smart biz practice.

I think the clubs that sponsor the contests look at it as if .. ' Well, if the P G C isn't going to help the deer herd, we will ' ... hence the reason for the Big Payouts ... it gets guys interested in the financial aspect and in doing so saves the stuff we eat.

... what ' ya think .. yeah/nay ?

Take Care
    I think you have some good points. My earlier post wasn't, necessarily, stating that I thought all contests were bad. I have several close acquaintences that participate in coyote/bass/turkey/buck contests and enjoy them immensely. I'm a little more reclusive and don't enjoy the "group thing" as much. To each his own.

The point that I was responding to was about the guys that use the (insert event/hunting season of choice here) as an excuse to get piss drunk and carry a rifle. That I have a BIG issue with. I know of people who behave like this and chose to avoid those areas/events where they frequent.

FWIW, I also don't particpate in big buck contests, bass tournaments, etc. I get far too few days in the field (at least for my tastes) doing what I enjoy (hunting, fishing) to be focused on bringing in the "biggest" animal. I (I'm talking me personally) feel that contests do cheapen the experience because, instead of enjoying my time in the field, I'd be focussing on whether I'm going to win or, worse, not enjoying the event because I'm not seeing coyotes or I'm only catching pickerel instead of bass. It's a distraction.

I'd rather enjoy my time catching pickerels and bluegills or, as happened last year, watching a hawk come in to my predator call instead of a coyote.

Or, maybe I've just seen "Avatar" too many times and that "spirit of Eywa" crap is starting to warp my thinking.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Thumbs up Re: Coyote Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I think you have some good points. My earlier post wasn't, necessarily, stating that I thought all contests were bad. I have several close acquaintences that participate in coyote/bass/turkey/buck contests and enjoy them immensely. I'm a little more reclusive and don't enjoy the "group thing" as much. To each his own.

The point that I was responding to was about the guys that use the (insert event/hunting season of choice here) as an excuse to get piss drunk and carry a rifle. That I have a BIG issue with. I know of people who behave like this and chose to avoid those areas/events where they frequent.

... watching a hawk come in to my predator call instead of a coyote.

Or, maybe I've just seen "Avatar" too many times and that "spirit of Eywa" crap is starting to warp my thinking.

Hello Sand,

I don't think that's warped thinkin' at all ... it's good you get out when ever you can, and probably best in the fashion that you do, with R + R as a premier thought.

Never had a hawk hit the speaker .. but have had a couple owls take a shot at it .. that cranked up the ol' battery !

As you say, it's the time + memory ... couple of my faves ... sittin' in a tree stand for bear in Maine .. Pine Marten climbs tree and sits on my boot

... also in Maine .. in a ground blind for bear .. bear crosses the trail, finally about 2 hrs. later comes toward blind, walking at me .. brushes the blind as he walks past ... comes back, brushing it again ... talk about accelerated heartbeat !

Like you, I refuse to tolerate slob behavior .. too many good folks out there !

Take Care Sand

(Wayne County)

Pine Marten climbs tree and sits on my boot
    OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

I had a grey squirrel climb up me like a tree while in full camou but, a pine marten. That is absolutely AWESOME!

I am so incredibly jealous!
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Or, maybe I've just seen "Avatar" too many times and that "spirit of Eywa" crap is starting to warp my thinking
    I haven't seen Avatar, but I have read about the American Indian utopia nature worship theme of the native blue people. There is nothing wrong with it either ( except many Indians were NOT in some utopia- some tribes were at war alot and did terrible things to enemies long before Columbus was even a baby). The best part of hunting is when you start to "become one with nature". The slobs you encounter are akin to drunken buffalo "hunters" shooting from trains. They are anti-nature and I wish there was an open season of this type of varmint LOL! Even smelly mangey coyotes are better than these assholes.

BTW if I had a pine marten climb up on me, I'd be a little nervous! They have claws like a house cat and little needle teeth. I'd be sitting REAL still waiting for it to get off of me! Well hey better a pine marten on me than a wolverine or badger- or a raccoon!
    LOL, I am a woman...

