Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Huskemaw optics

(Armstrong County)

Default Huskemaw optics

Anyone out there used these scopes before on big game. Caught an episode of "The Best of The West" hunting show on the Outdoor channel Sat. nite. Got my attention because of their elevation turret. They only make one model though, the 5x20x50 LR .
    I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

Default Re: Huskemaw optics

Quote Originally Posted by CENTERMAST View Post
    Anyone out there used these scopes before on big game. Caught an episode of "The Best of The West" hunting show on the Outdoor channel Sat. nite. Got my attention because of their elevation turret. They only make one model though, the 5x20x50 LR .
    I want to preface this out by saying that I have NOT used a Huskemaw, so what I am passing on to you is "hear say". I figure besides gunsnglass, and maybe a few others, lots of people haven't even heard of Huskemaw scopes. This information comes from some friends, and some guys on the hide, who are pretty critical, but honest about glass. So take it for what you will.

From what I've heard, the scopes dial quite reliably. When you dial them, they will track how they should, which is NECESSARY for dialing out to distance. What I think is funny is that they make the scope is MOA, and really stress the 1/3 moa, but 1/3 MOA is basically .1 mil measurements. They make it such a big deal about single turn 20 moa turrets. If 5 moa is the big difference between getting to 1,000 yards with a single turn, all you have to so is slap 10 or 20 MOA bases on your rifle and that will add on that extra that you need. Oh well, I guess they realized lots of hunters weren't familiar with mils and just more comfortable with moa. I've heard the scopes have pretty decent glass, but they aren't quite on par with some scopes that cost as much. I've heard they don't quite hold a candle to Leupold Mark 4 scopes, and that's the price range that you're getting into. There's some other lesser known scope brands that have very good glass that will be in the same price range, or cheaper and probably still have better glass. Keep in mind that I have NOT used one, but this comes from some pretty reliable sources.

I'm not the biggest fan of calibrated turrets that may be used in varying conditions. It's just really hard to tell what kind of conditions you may be shooting in on some hunts, and these conditions will effect how the scope dials, and means you'll have to order turrets for other conditions, or take the time to shoot it in different conditions and make adjustments, so you won't be able to just go by the numbers. I just think that it makes calibrated turrets a little less flexible, if that's all you're going to use. How effective the turret will be is related also to the information that you provide. This means you will need a very accurate chronograph reading, proper environmental conditions (elevation, humidity, barometric pressure, etc, etc), correct BC's for the bullet you will be shooting, etc. Deviations in this information and how it relates to the average conditions you shoot and hunt in WILL effect the markings, and if they're correct or not. Leupold and many other manufacturers will also make you custom turret drums that work exactly the same way, and are marked however you would like them. If you're not using handloads, you will have to be shooting VERY consistent match grade hunting ammunition, otherwise the standard deviation in velocity will screw up your turret markings and will change from box to box of ammo. So pretty much more or less, you're stuck with whatever load, bullet, etc that you have the turrets made for.

From what I hear though, the rifle scopes do work. You really have to approach this realistically though, these scopes are not really a "shortcut" to long range hunting. These scopes will NOT make you a better shooter, or give you more kills, they're simply a system. I don't think they're better than someone with a logbook, lots of rounds down range, and a milling type reticle. I think the milling type reticles are more flexible. With any system, you will still have to be able to read your wind properly, which takes a lot of practice to do long range. Calibrated turrets usually work great out to 500 yards, and when you start to get past that, they sometimes get a little finicky. Keep in mind that the turrets are made with a lot of estimated or rounded numbers, and you don't know exactly what their formula was that they used to get these numbers. There are different formulas, and changes in different environmental conditions will change some of these formulas more than others and in different ways, as does whether or not they use a G1 or G7 BC.

Best in the West really pushes these scopes because they're dealers for these guys, there are only 2 in the entire US. I like the hunting channel, but just keep in mind that they have plenty of creative marketing to try to sell their products. The products and paying for advertisements are what keeps them on the air and making money. I've NEVER seen a truly bad review from a hunting magazines, best of the west, etc. I don't want to try to detract from the product, but am just saying that $1,200 is a lot of money for a scope that is pretty specialized, may or may not have good customer service if something ever goes wrong, may not have as good of glass as some of the other manufacturers in the same price tier. Remember that there are NO shortcuts to shooting long range, much less hunting long range. With all the practice that it takes to properly shoot to the ranges that these scopes make their claim to fame at, I think someone can do just as well with other reticles, and good dope. I think you may have more options for magnificatoin, reticles, turrets, and even better warranty with other manufacturers in the same price range. I wouldn't say "don't do it", but just weigh everything out; application of the scope, price, optical quality, reliability, warranty, etc. There's no shortcuts, and some ideas that seem really novel and easy sometimes turn out to take as much work as other systems, they're just presented to look simple; they're not bad, just different. Be careful and hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; April 4th, 2010 at 02:37 AM.