Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Are There Custom Magazines for S&W Model 41?

Earlier this year my father bought a new Smith & Wesson Model 41. It came with two magazines and he bought two more.

Now he is an experienced shooter and knows what he is doing. But with some of the magazines he gets jams, failure to feeds, stove piping, etc. The other magazines work fine shot after shot after shot.

We talked to a gunsmith and he said that used to be a problem with some older models, and the solution was to disassemble the magazine, insert a 1/32" shim in the bottom, and you'd be good to go. But the magazines produced by S&W for that gun today are sealed and you can't work on them.

Does any company make custom mags for the Model 41, like Wilson Combat does for 1911s? Or is S&W the only source for magazines?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Are There Custom Magazines for S&W Model 41?

Neither Triple K or Mec Gar make them AFAIK.

Sounds like some polishing may be in order on the feed ramp.

I took a 41 in on trade a few years back and it came with a half dozen mags and they all worked fine. The gun was pretty decked out as the guy used it for some sort of matches, it was 100% reliable with good ammo.

Midwest has a section to search for magazines by gun model.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Midwest has a section to search for magazines by gun model.

Midwest ..... ???? ..... Midwest Guns? Midwest Firearms? Midwestern Shooters Supply? Or something else?

None of those three seem to offer the function you described. Actually Midwest Guns (a/k/a/ Midwest Sporting Goods) did have entries for S&W 41, but it was only for three new guns - nothing else.
    Last edited by blanketman; November 18th, 2011 at 08:13 PM.

The new base plates (no hole) can be easily removed and the magazine completely disassembled.
    Just grab the the bottom of the spring through the side slots with a dental pick or other tool and pull it away from the base plate. The base plate can then be slid off and the internals removed. Be careful that the spring does not get away from you as you remove the base plate.
    I have 8 or so of the new style 10 rounders and have no problems with any of them with either my factory or Clark barrels.
    Keep in mind per S&W the M41 is designed to run best with CCI SV ammo.
    Last edited by stevew58; November 19th, 2011 at 01:53 AM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by stevew58 View Post
    Keep in mind per S&W the M41 is designed to run best with CCI SV ammo.

+1 with the following caveat.

Not sure if the 41 is designed to use that specific ammo (S&W has been making the 41 for many, many years) but it is a competition pistol at heart and as such, will probably function better with target ammo, which traditionally is subsonic. Perhaps some tweaking and or polishing of the mag feed lips would be in order. Try to ask a gunsmith who specializes in competition pistols. Bottom line: I have never run into aftermarket 41 mags in my experience.

(Montgomery County)

There are two capacities for the Model 41 magazines these days, both made by S&W. A 10 round and a 12 round. Personally, I use only the 10 round version that I usually buy from either Midway or CDNN.

The M41 being designed as a target pistol, does tend to function best with subsonic ammo. I find that Aquila, CCI or Eley standard velocity rounds work best in my late 1960s M41, whereas the comparable Ruger tends to favor the regular velocity (1150 fps or so).

Remember, the recoil spring is an essential part of the pistol and needs to be "adjusted" for velocity of the slide and the power of the mag spring. If the slide recoils too rapidly, the magazine spring may not be fast enough to place the next round in the correct position for loading.

You can see this quite dramatically on either an older High Standard or a Colt Woodsman, which have almost a linear loading position. If the slide recoils too fast, no round available and then a jam. Dave_n

Quote Originally Posted by blanketman View Post
    Midwest ..... ???? ..... Midwest Guns? Midwest Firearms? Midwestern Shooters Supply? Or something else?

None of those three seem to offer the function you described. Actually Midwest Guns (a/k/a/ Midwest Sporting Goods) did have entries for S&W 41, but it was only for three new guns - nothing else.
    this midwest, woops is midway, so sorry.

http://www.midwayusa.com/

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    There are two capacities for the Model 41 magazines these days, both made by S&W. A 10 round and a 12 round. Personally, I use only the 10 round version that I usually buy from either Midway or CDNN.

The M41 being designed as a target pistol, does tend to function best with subsonic ammo. I find that Aquila, CCI or Eley standard velocity rounds work best in my late 1960s M41, whereas the comparable Ruger tends to favor the regular velocity (1150 fps or so).

Remember, the recoil spring is an essential part of the pistol and needs to be "adjusted" for velocity of the slide and the power of the mag spring. If the slide recoils too rapidly, the magazine spring may not be fast enough to place the next round in the correct position for loading.

You can see this quite dramatically on either an older High Standard or a Colt Woodsman, which have almost a linear loading position. If the slide recoils too fast, no round available and then a jam. Dave_n

Could not have said it better. Rep sent.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.