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    ... The best part of hunting is when you start to "become one with nature". The slobs you encounter are akin to drunken buffalo "hunters" shooting from trains.

BTW if I had a pine marten climb up on me, I'd be a little nervous! They have claws like a house cat and little needle teeth. I'd be sitting REAL still waiting for it to get off of me! ...

Hello X D 40,

'Ya know X D, I can sit all day in the woods, like say for deer/bear season and not see a thing and still have a good time watchin' a mouse or some squirrel or bluejay ... let it snow while all that is happenin', and I'm all smiles and in Heaven !

Was out for Snowshoe rabbits in Pike County a few years back .. left my Beagles at home and just walked/crawled the swamp ... I sat and watched this crazy little Ermine for about an hour ... did I get a charge out of that !

... " pine marten climb up on me, I'd be a little nervous " .. I'd like to say the " twitch " that scared him off my foot was intentional, but " holy crap " he's on my hoof would be more in line with the truth

... " drunken buffalo "hunters" .. " ... a fabulous comparison !

Take Care X D
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Berks County)

I have heard reports of many coyotes near limerick power plant.There is an increased deer heard down there and some sort of wild ram herd(more like a farm animal) that people can shoot because it isn't recognized by the game commission as a game animal. I can see why the coyotes are moving to where the food is.I don't think a lot of people hunt them in the SE part of the state.

(Somerset County)

Hello Dale,

I'll take any of their ' Top 3 ' prizes at Mosquito Creek ... that's serious cash ... gettin' paid for something we like to do ... not a bad idea.

I'm under the impression that it's open to anyone ... at least I can't recall anything mentioning membership requirement and I mention the hunt in a Game/Guns Report I do for a local gun club and so far none of our members have sad anything regarding required membership.

I think it's a good idea .. brings cash to the club + town .. sells licenses, guns, ammo, calls, dogs, fuel and at the top of most hunters lists, it helps the deer herd ... that's a pretty good impact !

Take Care Dale
    You're right it's some serious cash. A lot of hunters too. You do have to be a member but you can join the club at the same time you register for the hunt. That's part of the reason they have 6600 members. Cut and pasted (I deleted names) from the club's website:

2009 Coyote Hunt Resultsm

3800 Registered Hunters 30,4000 Total Prize Money

Each hunter who harvested a coyote received a check for $87.86for every coyote which they harvested

1st Place # $7,600 50.95 lbs.

2nd Place: # $4,060 50.15 lb.

3rd Place # $3 ,040 49.10 lbs

Counties in which coyotes were harvested ( 40 counties in all) .

Erie: -16; Mercer -15; Crawford -11; Elk -9; Warren -9 ; Montour – 8; Clinton -7; Bradford – 7; Clearfield -7: Tioga- 6 McKean -6; Potter -6; Jefferson -5; Allegheny -4; Centre -4; Columbia -4; Lackawanna -4; Butler -3; Susquehanna -3; Whyoming _3; Lycoming -3; Clarion -2; West Moreland -2; Cameron-2; Blair -2; Northhampton – 2; Fayette -2; Cambria -2; Huntington-2; Sullivan -2; Luzerne -1;Forest -1; Snyder-1;

Carbon -1; Lawrence -1; Forrest -1; Somerest =1; Indiana -1; Cumberland -1; Daulphin - 1

Dale

(Washington County)

I went for the first time last fri night....it was supposed to be the fullest moon out of the year or something but there ended up being an overcast to cover the moon.....sat night was perfect but didnt go....super bright out and snow on the ground......talk about insulation (notexpensive)....i got the right amount of layers down according to the degrees and windchill.lol....none of it being really insulated at all.....but never being cold....went down to cross creek where we seen some spotting for deer early season. Seen a bunch of tracks (big) when we went in....never been there so didnt know how to hunt it, kinda went off a fling. Gonna go here sometime again soon and hava planned setep....theres a few out that way

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast