Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Military vs. Self defense training

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    Unless this is a pseudonym, "John Brown" has no association with FIRE Institute.

The Firearms Instruction, Research & Education Institute a.k.a. F.I.R.E. Institute, is a non-profit, tax exempt, corporation, (501(c)(3)) organized under the laws of Pennsylvania in 2003.

-- Chuck
    Was referring to Tony!

(York County)

pennsylvanians come in all flavours.
    some of us are comfortable in our own shoes.
    some need "training" to feel safe.
    some need to call themselves "trainers" to feel important.

(Allegheny County)

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand...................

John

www.3riverstraining.com

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by John A Brown View Post
    Trust me, at this point nobody could care less about your opinions.

John

www.3riverstraining.com
    I care more about his than I do yours because your posts are blatant huckstering for your "school."

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    some need to call themselves "trainers" to feel important.
    In the UK, "trainers" are shoes.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    I think ideally it depends on your goals. What are you actually preparing for? is it that BG that trying to steal your cash or a true SHTF scenario? Or some thing in between? Me personally my self, i want to be prepared for what may come my way. so I'll take any thing and every thing into consideration, toss out what i think is dumb or doesn't work and keep what will keep my ass hole free.

The reason as a civilian i like military style training is simply as the old saying goes a good defense is a good offense. If I come under attack it puts me in a better position if i can over come my enemy and put him into a defensive stance. It's always much easier to attack then to defend (generally).
    This is not a reflection on B.A.'s reasoning or thought process but it serves to illustrate why I can't seem to wrap my head around the "civilian / SHTF scenario". I think it's safe to say that most people interested in preparing for a SHTF scenario seek .mil training vs. self defense training (which is the title of this thread).

But if I am the only person in my family or neighborhood with LSHD training, how do I go about applying what I've learned without others likewise trained? In spite of the commercial, we are not, and never will be, an Army of one.

That's why I keep hammering home in many of these threads the fact that organizing an entire community is the only practical way to survive a large scale SHTF event.

Relative to this thread, maybe we should have defined .mil vs. self defense training before this discussion took place?

When i took the AK101 course by Rockwell tactical one of the things he talked about was when he was still a ranger he was deployed in Iraq his group very rarely got messed with but their sister group always got shot up, he realized after a while because when ever his group went out they showed up like rock stars fearing nothing. The other group showed up slumped low in their hummers tucked in as tight as they could get scared of any thing that went bump.
    This is an example of displaying a profile with "attitude". That kind of a profile is actually useful and supported by studies of felons who watched random video of pedestrians on a city street and they would pick out potential victims and indicate people they would avoid based on their demeanor. It could come in handy in a SHTF scenario as well by giving a potential threat pause as to whether you are an easy mark or not.

None of us (who haven't already) been in a gun fight will know how we'll react, but you'll generally fight how you train so train to be a bad ass.
    I dunno about training to be a bad ass but training to achieve a high degree of skill is obviously the objective.

P.S. I get that the term bad ass is a euphemism for "highly skilled operator".

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    anyway, what we have here folks is another guy that sells training programs actively involved in plugging his own product in a supposedly credible thread. what is this thread, an infomercial?
    Either point out in any of my replies to this thread where it could even be remotely suggested that I was pimping a FIRE Institute course or publicly take back what you wrote.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    I care more about his than I do yours because your posts are blatant huckstering for your "school."
    I haven't been pimping my classes in any way whatsoever in this thread.

If you don't like my comments there is a very simple solution here - don't read them.

John

www.3riverstraining.com

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Come on. There have been numerous times that we have instructors on here get into discussions with us.

Of course they are going to talk about their school. It is what they do.

Tony and Pete will encourage people to attend F.I.R.E. Institute Classes. Not cause they want to make money. Because they know what they offer and believe it to be a good course.

John talks about 3 River Tactical because it is his school. John also offers some of the lowest price classes I have seen anywhere. Yet puts out a lot of info at these classes. And as an instructor, he can relate to things that happen in class that he has seen improvement upon. He is sharing his experience with you in this forum. Just like Tony is.

Jay runs High Speed Low Drag. He has been involved in several discussions on this forum and will bring up what they have observed in classes. I have gotten into good discussions like this on this forum many times before.

As instructors, they have the "hands on" objective view of watching shooters progress in a class. They have learned what works and what don't. And they have decided to try to pass this info on to others. If their schools sucked, or their training was a joke and they didn't teach people anything they didn't already know. Their schools would close down and go away cause no on would attend them anymore. But they seem to be doing pretty well. Despite the high ammo prices, and the economy.

Personally, I'm glad to have their experience and views on a thread like this. Most of these guys have been teaching long enough that they have learned what works and what doesn't. Most of these guys have attended more classes than 5 of us put together have attended.

At a class that I attended that John taught, he told us a couple times during the course. "This is not stuff that I created. This is stuff that was taught to me. It is stuff that others have learned over time works. And I am here to share that info with you if you want to learn it."

That is what training classes are all about.

Tony, Pete, Jay, John. I for one appreciate when you guys take the time to give your input (and sometimes I don't even agree with you ). I trust what you guys have to say way more than someone who comes on here bragging how good they are but has no credentials to back it up. None of you are going to get rich off the classes you teach. And they take a lot of free time for you guys to commit to them. Thank you from someone that appreciates the efforts you guys put forward. I for one will be attending classes in the future at your schools and will do so, feeling like I will get my monies worth before I even show up.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; June 10th, 2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spellilng
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

"This is not stuff that I created. This is stuff that was taught to me. It is stuff that others have learned over time works. And I am here to share that info with you if you want to learn it."

Randy is para-phrasing what I said, but it's close enough to get the point across.

John

www.3riverstraining.com

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast