Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 223 55gr seating depth

As title says.

I have both 55 gr Speer spitzer, and Hornady Zmax. Didnt realize both bullets are actually different lengths until I seated both bullet types. The Speer bullet seats just a wee bit above the charge (I can hear rattling when I shake it), and the Zmax seems to be sitting right on the powder. OAL is the same, both fit in magazine and chamber.

Both bullets are in LC brass. Both are loaded to starting charges (24 grain H4895 according to Speer and HoHodgon's).

What can I expect out of both bullets? Will the deep seated bullet produce too much pressure? Do I have to worry about catastrophic failure?
    Hold the Line...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 223 55gr seating depth

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    As title says.

I have both 55 gr Speer spitzer, and Hornady Zmax. Didnt realize both bullets are actually different lengths until I seated both bullet types. The Speer bullet seats just a wee bit above the charge (I can hear rattling when I shake it), and the Zmax seems to be sitting right on the powder. OAL is the same, both fit in magazine and chamber.

Both bullets are in LC brass. Both are loaded to starting charges (24 grain H4895 according to Speer and HoHodgon's).

What can I expect out of both bullets? Will the deep seated bullet produce too much pressure? Do I have to worry about catastrophic failure?
    What are you shooting them in? I have two approaches to OAL depending on the gun. For non-autoloaders I determine OAL by measuring the spacing to the barrel lands and backing off a few thousandths. For autoloaders I use published OAL numbers found in reloading manuals, etc. In these guns I worry more about magazine and loading functionality than accuracy.

No, a deeper seated bullet will not increase pressure. It usually degrades accuracy. (One might argue that there is slightly less pressure since the bullet gets a bit more of a chance to accelerate prior to engaging the lands.)
    Last edited by tabasco_joe; May 7th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.

(Mercer County)

As title says.

Is your rifle a .223 or 5.56 chamber? I could seat those bullets till they would fall out of the case for my 5.56 chambered rifle, so for me I have to use magazine constraints as my OAL guide. .223 will most likely not do the same, so trial and error using your rifle as a guide will tell you what it needs. You will have absolutely no pressure issues seating those bullets to any reasonable OAL off the lands. Being that either of the 4895's have a relatively high load density for the caliber, near compression or actual compression will be a fact of life with many bullets and 4895 loads, and of absolutely no consequence.

No slam on any of the 4895's (love the stuff for a lot of mil cals I load), I use all ball propellants for 5.56, and especially like them when cranking out blasting ammo in my Dillon 550B. Just to broaden options, you might try H335, AA2460, WW748, and TAC. I like them all, and spark them with CCI 450's.

It's a 5.56 1x8 twist AR, M4 profile barrel. Im thinking of going to ball powder as others shooting 223/556 have said they've had easier reloading using ball instead of tubular (in my powder throws, sometimes I hear the powder crunch as I turn the handle).
    Last edited by spacemanvic; May 7th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
    Hold the Line...

(Mercer County)

It's a 5.56 1x8 twist AR, M4 profile barrel. Im thinking of going to ball powder as others shooting 223/556 have said they've had easier reloading using ball instead of tubular (in my powder throws, sometimes I hear the powder crunch as I turn the handle).
    Crunching seems disconcerting, but all is well... Using IMR data from the late 70's/early 80's when at the same time I was loading a lot of 30/30, there were loads so "crunchy" and compressed using IMR 4064, that the crimp became a feature to keep the bullet seated from so much compression, not from recoil setback. Lots of my 06 loads using IMR 4831 and 180 grain bullets have a nice crunch too.

Drop tubes can help, as can tapping the case once charged, but ball propellant IMO is the way to fly in higher volume semi and full progressive .223 production. Good luck.

Go by the book numbers. Where did you get the load data?

Call the bullet manufacturer, they all have 800 numbers
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

(Allegheny County)

Just keep the OAL in spec and you should be fine. It's right there with the rest of the load data. Are your cases all trimmed to the same length? Brass, even from the same mfg can vary quite a bit. If your not trimming at least sort the brass by length, this will help. Usually seat / crimp within the cannelure of the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland_Shooter View Post
    Go by the book numbers. Where did you get the load data?

Call the bullet manufacturer, they all have 800 numbers
    As in OP, Speer and Hodgons books were referenced for load data. Call bullet manufacturer?
    Hold the Line...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildturk View Post
    Just keep the OAL in spec and you should be fine. It's right there with the rest of the load data. Are your cases all trimmed to the same length? Brass, even from the same mfg can vary quite a bit. If your not trimming at least sort the brass by length, this will help. Usually seat / crimp within the cannelure of the bullet.
    All brass meet 1.750 length (some were 1.76 until I trimmed them). The older Spitzers aren't cannelured, but I made sure to get that with the new bullets (used it as a seating guide).
    Hold the Line...

As in OP, Speer and Hodgons books were referenced for load data. Call bullet manufacturer?
    Yeah, it's free.

I called Speer the other day over a 110g Deep Curl .308 I will run in the 300 BLK. The scared me with a warning inside the box.

I am just starting some experimentation to find some cheaper loads for a 300 BLK as the 220g SMK are 37 per 100 and that's expensive even reloading.

IIRC, I can push the 110g 2,100-2,200 fps. Bad news is the short COAL bashes the lead nose against the feed ramp deforming it. Not gonna be a match round, but it will kill what it hits.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast