Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default SE PA Club with range for pistol action shooting?

I like to shoot IDPA and I’m thinking of getting into USPSA too. I’m looking for a club that allows action shooting practice.

I don’t think that I am asking for anything crazy here, just drawing from a holster, no mandatory time delay between shots, and no magazine limit. I would setup a couple targets and practice transitioning from one to another. It would be great if I could fire while moving too (because I suck at that). I’m not talking about running or anything, just that slow forward, backward, or cross-step walk that you often have to do while shooting IDPA.

I’d be willing to take classes and/or pass a test to demonstrate that I can do action shooting safely, as long as it can be done in a reasonable amount of time. I know of a local club that allows this type of shooting, but it actually has a lottery to sign up for classes, so it could take 2 years if you aren’t lucky.

I live in West Chester, PA (close to Malvern/Frazer). Hopefully, I can find a club within a 40 minute drive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: SE PA Club with range for pistol action shooting?

South Jersey Shooting Club

(Chester County)

New Holland. It's not a bad drive.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter View Post
    I like to shoot IDPA and I’m thinking of getting into USPSA too. I’m looking for a club that allows action shooting practice.

I don’t think that I am asking for anything crazy here, just drawing from a holster, no mandatory time delay between shots, and no magazine limit. I would setup a couple targets and practice transitioning from one to another. It would be great if I could fire while moving too (because I suck at that). I’m not talking about running or anything, just that slow forward, backward, or cross-step walk that you often have to do while shooting IDPA.

I’d be willing to take classes and/or pass a test to demonstrate that I can do action shooting safely, as long as it can be done in a reasonable amount of time. I know of a local club that allows this type of shooting, but it actually has a lottery to sign up for classes, so it could take 2 years if you aren’t lucky.

I live in West Chester, PA (close to Malvern/Frazer). Hopefully, I can find a club within a 40 minute drive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

check out Lower Providence Rod and Gun LPRGC.org once you get qualified with Action Pistol and Holster there is no limits between rounds or holstering your sidearm. Also the club does not put limits on the amount of ammo in a mag.

(Montgomery County)

I too would mention Lower Providence. Its just up Rt422 by the Oaks exit.
    Check thir website http://www.lprgc.org to see the IDPA schedule, it is fairly often I think.

Plus there is a WallyWorld right down the street for all your ammo needs

(Chester County)

When I looked into it at LPRGC, there were a bunch of classes, costing several hundreds of dollars (and a significant time commitment) to attain that qualification. I'm told the process changed recently, but look into that before thinking you can just join and start training there for actual SD situations.

You can shoot in the many events they host without that qualification, because you'll have someone right next to you ensuring you're being safe.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolff View Post
    When I looked into it at LPRGC, there were a bunch of classes, costing several hundreds of dollars (and a significant time commitment) to attain that qualification. I'm told the process changed recently, but look into that before thinking you can just join and start training there for actual SD situations.

You can shoot in the many events they host without that qualification, because you'll have someone right next to you ensuring you're being safe.

Wolff, I've seen these statements made in other threads in the past.

Yes it is true that you must take certain courses, which will cost you time and money, but you are not required to take all those courses at LPRGC. That rule was changed late last year in response to member requests.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Wolff, I've seen these statements made in other threads in the past.

Yes it is true that you must take certain courses, which will cost you time and money, but you are not required to take all those courses at LPRGC. That rule was changed late last year in response to member requests.
    Thanks for the update!