Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ATF Home Visit

(Bucks County)

Default Re: ATF Home Visit

That would rule out a B, wouldn't it...
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Must be a dangerous job if two need to come out. Well, they are dealing with guns, so.....

The 8 or B thing sounds contrived. Most serial numbers have assigned spaces. For example, a make and model having a serial B147322 is not going to have the B in another location in the serial. So what looks like either a 8147322 or a B147322 is pretty much self explanatory.

One thing I can think of is they have to consider the B on the gun might have been altered to look like an 8, which would justify investigation, since that space should be a letter.
    Or they're just flat out lying, which is far more likely.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Erie County)

Dont trust the po po.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    You would be surprised at how fast this can happen.

Had an FBI agent and a local LEO show up at a business I managed. While I was standing there finishing my paperwork for the shift I just completed, FBI asked if I had been to the bank, yet. I said, in about 45 minutes I'll be there, why?

Bank had been robbed and they wanted to know if perhaps I had been there and witnessed anything unusual.

That was NOT the reason why they were there!

The person whom robbed the bank looked like me, and the teller robbed, mentioned it. This wasn't apparent to me until I saw the bank photo of the perp the next day in the newspaper, and I was off that day (Friday) to go skiing. Glad the robbery took place when I was at work.

Well, by my demeanor during their visit, they concluded I was not the perp, but never told me I was a suspect.
    LEO knocking on your door is SO unlikely to be for your benefit that it is reasonable to assume they are never there for your benefit, and react accordingly.

(Bucks County)

Yes. A citizen has no duty to assist police with any knowledge they may have. Any ghetto resident knows that...only they call it not finking. Or just not talk to Po Po. That works out real well for reducing crime in the neighborhood. Then the cops are useless and are told so. Way to go. As ye sew, so shall ye reap.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    You would be surprised at how fast this can happen.

Back when I was still in school a friend and I were on lunch break and decided to check out some of the second hand shops downtown. We stopped in one and talked to the guy while looking at the stuff, he had some guns and a lot of other stuff. After about 20 minutes we went back tot he car and stopped at the sign on Water Street & King. As we were waiting to turn, a police cruiser turned left across us and the cop stared us down. We made our left onto King and got into the far right lane to turn right onto South Prince.

While waiting for the light, a cruiser pulled up behind us, one pulled up beside, and another pulled up beside him. The light changed and all of us made the right hand turn, even though there was only one turn lane. Just that quick, all 3 cruisers lit us up. We pulled over and I got my documents in order. Cop asked for them and then said that the reason we got pulled over was because my inspection sticker looked funny. Well that was expected since my windshield had been shot out the week before and the sticker was on a square piece of glass in the corner. I explained what happened, and they asked where we were and where we were going ran our information and then just let us go.

It wasn't until that afternoon that I pieced together why we got stopped that way. A woman had been murdered the night before and the general description was white male in a brown car. City cops were essentially sweeping the area for any cars with drivers that matched that description. It wasn't until a couple years later that I learned from a newspaper article that the store we spent time was a police front for buying stolen goods and gathering information about those selling it.

I'm sure the police here will say that the reason for the stop was for the inspection sticker on the glass, but does it really take 3 cops to pull someone over for a simple sticker infraction? Nope, it doesn't, but it seems there were three cops in close proximity shortly after we left that store. Another interesting aspect was hat I was dating a girl that lived on the same street as the murdered woman. Had the police actually searched the car they would have found a hunting knife I kept in the glove box and my school books in the trunk in a wooden crate labeled "Detonating Fuses".
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueContact125 View Post
    I just had this happen to me.
    Just saw this thread... WTF?

Anyway, “JAKIII passed away last year... good day.”

(Westmoreland County)

Lots of interesting responses here.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    . . . It wasn't until that afternoon that I pieced together why we got stopped that way. A woman had been murdered the night before and the general description was white male in a brown car. City cops were essentially sweeping the area for any cars with drivers that matched that description.
    All you white guys look alike.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Elk County)

I didnt get a visit, but a phone call from an ATF agent asking about a particular Glock 19 I had sold to a dealer, and did I recall who the dealer was and could I let him know the s/n for an investigation? I told him I own a number of G19 pistols, and I sold several as I bought them used, fired them, and sold the ones that had substandard trigger pulls and accuracy. "Oh yeah, the PSP gave us a list of the G19 pistols you've bought; that's how we found you. We're only interested in this one pistol." I told him that from what he said, he knows the s/n already, and if he wants the info as to the dealer to whom I sold it, save me the time looking up the guns I sold and tell me the particular s/n and I'll get back to him later tonight after I check my records and confirm the s/n with the dealer to whom I sold it. So he read it off, and said, "Just text me whenever, we're on my work cell."

So I checked my records, called the dealer to whom I sold it, he confirmed it and sent me a copy of the purchase receipt as I couldn't find it directly due to a change in filing systems. I told the dealer why I was calling, and to expect a call from the Pgh office. I texted the agent that evening with tmy dealer's contact info, and he said thanks and sorry for the bother. That was it, but my dealer called the next day or two and said the agent wanted to know to whom the pistol was resold. The dealer gave him the info and asked what was up. The agent said the weapon was taken off the SO of the person to whom it was sold, and the SO was prohibited. PSP couldn't yet tell the ATF to whom the gun had been sold because their records weren't up to date; the purchase had been only been a short while ago. The ATF was trying to determine if the buyer did a straw buy, or if the SO just took it.

The dealer told the agent that to the best of his recollection the buyer was alone at the gun show when the pistol was purchased, and that the buyer was not accompanied, and had been shopping around and coming back comparing a few different guns before settling on what used to be my G19. No one else had asked to see that particular pistol the day the buyer shopped hard and looked at a few different guns before buying that one. We never heard what happened after that.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; January 4th, 2020 at 11:16 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast