Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CROW hunting?

(Monroe County)

Default CROW hunting?

I have a couple of crow hunting questions, a friend told me we dont need orange hats or jackets (we can use just camo like coyote hunting) im not so sure about that,and also i have lots of 7.5 lead shot 12 gauge shells and in the PA hunting rules book it's kinda vague,so my big question is can i use lead shot for the crows?

thanks in advance for any help..................fred

(Adams County)

Default Re: CROW hunting?

Nope, no orange for crows, from the handbook
    No fluorescent orange is required when hunting waterfowl, doves, spring gobblers, crows and furbearers.
    None is required during the regular archery deer season, except during an overlap with turkey seasons and
    during the early muzzleloader deer season/special October antlerless firearms season. Hunters participating in
    the after-Christmas flintlock muzzleloader or archery deer seasons are not required to wear fluorescent orange
    (See Special Regulations Areas section in this Digest for additional information). Hunters participating in the
    spring gobbler season are no longer required to wear a fluorescent orange hat while moving.

Lead shot is fine, crows aren't waterfowl

Bring a LOT of ammo. Get a crow caller and a garden owl decoy. Set the crows up that you shoot as more decoys.

Be safe and Have fun.
    Give the crows to someone who traps for fox baits.

(Carbon County)

electronic caller a must. you can use anything you want to shoot them with. all they are is rats with wings...fun hunting and not easy...smart little bastards

(Centre County)

Do most people use shotguns or rifles? If rifles, rimfire(.22LR)? If Centerfire - varmint caliber such as .223?

I have never hunted crows either, but don't like them (but respect them for their cunning and intelligence) and ought to go out and try.

Awaiting your opinions and the benefit of your respective experiences.

(Monroe County)

I tried my luck today. Got out set up in a natural blind, camoed up and started calling. The hired were in the area. They saw the cogs and came in for a closer look but never landed. If I had my shotgun I could have gotten 2. But since I only had my 22 with me I didn't want to shoot into the air. So they lived for now. I'll try again next Friday.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Carbon County)

shot gun a must

(Monroe County)

well we (my friend randy and i) went out with the 12 gauges and no caller,just to look for some spots that might be good,but funny thing when i got home i put my computer speakers out the window and played a video of crows cawing and they have been outside ever since,last night about 6:00 there were about 20 of them in my yard and every time i play the video they go nuts! (the video is on you tube,"the sounds of crows in the morning" is the name) man it works good! i hope the johnny stewart caller works that good! i just bought a bolt action scoped savage edge .223,vthat should be fun for getting them in the trees.
    Last edited by freddy g; March 6th, 2011 at 12:20 PM.

(Monroe County)

I went to cabelas and picked up a western rivers E-caller,what junk! don't waist your money on this piece of crap! i tried it out in my yard and no crows came,so i took it to the local cornfield and there were a half dozen crows there eating,i set up about 40 yards away from them turned on the caller all they did was look at me and go back to eating, i would think that crow's are just hard to call but when i play a call from my PC they go nuts. do you guys have any suggestions on a caller that works good?

(Adams County)

The Johnny Stewart caller is the best. There is a crow and owl fight, a crow and hawk and the speaker has a 25' cord and radio shack has connectors that allow you to make a 100' cord if you want. My digital caller really brings them in but they're not stupid, once the shooting starts they'll haul ass. I lay on my back with a bed sheet over me but it hurts like hell to have a shotgun go off against your shoulder when you're on the ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast