Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Gun rights and today’s election

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    I was thinking about that this week...how we need to start countering the Bloomberg pros. We work, we can't show up whenever summoned every time. We need someone who can not only show up, but get groups of us or someone in our place to fight for us.
    Yes.
    A professional 2A lobbyist in Harrisburg 60 days per year.
    A rotation of designated 2A volunteers to orbit the professional.
    And an outer ring of text message 2A volunteers to come when called if possible.

It could work really well and change the status quo in the Capitol.

It's doable and it's affordable.
    All we need is for guys and gals here to be willing to chip in $100 per year, and for those that can to volunteer their time in Harrisburg a few days per year.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

The idea of 100 people walking the halls with t-shirts that have a specific message is designed to simply counter the actions on the Left, and to do so at very low cost.

If you want to "solve the problem" it is far more complex than having a lobbyist. It starts with the fact that Philly & Pittsburgh have such large populations that are democrat strongholds. Add to that, the power of democrat unions and you have overwhelming political power driving the legislative agenda.

Here's an example on the national level:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/09/gun-...-defy-nra.html
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    The idea of 100 people walking the halls with t-shirts that have a specific message is designed to simply counter the actions on the Left, and to do so at very low cost.

If you want to "solve the problem" it is far more complex than having a lobbyist. It starts with the fact that Philly & Pittsburgh have such large populations that are democrat strongholds. Add to that, the power of democrat unions and you have overwhelming political power driving the legislative agenda.

Here's an example on the national level:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/09/gun-...-defy-nra.html
    I'm not seeing anything that indicates that doing an anchor lobbyist surrounded by 2 rings of volunteers is a bad idea.
    Combined with your text message concept and the expansion of your gun shop flier concept I think it would yield real results.
    Certainly there is more that can be done, but I think it would be a very good start and a way to lay the foundation for future concepts.
    Once up and running other concepts could be added on when needed.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I'm not seeing anything that indicates that doing an anchor lobbyist surrounded by 2 rings of volunteers is a bad idea.
    Combined with your text message concept and the expansion of your gun shop flier concept I think it would yield real results.
    Certainly there is more that can be done, but I think it would be a very good start and a way to lay the foundation for future concepts.
    Once up and running other concepts could be added on when needed.
    It's not a bad idea, but honestly, I don't see it as viable. Who would raise this $100k? Who holds the money? What keeps that person from skipping town? If a pro-lobbyist is interested, to whom is s/he accountable? If they suck, how would we know? Who would fire him/her? Who is this lobbyist representing, PAFOA, a bunch of bulletin board members? What leverage does this lobbyist have because s/he is not representing a specific organization with large numbers of paid members in any house rep's district. The only leverage a lobbyist has is "my organization's members got you elected, we'll replace you just as quick".

What power would a $100k lobbyist have in a case like hb2060 where R's were told they needed to support this bill on a "protect woman from abuse" basis or else loose all party money as they head into a tough election year?

In my view, the problem is not the lack of a lobbyist. It is instead the fact that SE PA is solid Democrat and keeps electing gun-grabbers from house reps to Governor. No matter what we do, nothing will change if we don't change that dynamic. I'm not saying that I have the answers, but IMO the correct solution begins with an accurate analysis of the problem. Maybe it is focusing on just one or two key districts in SE PA and demonstrating routinely to bring attention to that rep's gun-grabbing support. That may not be the best idea, but the point is that focusing our attention on the source of the problem (Philly area) is likely what we need to figure out.
    Last edited by longcall911; November 13th, 2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: sp
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234