Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: SW MP15 or Colt M4 Carbine?

In the year's to come, you will not regret the purchase of the Colt.

It's value will likely appreciate at a greater rate than the Dow and/or S&P.

If you can swing it, buy quality the first time and you only have to buy once.
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE77 View Post
    You wouldn't go wrong with either one.

If money isn't an issue, then go with the Colt.
    Especially if it is a 6920. At that price it sounds like it.

The 6920's are the most desirable and sought after Colt AR's on the market right now, because of the Restricted LE markings on them.
    The price on them is just sky rocketing..
    I think the resale value is in Colt's favor.

S&W makes a fine instrument though, and it should also suit you needs..
    The 6920 is more vaunted for because it's truly in spec, not necessarily because of the LE markings.

You're getting QUALITY in every piece of the puzzle and a gun that is built right. Things like MPI and HPT bolt/barrel that you might only get batch style testing with the S&W.

In all honesty though smith builds a great gun and has great customer service (if something should break that is).

If it were me, I'd get the smith and a case of wolf and whatever upgrades you may have considered. (free float, optic etc)
    Last edited by Kaos; February 13th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
    In the year's to come, you will not regret the purchase of the Colt.

It's value will likely appreciate at a greater rate than the Dow and/or S&P.

If you can swing it, buy quality the first time and you only have to buy once.
    Agreed..

Again, if you have the extra dough to spare, go with the Colt.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Chester County)

The S&W doesn't have the detachable carry handle which is where I was trying to make my point Ronnie. That's why I was suggesting that the OP think about whether she will want to add an optic later on down the line. It's feasible with a carry handle but a flattop would be preferred.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post
    The S&W doesn't have the detachable carry handle which is where I was trying to make my point Ronnie. That's why I was suggesting that the OP think about whether she will want to add an optic later on down the line. It's feasible with a carry handle but a flattop would be preferred.
    I thought you were saying that you would have to mount optics to Colt's carry handle.

I misunderstood.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for your input and help, everyone!

The tally is about even for both guns. Since I have not seen the Colt yet, the best thing to do is go to the shop, and consider the pros and cons for each. From the discussion, I am leaning toward the Colt, though, for resale value and quality. I probably will not add optics and a hand guard immediately.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    The 6920 is more vaunted for because it's truly in spec, not necessarily because of the LE markings.

You're getting QUALITY in every piece of the puzzle and a gun that is built right. Things like MPI and HPT bolt/barrel that you might only get batch style testing with the S&W.

In all honesty though smith builds a great gun and has great customer service (if something should break that is).

If it were me, I'd get the smith and a case of wolf and whatever upgrades you may have considered. (free float, optic etc)
    Yes, you are getting quality in every piece of the puzzle, that is why people have been buying them for years, and that is why I would buy one..

But recently, everyone has been going crazy for them, because of the collector's factor of the LE markings...
    I was at the recent gun shows, and everyone I overheard at the AR tables were asking for the Colt with the LE markings on them.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7

(Philadelphia County)

S&W CS is outstanding, but balance it out with the fact that I had to send my M&P 15T back twice, once for PMAG fitting issue, once for a broken safety. The second round they actually replaced a bunch of internal parts as a courtesy. I just found out a few days ago that Thermold mags also have fitting issues (won't lock into the mag catch). Now I'm debating whether or not to send it back in for the 3rd time.

Al

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    Thanks for your input and help, everyone!

The tally is about even for both guns. Since I have not seen the Colt yet, the best thing to do is go to the shop, and consider the pros and cons for each. From the discussion, I am leaning toward the Colt, though, for resale value and quality. I probably will not add optics and a hand guard immediately.

Lisa, The Colt.

Always the Colt. Five years from now people will say, an SW what?? What you want to hear is, a Colt 6920 oughhhh, ahhhhhhhhh, sweet.

Bob D

(Chester County)

If I could have only 1, for all the years to come, and all the situations which might arise, it'd be the Colt.

S&W makes a great gun, better than any of the other big names that do the kind of volume they do (LMT and Noveske are next to impossible to find right now, and don't turn out as many guns as S&W does).

S&W has had some growing pains with their AR's, and has used a variety of different suppliers for their parts. But quality during assembly is typically pretty good, but not AS good as Colt. I've seen well over a dozen M&P rifles needing to go back (across their entire time on the market, including as recent as last week), and virtually NO Colts needing to go back.

This past weekend I saw 1 S&W with feeding issues, wouldn't feed off the left side of the mag. So I'm thinking magazine issue...go to put my PMAG in, won't lock in. Gun was made VERY recently. Lubed this shit out of it, it started to run better...but was a little mag sensitive.

Had another M&P 15T that cycled fine, but the 12 oclock rail was probably 1/8" off center to the left....NO way were you going to span the receiver-rail for ANY kind of mount. It was glaringly obvious, and shouldn't have left the factory like that.

That said, S&W is without question one of the best values at their price point. And if you have an issue, they'll take care of it.

If you can spare the cash, the Colt is a better carbine.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast