Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Ever thought of polling local L.E.?

After reading several of the threads on open carry, I wondered to myself if most local police departments (or Sheriff's Departments) know about OC and that it is 100% legal.

While I do not open carry, I must say that the thought intrigues me. What stops me you ask? Probably the same thing that stops most people...the fear that local LEO's won't know that it is legal and the fear of having someone call in "man with a gun". Even though things should go your way in a face to face with a LEO, there is still the fear of getting a LEO who is high on authority and having him/her trying to charge me with something like disorderly conduct or something like that and the expense and hassle which would result.

Now, I did OC one time. How far? Like 15 feet from my car into the house. We had come home from a friends at like 10:30 PM and I asked my wife if she knew that OC was legal. She said that she did not, so I took the t-shirt which covered my .38 in a Fobus paddle holster and tucked it behind the gun. Wow, I'm bold...aren't I?

So, I was wondering if anyone else thought it would be interesting to call or e-mail their local (town, township, borough, city, Sheriff's Dept.) LE agency and post the results here. I would think the most interesting questions would be...
    1. Do your officers/deputies know the OC is legal?
    2. What would you do if you were called to a MWAG (man with a gun) call and found it to just be someone OC'ing.
    3. What would you do if you were on patrol and saw someone OC'ing?

Just thought of another question...
    4. What is your opinion of someone who open carries?

I'm at work right now, but will e-mail my local police chief and ask those questions when I have a few minutes after lunch. I will post his reply when I receive it.
    Last edited by dmg1969; July 6th, 2007 at 12:40 PM.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Perry County)

Default Re: Ever thought of polling local L.E.?

E-mail sent to Chief Dennis McMaster of the East Pennsboro Township Police Department. I will advise of any reply I receive.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

(Luzerne County)

I'm not sure of the benefit of asking an LEO his opinion...
    Instead of asking their opinion, why not just supply them some facts:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...nal-draft.html

Unless your taking the extra time and effort to determine if said LEO needs to be informed of some facts? ... Unsure because you do not mention how you will follow up if LEO's answers are unfavorable or incompatible with the law.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; July 6th, 2007 at 01:16 PM.

(Perry County)

Exactly. First, I want to find out their knowledge and policies regarding open carry. If they are not on the right track, I will clarify the issue for them. Here is the actual e-mail I sent to him. I hope it went through. First, I had his initials wrong and then I had a delivery failure notice from Yahoo for some reason.

"Hello Chief McMaster, I am a life-long township resident and member of the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association. Our members are conducting a poll of their local law enforcement agencies on the subject of open carry of a handgun (in a holster-not concealed). I was hoping you would answer a few questions regarding the subject. If you do not have the time or do not wish to reply, would you mind perhaps having the Sargent or another senior officer reply?

1. Do you/your officers know that the open carry of a handgun by someone who is not a person prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm is legal?

2. What would you/your officers do if you/they were called to a man with a gun call and found it to simply be someone openly carrying their handgun? For argument sake, assume the person is doing nothing wrong...say simply walking down the street or shopping in a store.

3. What would you/your officers do if you/they were on patrol and saw someone openly carrying their handgun.

4. What is your opinion of someone who openly carries their handgun?

Thank you for your anticipated reply."
    Dave G.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
    E-mail sent to Chief Dennis McMaster of the East Pennsboro Township Police Department. I will advise of any reply I receive.
    I've sent an email to Sheriff Barry J. Jozwiak of Berks County. I will let you know if and when I receive a reply.

rand
    Last edited by dnar; July 6th, 2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: edit name

(Monroe County)

I am new to this site, so "Hi"

I would be very interested to know what they knew of the laws in Monroe (Stroudsburg area).

Ive recently purchased a xd-9 as my first sidearm (very experienced with rifles), and do not yet have my ccw permit, before I attempt OC I think it would be good to have that as 'backup', no?
    Also the xd-9 is a little on the larger side for CC all of the time (I know the benefits of CC from what I have read).

(Perry County)

Thanks Rand!

Ed111PA: just e-mail the questions to the person in charge of whatever agency is responsible for law enforcement duties in the area you live in. In my case, it is a township police department.

P.S. For anyone sending the questions to their local L.E. agency, it does not necessarily have to be the Sheriff of the county you reside in. I am more interested in the agency policing the area in which you live (town, township, borough, city or the county Sheriff...if they police your area).
    Dave G.

(Berks County)

Hey dmg1969,

Other than emailing the Sheriff's office, I've also emailed the Reading Police Department and the Mayor's office.

I've also included in my email my license to carry firearms # and all of my contact information.

Take care,

Rand

(Franklin County)

I've e-mailed the Chambersburg, PA police dept. and the PSP Troop H (which covers my home area). I can't find an e-mail addy for the Franklin County Sheriff's office, so I'll have to print a letter out and mail it.

(Berks County)

Hey dmg1969,

I've just received an email from the Mayor's office, this is what they said:

"Yes it is legal. If the gun is legal and the person carrying it is not a convicted felon that is not permitted to carry a firearm."

They didn't answer any of my other questions though. I'm still waiting for other email replies from the Sheriff's office and the Reading Police Department.

Take care,

Rand

Last edited by dnar; July 10th, 2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: edit text

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast