Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default un-scientific ammo testing. 9mm Hydra-shocks vs. Glasser silver safety slugs.

Today I decided to put my current carry ammo (9mm federal low recoil hydrashocks) against (9mm glasser silver safety slugs) using phone books as a target.

I know phone books aren't the best thing to test bullets but it's what I had on hand.

The shots were taken with a Kel-Tec P-11 at a distance of exactly, precisely, about arms length. Both rounds cleared the first phone book leaving similar wounds and entered the second. The Hydra-shock created damage to page 313, while the safety slug damaged to page 533. Once into the second phone book the glasser slug's wound became larger.

Well,

Well, neither round worked as advertised (because bad guys aren't made of paper) but both created a large wound cavity, with the glasser slug both penetrating deeper, and creating a larger wound.

The rim of the hydra shocks hollow point folded inward in 2 places and opened up in a 3rd place leaving the majority of the bullet behind the hollow point slightly deformed.

The Glasser slug was left "all jacked up" for lack of a better term the base of the round is still perfectly round, but the pellets failed to exit. Instead the plastic ball was deformed and pushed into the jacket the jacket is peeled back in several places.

Conclusions:

I wouldn't want to be shot with either one.

Despite being lighter (80gr vs the Hydra shocks 135 gr.) the safety slug messed some shit up and left an impressive wound. The hydra shock remained more intact, but surprisingly this didn't help it penetrate better. I know this isn't scientific by any means, but bottom line is....If we're considering damage alone, the safety slug holds it's own.

against phone book weilding maniacs
    Last edited by P-11 shooter; June 1st, 2008 at 06:16 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: un-scientific ammo testing. 9mm Hydra-shocks vs. Glasser silver safety slugs.

Try it again with some Hydra Shocks that aren't "low recoil". Those are the bunny fart loads.

Lycanrequestthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Butler County)

Default Re: un-scientific ammo testing. 9mm Hydra-shocks vs. Glasser silver safety slugs.

I'll have to go get some. and some more phone books.

I got some 147gr. golden sabers but never carry them.

P-11should'veusedahi-pointSHOOTER

(Monroe County)

aren't the phone books supposed to be wet?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Try it again with some Hydra Shocks that aren't "low recoil". Those are the bunny fart loads.

Lycanrequestthrope
    I agree.. low recoil means low velocity, which means low energy. ...which is why they dont expand.

It takes a well designed bullet with the proper lead alloy and jacket design to "open" at bunny fart load levels.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Butler County)

I don't know what they're supposed to be as I've never done any type of ammo testing before. But that is a good idea as it would better simulate a target.

And if t-shirt contests have taught me anything it's

GOOD

BETTER

Shame the Glaser failed.

It's supposed to fragment explosively. It's specifically NOT supposed to penetrate deeply through hard objects like that. That's the "safety" part of the name.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Butler County)

I'm not sure I'd call it a fail yet. As I still have other things I want to shoot with them and

Priority#1. Is to stop a threat upon your life.

Priority#2. Is to try to be a safe projectile if the shot dosn't go well.

I'm now very confident that (despite what the internet would have you believe) the glasser slug (given it's 100% reliable in your gun) should be more than adequate for self defense. I have to shoot it into some softer targets to see, but I would bet my life on them taking down an attacker easily.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    Shame the Glaser failed.

It's supposed to fragment explosively. It's specifically NOT supposed to penetrate deeply through hard objects like that. That's the "safety" part of the name.
    Maybe I'll shoot one into a 2x4 and see what happens

(Delaware County)

Soak the phone books at least overnight in water to cover. Take them to the range in a picnic cooler full of water. Remove from cooler, stack and shoot ASAP so they have as little time as possible to drain. Report again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast