Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Is there a single sheriff's office that does handgun transfers to 18-20 y/o here?

I purchased my first handgun at 18 but my father had to register it. I also got a hunting permit to carry (openly) for hunting and target from the County Treasurers office. Always carried it in the open on the front seat of my car when going hunting or to the range.
    I didn’t know a Sheriff could do an under 21 handgun registration? If this is true I’ve learned something new today!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Is there a single sheriff's office that does handgun transfers to 18-20 y/o here?

I got my first when I was about 19. Dan Wesson 357. Came with a shoulder holster. Went to a local bar. Paid the bar tender and took my brown bag and went back to work.

A few years later I needed some "gonna have a baby money" and it was sold to an FFL.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post
    yeah, see you in 3 years... learn the law first. google is a wonderful thing
    Seriously?
    - Create new gun owners? People will own one if they want to, do we really need to "create" them?
    - First post, doesn't sound the least bit hinky to you?
    - 18 year olds have more knowledge about how to get information on the internet than any of us old school programmers, he should be giving us answers, he's been considering this for the last 5 years.
    - Doesn't sound like anyone is "gifting" him a gun

my response was in no way out of line...
    Sounds like he knows the law better than you do. If you don't consider telling someone to use google and learn the law, when in fact you were the one that was wrong and looking like a smacked ass, then I guess you are correct that you're not out of line
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Sounds like he knows the law better than you do. If you don't consider telling someone to use google and learn the law, when in fact you were the one that was wrong and looking like a smacked ass, then I guess you are correct that you're not out of line
    you don't think the whole thing sounds fishy?
    Last edited by R.A.D.; September 17th, 2019 at 04:32 PM.
    The chair is against the wall... John has a long mustache...

(Luzerne County)

No I don't. We had another young guy ask the question years ago. He became a regular poster here.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Wyoming County)

No why should I? He's asking something that the law allows for and wondering if there are actually any Sheriff's that abide by the law? How is that fishy?

(Allegheny County)

Didn't sound "fishy" to me either. A tad juvenile, but that would make sense.
    And not to pile on, but I also thought your response was on the dickish side. Nothing over the top, but it was there.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    For the record, the law compels sheriffs to do such transfers, using "Shall....." language, just as with the issuance of LTCFs (and non-resident LTCFs). The reality is it would cost at least a few thousand dollars to get it done legally. Ideally, with a good decision at least one step above the Court of Common Pleas, so as to establish precedence state-wide.

The sad fact is that there are battles on so many fronts regarding gun rights, that a simple "all sheriffs ignore the law" matter is ranked at a very low priority.
    The Exorsist
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PickingPA View Post
    An FFL cannot do a handgun transfer to anyone under 21. But a sheriff can, which is what he’s desperately trying to find. Although PA gun laws permit sheriff’s to transfer guns, they rarely do because the FFL system is robust and readily available.

Finding a sheriff who is:
    A) Willing to do a transfer
    B) Willing to transfer to a person under 21
    C) Willing to risk his career because some Jersey kid has really, really “wanted a Glock 19 for like 5 years”

Yeah.... not happening

Besides, you need to be 21 for a PA LTCF and in Philly you can’t legally carry off your property (OC or CC) unless you have a current LTCF
    You are missing one. Who is going to be on the other side of that transaction? I bet the farm the whole reason that law exists is for parents gifting who also want it transferred or are resident of another state.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

No sir. I remember being his shoes many years ago. This young man chose to go out of his way to research the law and investigate whether any sheriff would do their duty and fulfill the transfer requirement. To me, this demonstrates a desire to understand the law and act responsibly within it (despite the fact that all gun control violates the Constitution, but that's another argument).

Rights are rights and we shouldn't be projecting our own shortcomings onto others who want to find ways to exercise them. This is the same as what the anti-gunners do when they think that all gun owners have anger issues and are 2 seconds away from going on a killing spree; they know that they aren't trustworthy enough to own a gun and think that no one else should either.

A sheriff transfer would still have to conduct a background check which the OP would have to pass in order to get his gun. If he was interested in becoming a criminal, I'm sure there is some street hood rat in philthy that would sell him a stolen gun, but his desire to go about this legally suggests to me that OP likely isn't the criminal type.
    I am not a lawyer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast