Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: AK-47 -or- M4 carbine?

The AR-15

The AR-15 series of rifles are the ideal firearms for the purpose at hand. Having been around for several decades and having seen considerable combat and widespread use, the AR-15 has evolved into a reliable, robust, and accurate weapon. It has managed to function under all types of conditions or been improved to do so. The following describe a few of the areas where the AR-15 excels.

Flexibility

The AR-15 is perhaps the most flexible firearm ever developed; in seconds, a carbine can be switched over to a long-range rifle by swapping upper receivers. With options available for almost every part of the rifle, a rifle can be custom tailored to an individuals specific needs and desires.

Accuracy

Today’s AR-15’s are capable of providing MOA accuracy or better. The AR-15 now dominates service rifle matches.

Reliability

Current AR-15 rifles are extremely reliable and suffer none of the problems experienced at its inception. Through advanced engineering and manufacturing the AR-15 has evolved into a dependable firearm as capable as any other.

Proven Performance

As one of the most widely issued military arms in history, the AR-15 series has proven itself though nearly 4 decades of military service. It has been used by most of the armies in the free world, and is current issue for a large number of these.

Maintenance

The AR-15 quickly disassembles into its major parts without the need for tools. At this point it can be easily cleaned and inspected, and parts replaced.

Parts Availability

The long-term success of the AR-15 means that parts are readily available worldwide and relatively easy to come by. These parts are interchangeable with other rifles. There is no other rifle in existence with more available parts than the AR-15.

(Montgomery County)

I personally am an AK fan, but that is because it works for the type of shooting I do. I prefer doing CQB type shooting and the shorter length of pull works better, and I am soon going to be getting the permit to turn a Draco pistol into an SBR.

Now that I got my opinion out of the way here we go. Don't bother listening to all the flaming that will come because of that question.

If you want to shoot accurately at moderate to long range then AR hands down. AR's are extremely versitle, you can get one lower and have a dedicated upper for distance work, and then another upper dedicated to quick short range engagements. With that you can attach anything your heart desires to it. I find this platform is also easier to clear malfunctions and get back into the fight for novice shooters.

If you are not concerned about putting every shot in the same hole but rather have a set up that will put something down within close to medium range and be combat accurate (man size targets at 300 yds) and will keep running no matter what you do. AK.

I am not saying AR's are not reliable, as they have made leaps and bounds in that department. But I would argue in a torture test an AK will outlast an AR.

I am prior military from the current conflicts going on in the world and have used both in real world combat situations, both served me fine in accomplishing my mission and getting me back home safe and eliminating bad guys. Both platforms are great assualt style rifles but are suited to different shooting styles

the good news is you cant go wrong with either rifle

i like the 556 round for targets. many more options in the config of your rifle with an ar platform and they are readily available from hundreds of sources and one of the best being other folks upgrading/changing the configs of the a r's they have. many accessories floating around on the used market.

just check e bay, our classifieds ect.

comparatively one is very limited as to what can be done with the a k platform.

i have an ak, and an ar. i am a long time owner of the ak and a brand newbie with the ar and i am already planning on building my own a r. the maadi is what it is. a great battle rifle. that i dont feel suits the general " sport shooting" game for ME

its lots of fun but it is costlier to feed and bumps back considerably more then an a r in 556

i think i found the best battle rifle for all around punch in my sig 556. i like the affordability of 556 ammo, the ballistics of the cartridge and the sig is a bit beefier then the a r so its easier to shoot lots of rounds. not many after market options availabe as to the whole config though.

just my 2 cents.

try to get out and shoot a few different rifles and pick what feels best
    in the end its all that matters, as wiser minds then mine have said already.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Quote Originally Posted by slipknotsteve View Post
    I go upstate a lot 115 acre of land do alot of distance Target shooting and I wanna pick up a new toy
    Do not get an AK, not even an Arsenal with a scope, if you want to distance target shoot. There are AR uppers that wll print a six inch group out to 500 yards. You will not get that out of any AK.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Cumberland County)

Get which ever one you like. AK's can be fairly accurate, but the AR is the more accurate of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by meb351 View Post
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=397

I own this. After speaking with gunsmiths they all say the RRA is the best made AR 15. They start at $1200. It out shoots both of my friends Bushmasters and Colts respectively. Mine is pretty decked out I also have the Dominator sight rial. That means it comes EOTech ready.

Just my 2 cents.
    Better than BCM, Noveski, LMT, Armalite, or Colt?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Chester County)

WARNING

Trolling: Instigation

You could always buy a PWS and have the best of both. SRTs all over Florida have been adding more and more of them to their arsenals.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Montgomery County)

I would lean towards an AR if you shoot more distance, AK's can be accurate but could never compete accuracy wise with an AR. However, may I suggest looking into platforms such as the DPMS LR .308, you can get a fairly decent set up for about the same price as any other .223 AR, but get a round with a little more "oomph". Just another suggestion.

(Lawrence County)

People talk about the ak accuracy but on sons of guns next week he is building a 1k yard AK! prolly gonna be expensive as hell tho.
    I't ain't braggin if you can do it !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast