Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default More appealing gun shops are more expensive

It seems, judging from both the posts here and from my own experiences, that the more appealing gun shops charge higher prices for the same guns that you could get at the more plain gun shops. For instance, there have both been posts here about how Cabela's and Bass Pro are too expensive with their guns. Both shops are very appealing, they've got lots of character and you see all these animal displays other decorations such as airplanes and you've got indoor ponds and waterfalls and aquariums with fish swimming around and you've got restaurants in the stores, you name it. And, although you can sometimes get good deals at those stores usually they were not with guns. From my experience with Cabela's they are overpriced with guns but you can get good prices for ammo and other such supplies. Anybody familiar with NJ gun shops there used to be a shop called Ray's Sport Shop. They closed down years ago but it was a very appealing store to go to and the place definitely had character. They had lots of decorations and they had an indoor shooting range and lots of other fun stuff. Needless to say, Ray's was not the place to buy a gun unless you wanted to pay extra. If you saw a gun for sale at Ray's you could find that same gun for sale at other gun shops for less. One of the gun shops with the lowest prices I've seen was a gun shop called Meltzers which was also located in NJ which like Ray's is now shut down but they had among the best prices for guns that I've seen. They were a nice shop but they didn't have all the decorations and pizzazz and character of Ray's or Bass Pro or Cabela's. Even The Heritage Guild in Easton usually has better gun prices. The Heritage Guild is also a nice gun shop but doesn't have the appeal of the other shops I mentioned and at The Heritage Guild you will often find better gun prices than at Cabela's. Needless to say, in this day and age I rarely ever buy guns at gun shops I usually buy over the internet or from the company directly since that's usually how you will get the best price and for that I must say Cabela's is good. Cabala's only charges a $25 transfer fee as opposed to The Heritage Guild which charges around $60 but I will say this much, the more plain a gun shop usually the better prices they will have for guns.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: More appealing gun shops are more expensive

The most appealing gun shop for me is the one with knowledgable staff that sells the gun I want at a fair price.
    In my area there are several, I'm not at all impressed by adult entertainment centers like Bass.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    The most appealing gun shop for me is the one with knowledgable staff that sells the gun I want at a fair price.
    In my area there are several, I'm not at all impressed by adult entertainment centers like Bass.
    Ditto.

I 'get' how one could say Cabela's or BassPro are more "appealing"... But they're not to me.

First and foremost that it takes FOREVER to buy a gun there (I believe on purpose - they WANT to make you wait an hour or two to 'shop').

Secondly, counter staff varies WILDLY in their knowledge level, tending toward the "not so much". If I pay a bit more for anything, it'll be that.

I'll take a grubby hole in the wall that knows their shit and gives good service over "Hey, cool aquarium" any day.
    DGAF

(Philadelphia County)

I have never been to Bass Pro,do they have a similar firearms purchase process to Cabelas?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Berks County)

Bars that look like dives are usually cheaper to drink at too.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Elk County)

Look up "Overhead and Administration costs."

Higher overhead = higher prices.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Look up "Overhead and Administration costs."

Higher overhead = higher prices.

Noah
    We used to buy groceries at Pechin's in Dunbar. The prices were less than other stores' sale prices. It was a hodgepodge of old industrial buildings with uneven concrete floors and stained ceiling tiles. The shopping carts were castoffs from defunct chains, the wheels had flat spots and usually pulled to one side. Instead of stocking shelves, they'd just cut the tops off of the cartons. The produce section was built over a stream, and you could see the water through cracks in the plank floor. They had other cinder block buildings too, like a redneck mall - sporting goods, hardware, a restaurant and bakery. The bathrooms would look at home in a dive bar. Shopping there was an adventure. They spent NOTHING on overhead, but people would come from out of state and leave with multiple carts heaped with groceries. I would shop at a gun store like that.

(Allegheny County)

All that fake character puts me off. It's like the sections of amusement parks that try to emulate foreign countries.

Just don't dare walk in without a real tree jacket or cap, they will spot you as an amateur at the door.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaleDriver View Post
    All that fake character puts me off. It's like the sections of amusement parks that try to emulate foreign countries.

Just don't dare walk in without a real tree jacket or cap, they will spot you as an amateur at the door.
    When I went to Cabelas it reminded me of the old restaurant Bugaboo Creek with all the fake animals and such.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    We used to buy groceries at Pechin's in Dunbar. The prices were less than other stores' sale prices. It was a hodgepodge of old industrial buildings with uneven concrete floors and stained ceiling tiles. The shopping carts were castoffs from defunct chains, the wheels had flat spots and usually pulled to one side. Instead of stocking shelves, they'd just cut the tops off of the cartons. The produce section was built over a stream, and you could see the water through cracks in the plank floor. They had other cinder block buildings too, like a redneck mall - sporting goods, hardware, a restaurant and bakery. The bathrooms would look at home in a dive bar. Shopping there was an adventure. They spent NOTHING on overhead, but people would come from out of state and leave with multiple carts heaped with groceries. I would shop at a gun store like that.
    HELL SOME OF THE FLOORS WERE fu@ken dirt... loved that place ....the restaurant at the end of the lot had a burgher ,fries and a drink for like a $1

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast