Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Shipping

(Delaware County)

Default Rifle Shipping

I'm just curious. Why is there such adversity to shipping a rifle to a Gun Shop/ FFL. The intention is to complete the transaction legally. If everything is done legally and the buyer recieves payment in full prior to shipping. The buyer pays shipping cost i don't see the risk. So many sellers seem apprehensive. Its just an observation not really a question.
    Last edited by Joeyice; September 5th, 2017 at 08:24 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Rifle Shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyice View Post
    I'm just curious. What is the adversity to shipping a rifle to an FFL provided everything is done legally. If the buyer pays shipping cost i don't see the issue.
    Not to be a wise @$$, but this is a case where grammar is important to understanding the question. Are you asking why people don't want to ship (averse), or why it is difficult to ship (adverse)?

averse
    : having an active feeling of repugnance, dislike, or distaste —usually used with to •She was not averse to taking chances. •He seems to be averse to strenuous exercise. —commonly used in compounds both with and without a hyphen •a conservative risk-averse investor •a crowd averse teen

adverse

: acting against or in a contrary direction
    : hostile •hindered by adverse winds
    a
    : opposed to one's interests •an adverse verdict •heard testimony adverse to their position; especially
    : unfavorable •adverse criticism
    b
    : causing harm
    : harmful •adverse drug effects

(Bucks County)

It can be a pain in the ass to:
    find a box,
    Package it so it arrives in the same condition,
    check out the FFL to make sure it's legit,
    Estimate shipping costs
    Does FFL accept shipment from non FFL?

I'm probably leaving something out

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Not to be a wise @$$, but this is a case where grammar is important to understanding the question. Are you asking why people don't want to ship (averse), or why it is difficult to ship (adverse)?

averse
    : having an active feeling of repugnance, dislike, or distaste —usually used with to •She was not averse to taking chances. •He seems to be averse to strenuous exercise. —commonly used in compounds both with and without a hyphen •a conservative risk-averse investor •a crowd averse teen

adverse

: acting against or in a contrary direction
    : hostile •hindered by adverse winds
    a
    : opposed to one's interests •an adverse verdict •heard testimony adverse to their position; especially
    : unfavorable •adverse criticism
    b
    : causing harm
    : harmful •adverse drug effects
    Sorry about the "grammer" kind of posted in haste and frustration over a rifle where the guy didn't want to ship and tryed to jack the price up..

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyice View Post
    Sorry about the "grammer" kind of posted in haste and frustration over a rifle where the guy didn't want to ship and tryed to jack the price up..
    I rarely will ship a rifle. It's a pain in the ass, for the reasons above.

Then what happens if he, or the FFL, damage it during examination? Or just changes his mind after seeing it, and wants his money back? Much easier to do a FTF transaction.

(Armstrong County)

I've shipped rifles about half a dozen times (I do not have an FFL). I did not find the process painful or any harder than shipping any other package.

Find a box that you want to ship it in. Preferably one that doesn't have gun stuff written all over it but one that does will work.

Find out what dealer the buyer wants it shipped to.

Call that dealer (I like to double check how legit it is by googling the FFL and seeing if the phone number provided by the buyer matches the one found online). Ask FFL if they will accept a long arm from a non-licensee. Most will.

If dealer says yes... Package up the rifle in said box and go onto USPS online and input the dimension and weight, to get an qoute. I usually add a couple bucks to be safe.

Collect monies from buyer

Go to local USPS office, with packaged long arm, all taped up and ready to go (they will not inspect it, so you will just waste their time of you tape it in front of them, and they will piss off the clerks)

Tell them you are shipping a rifle/long arm to a license and you are set.

(Allegheny County)

"Find a box".
    Seems a simple task.

Go ahead, find one. Good luck.
    I paid $12.00 for a box at the UPS Store and it wasn't really a good choice. Cardboard was too thin and it was too big overall.
    I was going to return it, but lost the receipt. Just lost $12 on the sale before it even shipped.

I had to make a box. Took almost a friggin' hour to make a box, get it all wrapped, and boxed SECURELY. I could have made a box and tossed it in, but I wanted to be sure it arrived in perfect condition.

All in all, the time I spent seeking and making a box, then going to the post office, far exceeded the price I had tacked on for doing it.

I'd do it again, but figure on paying me for my effort.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Armstrong County)

Maybe it's the inner hoarder in me, but whenever I get a new firearm, I don't throw the box away.

Not necessarily for shipping purposes but also for resale value. Come to fine out that having an original box and paperwork on a firearm plays a huge factor in trade in value..... Typically more than the condition of the actual firearm.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Maybe it's the inner hoarder in me, but whenever I get a new firearm, I don't throw the box away.

Not necessarily for shipping purposes but also for resale value. Come to fine out that having an original box and paperwork on a firearm plays a huge factor in trade in value..... Typically more than the condition of the actual firearm.
    Smart man , I also save the boxes . Adds to the value if you sell !

(Allegheny County)

I save the boxes of the ones that were shipped to me now that I know what a PITA it is to find a suitable box. LOL
    I buy most of my guns in parking lots though, so there's usually no box.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast