Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default Ruger Vaquero in .44-40 vs. .45 LC "Urgent!"

My desire has been to pick up a 1911 with a 5" barrel to enjoy shooting (and carrying if size does not prove to be an issue).

However, an offer has come up and I need to act fast if I am to get it.

A Ruger New Vaquero SS chambered in .44-40 has come available for a great price.

It looks like little to no wear - may have been a safe queen.

I originally was watching for one chambered in .45 Long Colt.

In your experiences, would the .44-40 be a better/equal buy regarding caliber or should I hold for a .45 Long Colt?

The revolver is beautiful so it is not an issue of the gun itself but the chamber itself.

I know .44-40 was an original caliber that I believe came out in 1873 when .45 LC and .45-70 Government did.

From the Lyman Reloading Manuel it appears the velocities are about the same.

Cartridges appear maybe a tad cheaper for the .44-40.

So the quick question is - comparing the two calibers - Should I "take the plunge (Ed Norton)" with the .44-40?

This decision must be made by tomorrow or I may lose the opportunity.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Thanks and the Lord's blessings!!

Pistol Packin Preacher

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Ruger Vaquero in .44-40 vs. .45 LC "Urgent!"

If it is a .44-40 it is not a New Model, Ruger dropped that chambering when they started making the new model. That being said the .44-40 is a great cartridge some folks will tell you it is more challenging to reload than .45 Colt due to the slight bottleneck however I've had good success with both .44-40 and .38-40. Good luck.

If you are a reloader than ammunition availability would not be an issue. If you are a reloader the edge for ease of reloading would go to the .45 Colt, since it is a straight-walled case and could use carbide dies. The .44-40 has a taper to it, so no carbide and not as easy.

If you are using factory ammo, .45 Colt is probably more available, although with the advent and popularity of CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) it is much easier to find .44-40 now than it was only 5 years ago.

I'd say that it's pretty much a toss-up, except in the instance above regarding reloading. If it is truly a great buy on the gun, I wouldn't let the caliber prevent me from buying.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Elk County)

IMO, 45 Colt would be the choice especially since you are also buying a 1911. If you reload, you could shoot many of the bullets loaded in the 45 ACP cartridge in the 45 Colt cartridge. Most modern 45 Colt cylinder chamber throats are sized betw. .451 and .453, and 45 ACP is .452 so interchangeability works in this case.

Example: I load the same 230 gr FMJ bullets in both 45 ACP and 45 Colt for plinking and get excellent accuracy in my Uberti, Cimarron (Uberti), and USFA single actions. I get so-so accuracy in my 1970s-vintage S&W 25-5 with .457 throats.

If you don't reload, it's a wash between 44-40 and 45 Colt. In these parts the cost of factory ammo is about the same, $32 to $35 for 50.

Hope this helps,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    IMO, 45 Colt would be the choice especially since you are also buying a 1911. If you reload, you could shoot many of the bullets loaded in the 45 ACP cartridge in the 45 Colt cartridge. Most modern 45 Colt cylinder chamber throats are sized betw. .451 and .453, and 45 ACP is .452 so interchangeability works in this case.

Example: I load the same 230 gr FMJ bullets in both 45 ACP and 45 Colt for plinking and get excellent accuracy in my Uberti, Cimarron (Uberti), and USFA single actions. I get so-so accuracy in my 1970s-vintage S&W 25-5 with .457 throats.

If you don't reload, it's a wash between 44-40 and 45 Colt. In these parts the cost of factory ammo is about the same, $32 to $35 for 50.

Hope this helps,

Noah
    I do the same thing in reloades only in 200g cast
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Lycoming County)

WOW!

Great information!

This is why I presnt these questions to you guys - you come up with points I either was not aware of or I would not consider.

I did not know the .44-40 was a necked/tapered cartridge.
    I have seen a lot of cartridges, yet no .44-40.

My wife and I have all but a scale to reload and so we are about set.

With that in mind I never thought about the size differences and how the .45 ACP and .45 LC are close enough to share tops.

Hawkeye54 - Thanks for the info about Ruger not making the .44-40 now.
    I have heard people say the "New" Ruger Vaquero is not as heavy duty as the "Old" Ruger Vaquero.
    If this is true would this model be of a little heavier grade?

How is the recoil of a .44-40 versus other larger caliber firearms?
    My wife shoots 9 MM and even .38 Spcl but she does not like .357 Mag.

One other question - I have been debating over what scale to get started with. We like the electronic so we have considered them. We have been looking at the RCBS Chargemaster 1500.

A) Would you recommend either the slide scale over the electronic or vice versa? This being whether ease of operation or accuracy.

B) If you like the electronic and trust them are there any you like better (or even worse for that matter)?

I have been debating this issue for months wanting to make the right decision.
    I did not really know about the forum and never thought of the experience that sits here.

Thanks again everybody!!

The Lord's blessings!!

Pistol Packin Preacher

(Perry County)

While aI agree with everything said above, there is one more point to consider. If you are going to get a rifle in the same caliber you might relook at the 44-40. Colt and Winchester made guns for both and while rifles are chambered in .45 Colt today they weren't in the old days. The slight bottleneck makes the 44-40 a better rifle caliber than .45 Colt, in my opinion. I have a Marlin 94 in ,45 and get some gas blow back into my face from it. The strait walled case just doesn't seem to seal as well as the bottle necked .44-50 (which is also quite thin). I also have the old model Vaqueros in .45 Colt and they are big and stout. I've handled and shot the New model but only in .38. I really wish I'd gotten the New model, as they are a more "perfect Packin" size. Still the old model can handle really heavy hunting loads, even heavy pig rounds, although they are not fun to shoot.

I hope you get a good gun and enjoy it greatly.

As to the scale the Charge-master is more of rifle tool than handguns. I generally throw my handgun charges in the Dillon 550, and only weigh the precision rifle ammo. So I use a small electronic scale about the size of a pack of cigarettes only slimmer. I have the beam scale but haven't used it for a few years. Once I get the powder measure set I'm good to go with only the occasion check to see that nothing has changed. If I were a bulls-eye shooter that might change but for action shooting ball powder from a good measure is fine.

(Lycoming County)

Thanks everyone!

I am going to try to hold off and wait on a .45 LC.

But if that .44-40 still sits in the case this Saturday - ALL BETS ARE OFF!

I love the idea of having the original calibers (.45 LC, .44-40, and .45-70).

And $375 for a mint Vaquero .44-40 (plus holster minus belt) is hard to pass.

The Lord's blessings!

Pistol Packin Preacher

(Beaver County)

I own a 1993 Ruger Vaquero .45 and I love it. Now on reloading I'm not talented enough to do my own so I buy factory ammo and .45 Colt isn't that easy to find ( at one time I went 4 months trying to find it) and a box of 50 runs around $30.00 but I still like " packin that hogleg " on my hip ( yes I OC my Ruger in a cowboy rig)

(Lycoming County)

As a follow up to this thread I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and thoughts.

Due to cost and availability of ammo, for the moment, I have backed away and I am still watching out for a .45 LC revolver.

It was still there as of this past Saturday.

I have a huge desire for a 1911, but if I can put that on hold I can pick up the .44-40 Vaquero.

Just knowing you have a firearm in one of the three original metallic cartridge calibers is an awesome thing!

Don't you all agree?

Thanks again and the Lord's wonderful blessings!

Pistol Packin Preacher